IT'S THE WiMAX COUNTDOWN!!!

S4GRU

And this is where it gets interesting because Clearwire and Wimax are 1) no longer a company and 2) soon to be a non-operating technology in the ....

You really need to read the origional lease aggreement between Clear and the spectrum license holder http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1285551/000089102007000003/v25599a1exv10w59.txt

When Sprint purchase Clearwire, it must assume the liability. So, Clearwire no longer a company doesn't matter. And the origional offering to license holder only says "free account". It is not specifically tie to WiMax. It also specify how much capacity they will get down to each sector. However, I don't think Clearwire really enforce those capacity limit. 

If you know how Mobile Citizen sell its service, they require you to purchase modem at almost full price. I don't think money for new moden is at the issue. They are going after unlimited data.

• Like 1

Sprint may have to give certain access for education use.  But they can tell Mobile Citizen to go straight to hell and offer service directly to those required.  And the harder Mobile Citizen pushes, the more likely Sprint will work out a solution without them.  Sprint will work this out, as required.  But Mobile Citizen may not like the result.

• Like 5

You really need to read the origional lease aggreement between Clear and the spectrum license holder http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1285551/000089102007000003/v25599a1exv10w59.txt

When Sprint purchase Clearwire, it must assume the liability. So, Clearwire no longer a company doesn't matter. And the origional offering to license holder only says "free account". It is not specifically tie to WiMax. It also specify how much capacity they will get down to each sector. However, I don't think Clearwire really enforce those capacity limit. 

If you know how Mobile Citizen sell its service, they require you to purchase modem at almost full price. I don't think money for new moden is at the issue. They are going after unlimited data.

And you really need to  prove your point before linking to a 200+ page document, and saying "read it". Where in there does it say what you are claiming it to say?

Sprint may have to give certain access for education use.  But they can tell Mobile Citizen to go straight to hell and offer service directly to those required.  And the harder Mobile Citizen pushes, the more likely Sprint will work out a solution without them.  Sprint will work this out, as required.  But Mobile Citizen may not like the result.

Yeah and access protection for EBS licenses for EBS license holders makes sense. John Schwartz doesn't strike me as a "legitimate" EBS entity though. From what I gather he is more akin to a spectrum squatter than a "for the children" do-gooder. And like you say if they are required to offer X amount of service for educational use, Sprint can skip the middle man and offer it directly. Sprint has the leverage here as Mobile Citizen and other related entities sure as hell aren't going to build out and provide service/coverage on their own.

• Like 3

Sprint may have to give certain access for education use. But they can tell Mobile Citizen to go straight to hell and offer service directly to those required. And the harder Mobile Citizen pushes, the more likely Sprint will work out a solution without them. Sprint will work this out, as required. But Mobile Citizen may not like the result.

The only problem for direct2you is Mobile Citizens is the spectrum holder and FCC rule required them provide educational service not the leasee.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The only problem for direct2you is Mobile Citizens is the spectrum holder and FCC rule required them provide educational service not the leasee.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Sprint should give back the EBS leases in the handful of markets where Mobile Citizen is the holder. They will still have BRS and other EBS licenses in most of them. Then how will Mobile Citizen provide service without any network? Are they going to spend a billion building one out quickly? I think not. It will mean their bankruptcy.

Sprint holds all the cards in this negotiation. That's why they're suing, because they're screwed.

And the WiMax clock keeps counting down. Tick, tock, tick tock.

And by the way, what's your interest in this story? What's your skin in this game? You've been awfully concerned for Mobile Citizen.

Using Tapatalk on BlackBerry Z30

• Like 4

Sprint does not have to assume responsibility for Clearwire's contracts and keep WiMax running.  What Clearwire signed for independently from Sprint and what Sprint accepted for terms with their contracts with Clearwire are two different items.  You see this happen in the corporate world all of the time when companies merge, are bought out or fail.

With the FCC, Sprint is replacing WiMax with b41 which is an alternative and in reality, a better system.  If Sprint were to shutdown WiMax without any replacement, there may be an argument with the FCC but that is not the case.  All Mobile Citizen is looking for is unlimited data that is not throttled.  Today, that is not going to happen.

I agree with S4GRU.  Mobile Citizen is grasping for anything to keep themselves viable.  Unfortunately, they will become a distant memory like Blockbuster, Circuit City and others...

• Like 4

Sprint does not have to assume responsibility for Clearwire's contracts and keep WiMax running.  What Clearwire signed for independently from Sprint and what Sprint accepted for terms with their contracts with Clearwire are two different items.  You see this happen in the corporate world all of the time when companies merge, are bought out or fail.

With the FCC, Sprint is replacing WiMax with b41 which is an alternative and in reality, a better system.  If Sprint were to shutdown WiMax without any replacement, there may be an argument with the FCC but that is not the case.  All Mobile Citizen is looking for is unlimited data that is not throttled.  Today, that is not going to happen.

I agree with S4GRU.  Mobile Citizen is grasping for anything to keep themselves viable.  Unfortunately, they will become a distant memory like Blockbuster, Circuit City and others...

A lease is a lease. Sprint has the option of either to break the lease and return the spectrum or assume the liability/privilege under the lease. 

I am not interested in the game. Best option for Sprint may be to break the lease. I have not figure out if there are any penalties associate with termination. Additional question will be if that will create trouble for other EBS lease renewal negotiation in areas Sprint does not have BRS.

I saw some of Mobile Citizen's reseller already start to sell T-mobile's product.

dwnk,

Did you read the SEC filing?  The only parties they would have issue are the six that are mentioned on the filing that are executing licensees.  Mobile Citizen is not mentioned anywhere in the filing nor did the execute the filing.  Mobile Citizen does not have a basis to stand on.

I am willing to bet that Sprint has come to an agreement with the executing parties before the decision was made to shut down WiMax so again, Sprint is not breaking any leases.

dwnk,

Did you read the SEC filing?  The only parties they would have issue are the six that are mentioned on the filing that are executing licensees.  Mobile Citizen is not mentioned anywhere in the filing nor did the execute the filing.  Mobile Citizen does not have a basis to stand on.

I am willing to bet that Sprint has come to an agreement with the executing parties before the decision was made to shut down WiMax so again, Sprint is not breaking any leases.

Mobile Citizen/Voqal is just a d.b.a. owned by those foundations on the lease. The lawsuit is filled by those on the lease not mobile citizen.

dwnk,

Do you even know who Mobile Beacon and Mobile Citizen are? Mobile Beacon is the North American Catholic Educational Programming Foundation and Mobile Citizen is the other 5 listed.

Sprint is required to reserve 5% of the spectrum for free to them. They should live by that limit those users to 5% of the spectrum they are leasing. And keep them off of Band 25 and Band 26. When that 5% fills let them slow down for just that 5%.

Do you even know who Mobile Beacon and Mobile Citizen are? Mobile Beacon is the North American Catholic Educational Programming Foundation and Mobile Citizen is the other 5 listed.

Sprint is required to reserve 5% of the spectrum for free to them. They should live by that limit those users to 5% of the spectrum they are leasing. And keep them off of Band 25 and Band 26. When that 5% fills let them slow down for just that 5%.

Sprint cannot feasibly reserve 5 percent of the EBS spectrum for the licensees and their institutions/middlemen lessors.  In many instances, that would be just 1-5 MHz, potentially even less than 1 MHz.  Sprint cannot do anything useful with that amount of spectrum -- nor probably can the licensees and their institutions/middlemen.  So, do you propose that Sprint reserve 5 percent of band 41 LTE data capacity for the licensees and their institutions/middlemen?

AJ

They should be able to limit them in software to 5% usage. If there is a deal for 20 Mhz then they would be limited to 8Mbps per sector. The same way as there is a heavy user tag there could be an Education tag for the modems they use. Those modems as a group would only be able to connect to band 41 and limited to a total of 8 Mbps when the tower is congested. If the site is uncongested they could use more but still be limited. But they should not be allowed to affect the Sprint users.

• Like 3

They should be able to limit them in software to 5% usage. If there is a deal for 20 Mhz then they would be limited to 8Mbps per sector. The same way as there is a heavy user tag there could be an Education tag for the modems they use. Those modems as a group would only be able to connect to band 41 and limited to a total of 8 Mbps when the tower is congested. If the site is uncongested they could use more but still be limited. But they should not be allowed to affect the Sprint users.

I think this is a good solution.  I'm sure Sprint has offered some sort of solution, which has been rejected by the plaintiffs and thus why there is a lawsuit now.  My guess is that the plaintiffs want more than this, though.  But I think this is all they are entitled to.

And if Sprint would ever be required to offer more, they should walk away from the lease and the lessees can figure out how to serve their customers with no network.

• Like 5

Mobile Beacon tweeted our WiMax Countdown and link to this thread:  https://twitter.com/mobilebeacon/status/656538089049866241

Interesting.

What's with the hashtag "StopSprint"? Never mind, I completely forgot who Mobile Beacon was up until now. :D

-Anthony

Mobile Beacon states that Sprint will be cutting off a subscriber base of 300,000 people.  So, looking at the math, that less than .01% of the total US population of approximately 320 million.  That logic makes total sense.  Lets hold up progress of the many for that of the few...

• Like 4

How will Sprint kill all WiMax sites on Nov 6? Do they go to each site and power down the equipment or does Corp have like a remote kill switch?

Essentially. Of course it's not quite that simple, but a site visit is not required to shut down the network. Now, to physically decommission the site, that will of course require a crew. 

• Like 1

Here come the non-profits trying to delay the shutdown...

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/nonprofits-seek-emergency-injunction-to-stop-sprints-shutdown-and-keep-300000-americans-online-300165897.html

They want a whole 90 day extension and no throttling on the LTE network. That's absurd. They've had plenty of notice that WiMax was being shutdown and Sprint was willing to work with them to migrate to the LTE network. It seems like the non-profits dragged their feet on the transition because Sprint wouldn't provide unmanaged access to the LTE network.

• Like 6

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/nonprofits-seek-emergency-injunction-to-stop-sprints-shutdown-and-keep-300000-americans-online-300165897.html

They want a whole 90 day extension and no throttling on the LTE network. That's absurd. They've had plenty of notice that WiMax was being shutdown and Sprint was willing to work with them to migrate to the LTE network. It seems like the non-profits dragged their feet on the transition because Sprint wouldn't provide unmanaged access to the LTE network.

10 Days, CLEARly it's over ;)

• Like 5

Crazy. They have known for years about the WiMax shutdown coming. And most of these 'disadvantaged' customers were added after the sunset of WiMax was initially announced. Mobile Beacon and Mobile Citizen just continued to add more and more customers, putting them at risk.

There is no way that Sprint can just allow them to have full speed unfettered access to all of their B41 carriers. They will destroy the network.

At best, they are entitled to the equivalence of one WiMax carrier on the B41 LTE network. Which is about 15Mbps of throughput. But they never experienced that on WiMax. So realistically they should receive what WiMax stated throughput speeds were. Which I believe was 2-4Mbps. So they all should be throttled to 4Mbps. Heck, even make it 5Mbps.

Users can migrate to B41 LTE with 5Mbps. They will receive an equal experience as before. But likely better as they get upgraded to 8T8R. And their coverage will be greater.

These disadvantaged customers are not the victim of Sprint, but of Mobile Beacon and Mobile Citizen who ran the clock out on them. It is not Spruint's fault that they waited so long and tried unsuccessfully to get a deal better than they already had.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

• Like 11

While I completely agree with you Robert, the state court may take pity on them and rule in favor because they are providing the service to schools and disabled people who can't go shopping and stuff. Though on the other side Sprint has all of the documentation stating that Wimax will be shutdown this year. It will be interesting to see where it goes and while I do feel bad for the customers of Mobile Beacon and Mobile Citizen I hope that courts side with Sprint. 

• Like 2

Crazy. They have known for years about the WiMax shutdown coming. And most of these 'disadvantaged' customers were added after the sunset of WiMax was initially announced. Mobile Beacon and Mobile Citizen just continued to add more and more customers, putting them at risk.

While I completely agree with you Robert, the state court may take pity on them and rule in favor because they are providing the service to schools and disabled people who can't go shopping and stuff.

"Disadvantaged" individuals using cheap/free WiMAX for home Internet, I can understand.  But somebody needs to explain to me rationally why any schools and libraries -- as these non profits claim -- are using WiMAX for Internet access?  Is it their primary Internet access?  Seriously?  I will say it again.  Seriously?  Where are these schools and libraries?  Better yet, who and what are these schools and libraries?  Via tax payer funding, government programs, and other charitable outreach, schools and libraries have access to far superior wired broadband services almost everywhere.

Mobile Beacon and Mobile Citizen currently provide unlimited broadband service for $10 per month to 429 schools, 61 libraries and 1,820 nonprofit organizations across the country on Sprint's WiMAX network.

AJ

• Like 3