Cheapest way to get LTE service from Verizon/AT&T/USCC?

Trip

Very quick note about Verizon.  Two weeks ago, I suddenly noticed my Verizon phone would no longer connect to LTE.  It would only connect to 1X and EV-DO (note, not eHRPD).  That was approximately three months from the time my Verizon phone was first turned on.  I tried rebooting and other things (other than putting money on it) and didn't get a satisfactory result.

On a hunch, this week I bought a new Verizon SIM for it.  It came in the mail today.  I turned off the phone, popped out the old SIM, put the new one in, and it jumped right onto Verizon LTE when I turned it on.

So it seems that Verizon may deactivate LTE access on SIMs that aren't activated for three months.  But, again, having to throw a few dollars at it every few months to be able to record where Verizon cell sites are seems like a good deal, much like the AT&T deal.

- Trip

It's a SIM card issue and I have seen it several times on 1gen cards. The only Verizon device that failed to get anything done after some time (with exception of data) was my old Thunderbold. 

• 7 months later...

Following up here briefly for those that may care, I ordered an unlocked Moto G4 Play and it's perfect!  $130 from Amazon, stuck in a Verizon SIM, and it was painless to unlock the bootloader and then root it so that I could get EARFCN data out of it in SCP.  I ordered another one as well while it was on sale.  (My LG Leon LTE for MetroPCS/T-Mobile is having GPS problems and I want to replace it.)

- Trip

• 7 months later...

Now that Android 7 includes EARFCN data in the API, what's the cheapest phone to get the most information out of each network? I'd like to get one phone each for Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile and US Cellular and then get the cheapest SIM card I can for them.

Now that Android 7 includes EARFCN data in the API, what's the cheapest phone to get the most information out of each network? I'd like to get one phone each for Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile and US Cellular and then get the cheapest SIM card I can for them.

I haven't updated this thread in quite a while.  Here's what I'm using now.  All rooted devices have Network Signal Guru for band locking and, with the exception of the AT&T phone which is now on Android 7 and uses the API method, for EARFCN retrieval in SignalCheck Pro.

Verizon - I have a rooted Moto G4 Play, which is expecting an update to Android 7 any day now.  Every 90 days, I swap out the SIM, and though it has no service, it does connect to LTE and provide information on the network.

AT&T - I have a rooted HTC One M9, which is running Android 7.  I recently replaced H2O Wireless with the new FreedomPop LTE-only SIM, which has a free 200MB monthly.  The LTE seems more reliable on FreedomPop too.  I replaced my Nexus 5 with the M9 since my sister on Project Fi needed a loaner phone when her 5X started to boot loop and I wanted a replacement phone with Band 30.  (I've now gotten the Nexus 5 back, but it doesn't support the root method of EARFCN retrieval, it won't get an Android 7 update, and I don't know what to do with it.)

US Cellular - I have a rooted Moto G4 Play, which is expecting an update to Android 7 any day now.  I can put 30 days of service on it for $10, and it won't connect to LTE without service (US Cellular appears to be SRLTE only, so without service, it only connects to 1X). 

T-Mobile - I have a rooted Moto G3, which will not be updated to Android 7 from what I understand.  The T-Mobile SIM has no service on it, but connects to LTE anyway.  The phone does not support Band 12.

T-Mobile - I have a non-rooted BLU R1 HD, which will not be updated to Android 7 from what I understand.  It has a MetroPCS SIM in it, but connects to LTE anyway.  It has a utility on it which allows band locking, but no ability to get EARFCN, so the phone is perpetually locked on Band 12 only.  No need for EARFCN when you always know what it's going to be!

I suspect there are now cheaper phones that would work, but I'm happy with what I have for the moment--for the most part.  I'm keeping an eye open for something that's Band 66 capable with the idea of using it to replace either my Verizon or US Cellular phone (and using the G4 Play it replaces with T-Mobile and using the G3 for something else), but I haven't seen anything inexpensive in that category yet.

- Trip

• Like 2