Samsung Galaxy S7 Rumors thread

bitslizer

Since the phone is rumored to have water resistance, I wonder if it will have a cover for the charging port. It would be cool if there wasn't one...maybe they could accomplish that with an internal flap that seals the port when not charging. Or maybe a nanoscale hydrophobic coating :D

I just hope there isn't a cover than needs long fingernails to remove.

Since the phone is rumored to have water resistance, I wonder if it will have a cover for the charging port. It would be cool if there wasn't one...maybe they could accomplish that with an internal flap that seals the port when not charging. Or maybe a nanoscale hydrophobic coating :D

I just hope there isn't a cover than needs long fingernails to remove.

Generally, since resistance isn't waterproof, the port can just have a sealed pass through and may still be subject to corrosion if not cleaned after immersion.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

My enthusiasm for the S7 & S7E lessened a bit after 2 leaks - similar design to the S6 family and marginal improvement in Geekbench scores. I might not preorder this time around but wait after the launch.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

S4 - it'll be nice to have the CCA radios.

Why just have CCA bands when you can have all the LTE bands in the USA and 3x Carrier Aggregation to boot!

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-405-teaser-samsung-galaxy-s7-and-s7-edge-one-of-us-one-variant-each-for-all-of-the-us/

• Like 6

It has all the  bands! The Samsung S7 has just gotten very interesting. Satisfying carrier obligations and selling a BYOD device is a good move probably expensive but also appreciated move on there part, if they follow through.

Since it has all the bands Samsung should sell an unlocked version compatible with all carriers like the Nexus phones and Moto X Pure Edition.

This is what I am hoping for.

Since it has all the bands Samsung should sell an unlocked version compatible with all carriers like the Nexus phones and Moto X Pure Edition.

An unlocked version with full domestic band support certainly does seem like a strong possibility.  Even though there will be just one "US" hardware variant, it has come to light that separate firmware still will create operator specific variants.  The Sprint variant, for example, will support the usual CCA/RRPP compliant bands 2/4/5/12/25/26/41, while other LTE bands for VZW and AT&T will be locked out.

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=17201

AJ

• Like 3

An unlocked version with full domestic band support certainly does seem like a strong possibility.  Even though there will be just one "US" hardware variant, it has come to light that separate firmware still will create operator specific variants.  The Sprint variant, for example, will support the usual CCA/RRPP compliant bands 2/4/5/12/25/26/41, while other LTE bands for VZW and AT&T will be locked out.

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=17201

AJ

How do the RF numbers hold up on this device for Sprint?

How do the RF numbers hold up on this device for Sprint?

On paper, the tested RF ERP/EIRP for the Samsung Galaxy S7 is as good as or better than that of the Samsung Galaxy S6 -- especially on band 41.  I have not examined the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge filings.

AJ

• Like 4

Hi, do we know what kind of SIM card the Sprint S7 will use? I would like to get the Sim to be prepared.

Thank You

The Sprint variant Samsung Galaxy S7 will be sold with the SIM card installed.  This is not BYOD.  You need not obtain a SIM card in advance.

AJ

The Sprint variant Samsung Galaxy S7 will be sold with the SIM card installed. This is not BYOD. You need not obtain a SIM card in advance.

AJ

Do you think this would hold true if you do Samsung's leasing service?

How does apple do it currently, do they ship with carriers SIM installed ?

Do you think this would hold true if you do Samsung's leasing service?

How does apple do it currently, do they ship with carriers SIM installed ?

I am not familiar with Samsung's leasing service.  But as long as Samsung does not offer only an unlocked version of the "US" hardware, you will have to select the "P" variant to use it on Sprint.  And it should come with an installed SIM card.

AJ

I'm still a GS4 user.  I can get at my simcard still.  How is that handled with these phones that don't have removable batteries?  Is that externally accessible like the SD card will be or do you have to dismantle the phone as if for repair (how is that done -screws, snap latch removable back, etc?) to replace one?

Now that I think about it, what about all the traditional labeling?  Is there a data-plate with model serial, etc like in the battery compartment of the GS4?  Is that external or under some other service cover?

Can an owner replace parts like I can with the GS4?  I replaced my usb port module once and that was cheap and handy to be able to do.

I also just posted a question on the FCC article.  Where are we at as far as VOLTE support goes?  Do any of the latest generation phones have an indication that Sprint is closer to implementing a VOLTE system yet?

Is there any other provision for simultaneous voice and B41 LTE data capability with these phones?

-Thanks.

I'm still a GS4 user. I can get at my simcard still. How is that handled with these phones that don't have removable batteries? Is that externally accessible like the SD card will be or do you have to dismantle the phone as if for repair (how is that done -screws, snap latch removable back, etc?) to replace one?

Now that I think about it, what about all the traditional labeling? Is there a data-plate with model serial, etc like in the battery compartment of the GS4? Is that external or under some other service cover?

Can an owner replace parts like I can with the GS4? I replaced my usb port module once and that was cheap and handy to be able to do.

I also just posted a question on the FCC article. Where are we at as far as VOLTE support goes? Do any of the latest generation phones have an indication that Sprint is closer to implementing a VOLTE system yet?

Is there any other provision for simultaneous voice and B41 LTE data capability with these phones?

-Thanks.

VoLTE is still far away for Sprint, as usual for Sprint.

The SIM card is on the outside housing.

VoLTE is still far away for Sprint, as usual for Sprint.

That sounds like a criticism of Sprint.  But Sprint has little reason to rush to VoLTE.  Other operators need VoLTE for LTE spectrum refarming -- Sprint does not.  And the band class 10 CDMA1X 800 carrier, which is not hindering LTE deployment at all, has increased Sprint reliability dramatically.

AJ

• Like 5

That sounds like a criticism of Sprint. But Sprint has little reason to rush to VoLTE. Other operators need VoLTE for LTE spectrum refarming -- Sprint does not. And the band class 10 CDMA1X 800 carrier, which is not hindering LTE deployment at all, has increased Sprint reliability dramatically.

AJ

They need it to return to simultaneous voice and data. High speed data this time. GS4 drops back to 3g when I'm on the phone is why I ask.

They need it to return to simultaneous voice and data. High speed data this time. GS4 drops back to 3g when I'm on the phone is why I ask.

With SVDO and/or SVLTE, simultaneous voice/data was a capability on Sprint handsets for a brief moment, 2012-2013.  But simultaneous voice/data does not matter much to millions of Sprint users.  VZW users, too.  Otherwise, they would choose different providers.  If you really want simultaneous voice/data, Sprint probably is not for you.  Alternatively, you can try VoIP calling apps.

AJ

Unlimited data matters to me more, but it never hurts to ask for more capability.

It's nice to be able to do things like have a caller ask me about imminent weather and be able to look up animated radar quickly.

I'm sure there are a myriad of other little such conveniences like that out there. It's always useful to spread those wishes to as many people as possible since you never know when they'll hit the right ears.

It always hurts to have a capability and lose it.

I miss Nextel push to talk too.

Not bad enough that I'm going to pay extra for it now that I don't work for the company that I needed it for back in the day.

It'll be really nice to gain so much storage capacity in the 7 via sdhc so I can put all my notes and illustrated parts catalogs back into my phone and still have tons of space for apps and app data.

Fine example of Samsung listening.

I wonder if Samsung will do something similar to Apple and sell the "US" variant directly to consumers via full price or monthly payments and offer an upgrade after one year. If so, it would be great for people upgrading every year.

I wonder, if one initially buys the Sprint S7 (P variant) and gets it DSU'ed down the line, will it have the same number of bands as the "US" variant? Both scenarios being true would be great.