Sprint Roaming+ - Coverage Map Update

clbowens

And, as much as some will say that is subterfuge, it is smart on Sprint's part.  With the roaming indicator still triggered, most users will not realize that their roaming is pseudo native, hence will not go hog wild on "unlimited" data.

AJ

It may end up a customer service issue for some users that are in areas that border roaming+ and regular roaming (for instance, my father-in-laws) as there's not a good way to tell which bucket the data is pulling from.

I don't mind it being labeled roaming (it is after all), I just hope they roll something out on the phones so that it can be differentiated, or so the roaming guards can be better set.

• Like 2

It may end up a customer service issue for some users that are in areas that border roaming+ and regular roaming (for instance, my father-in-laws) as there's not a good way to tell which bucket the data is pulling from.

That may be the point. Keep users on their toes.  Make them think that they may be drawing from their 100/300 MB roaming quota, even if they are not.  That helps prevent abuse of pseudo native service.

I don't mind it being labeled roaming (it is after all), I just hope they roll something out on the phones so that it can be differentiated, or so the roaming guards can be better set.

That is not possible at the system level without Sprint customized firmware on every handset.  Not likely, and users today seem to prefer no operator intervention or bloatware in their firmware.

Additionally, the PRL indicates only native or roaming -- there is not a third option.  So, any special Roaming+ indicator would have to be done with an app.  You can already get that to a degree with SignalCheck Pro, which can match most SIDs with their operator names.  For example, if on VZW, that is roaming.  But if on Nex-Tech Wireless, that is Roaming+.

AJ

Sadness... if that's the case not sure where exactly there is any roaming + in NM...

No, there will not be much, if any Roaming+ in New Mexico.  After the loss of Alltel, New Mexico has few other operators compatible with and friendly with Sprint.  Commnet might be the only one.

AJ

And Commnet will not likely have Roaming+ for Sprint until RRPP LTE implementation.

Using Tapatalk on BlackBerry Z30

I see there are two maps on their website for their coverage. A CDMA coverage and a GSM coverage. If you have a phone that is capable of both (like an iphone) would you roam on CDMA only or on GSM as well?

I see there are two maps on their website for their coverage. A CDMA coverage and a GSM coverage. If you have a phone that is capable of both (like an iphone) would you roam on CDMA only or on GSM as well?

Sprint has no domestic GSM/W-CDMA roaming agreements.

AJ

• Like 1

For the reasons noted, I hope that NGN increases the number of the sites in New Mexico (at least finish I25 from Las Vegas to Walsenburg).

• Like 2

For the reasons noted, I hope that NGN increases the number of the sites in New Mexico (at least finish I25 from Las Vegas to Walsenburg).

That one is on former affiliate Alamosa PCS.  Why Alamosa did not do more in what should have been its biggest, best market is a mystery.

AJ

• Like 1

That one is on former affiliate Alamosa PCS.  Why Alamosa did not do more in what should have been its biggest, best market is a mystery.

AJ

Why hasn't Sprint done anything with it?  Looking at the FCC database, Colfax county they have PCS B (all 30 mhz), PCS D (10 mhz) and PCS G (10 mhz).  In addition SMR which I believe in Colfax is 25 or 26 mhz.  THis is the same as ABQ and more than El Paso. 

Why hasn't Sprint done anything with it? Looking at the FCC database, Colfax county they have PCS B (all 30 mhz), PCS D (10 mhz) and PCS G (10 mhz). In addition SMR which I believe in Colfax is 25 or 26 mhz. THis is the same as ABQ and more than El Paso.

Hasn't passed the cost/benefit analysis. Almost no local population to substantiate cost for service. And the roaming that is occurring as people fly through at 80 MPH has not justified it.

I would like to see it. And there may be enough usage in Raton and Trinidad to support one site in those towns. I wouldn't hold my breath, but something could happen in this gap.

• Like 1

Hasn't passed the cost/benefit analysis. Almost no local population to substantiate cost for service. And the roaming that is occurring as people fly through at 80 MPH has not justified it.

I would like to see it. And there may be enough usage in Raton and Trinidad to support one site in those towns. I wouldn't hold my breath, but something could happen in this gap.

One could hope.  Just through up 800 voice and band 26.  That would be awesome.

• Like 1

Cost of roaming is limited because Sprint is limiting to talk/text over 1x.  If Sprint had a data roaming partner, any Sprint user would use up their entire roaming bucket in that 2hr stretch of freeway. 

• Like 2

However, Roaming+ is under Nationwide Sprint Network and has EVDO roaming

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

If this is the case, it may have been clearer to leave the 3G Off-network Roaming color the same and add a 3G Off-network Roaming + category with a new paler color.  That way you'd easily be able to tell if the Roaming + is 3G or 1x.

That may be the point. Keep users on their toes.  Make them think that they may be drawing from their 100/300 MB roaming quota, even if they are not.  That helps prevent abuse of pseudo native service.

That may be one way to look at it.  Another way is it adds confusion to managing use of my roaming quota.  I wonder how many people will check the coverage map, think they are in a Roaming + area, then burn through regular roaming minutes.

Not providing users a clear way to know what type of coverage they're using seems like a way to generate a lot of unhappy calls to customer service when roaming caps are inadvertently reached.

• Like 3

That may be one way to look at it.  Another way is it adds confusion to managing use of my roaming quota.  I wonder how many people will check the coverage map, think they are in a Roaming + area, then burn through regular roaming minutes.

Not providing users a clear way to know what type of coverage they're using seems like a way to generate a lot of unhappy calls to customer service when roaming caps are inadvertently reached.

I agree.

Sprint hasn't fixed their LTE or Spark coverage yet. Ever since they added Roaming+, they made the rest of their data maps a mess. The older maps were accurate, these updated ones are just flat out wrong and deceiving.

Depends on the area. Some markets are really bad, some are pretty good. They really revamped the LTE (oragne) coverage in the Kansas and Missouri markets to be much more accurate than it was. Spark is still a little excessive. But I know that for other markets, the LTE coverage is still way overdone as well. Not sure why it varies like that.

It's not that its overdone, the problem is that it is completely wrong. Spark no longer shows much 'fair' areas when in reality ALL of Clear LTE is fair once you get past 1000 ft. from a tower. This is some T-Mobile style deception and should be fixed.

Clear's B41 works pretty well in KC... works the basement, and my parent's house is almost a mile from the site.