Sprint Roaming+ - Coverage Map Update

clbowens

Cspire coverage, thus far, has never appeared as native to Sprint customers.  In fact, I still occasionally end up in very rural places and all I find with Cspire is 1x with my 1 remaining sprint phone. Thats a Cspire problem, not a Sprint problem. As cozy as Sprint and Cspire have become, the last thing Cspire wants is to see its customer base erode worse because Mississippians start realizing they can have Cspire at Sprint prices.  Cspire no longer sells unlimited data.  I have 1 friend in Cspire network operations and 2 that work in retail.. all say that in the last two years the company has done away with overtime, skimped on pay raises, scaled back employee appreciation events and been defiant as customers rage about the inability to keep unlimited data plans when they upgrade to LTE devices or buy new unlimited plans. 

Best case scenario is that we end up with LTE access while roaming that isn't counted against us.  But never as native coverage, unless Sprint agrees to stop selling service in the state or allows Cspire to assume its customers. 

Q5Hlyq4.png

2NX1qsC.png

RrILAk8.png

Counted as native, yes. And thats great. But the devices still tell you they are roaming and search for a sprint signal. Prior post point is that i dont see this changing

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Not the point. The point is sprint devices will use the cspire as though it's (pseudo) native and will not have any restrictions other than sprint users plans. They do not count against roaming caps nor can cspire enact anything detrimental to sprint user experience as becoming roaming+ has strict network rules that both sides must adhere to.

So in essence yes the cspire network is considered native to sprint users regardless what type of signal bar icon is shown. What goes on with cspire as a company is irrelevant to sprint users who access their network and use it as they please.

Sent from my Nexus 5

What goes on with cspire as a company is irrelevant to sprint users who access their network and use it as they please.

Sent from my Nexus 5

You're right. Sprint travelers will love visiting the hospitality state and not blowing their roaming cap. But living here is a diff story and the quality of the roaming experience is very much contingent on whats happening at cspire for us. My family all abandoned Sprint. I keep one line active and hope there is a bigger network experience to come to Sprint for in the future. And I am hopeful and cautiously optimistic to see the two companies grow even closer.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Cspire coverage, thus far, has never appeared as native to Sprint customers.   

I believe with the updated PRLs, and other updates to devices, Roaming+ partners will still show as roaming on the notification bar, but will not count against your roaming cap (pseudo-native). 

I believe with the updated PRLs, and other updates to devices, Roaming+ partners will still show as roaming on the notification bar, but will not count against your roaming cap (pseudo-native). 

And, as much as some will say that is subterfuge, it is smart on Sprint's part.  With the roaming indicator still triggered, most users will not realize that their roaming is pseudo native, hence will not go hog wild on "unlimited" data.

AJ

• Like 1

And, as much as some will say that is subterfuge, it is smart on Sprint's part.  With the roaming indicator still triggered, most users will not realize that their roaming is pseudo native, hence will not go hog wild on "unlimited" data.

AJ

If it is true "pseudo native", Boost and Virgin mobile user would be able to access it. This is not the case here.

Right now, I can't find any "Sprint coverage - signal strength varies" area on the map. So I can't compare. I was hoping they could open Roaming + area to Boost/Virgin

I don't think that Boost or Virgin have ever had access to any of the roaming partners, even when they showed as native on Sprint's coverage map.

I don't think that Boost or Virgin have ever had access to any of the roaming partners, even when they showed as native on Sprint's coverage map.

Shentel and nTelos is Yes. Boost/Virgin has access to. I don't remember the Alltell.

Question, if the phone shows as "Roaming" when connected to "Roaming+" partners, does that mean the phone will still drain its battery continually scanning for non-roaming service?

Yes.  That is PRL dictated, as roaming is at lower priority.  Unless at the highest priority already, the PRL always leads search for a higher priority.

AJ

• Like 1

If it is true "pseudo native", Boost and Virgin mobile user would be able to access it. This is not the case here.

There is no hard and fast rule that pseudo-native coverage for Sprint customers has to be pseudo-native for Boost and Virgin.

Speaking of map accuracy, I was looking at Movistar coverage, and I thought this was interesting.

Disclaimer at the bottom:

Dentro de la Cobertura Garantizada pueden presentarse condiciones que afecten el servicio, debido a las características técnicas y al estado de conservación del equipo móvil del usuario o a su uso en el interior de algunos edificios, sitios subterráneos, elevadores, helicópteros, o en lugares que presenten una concentración inusual de usuarios. Nivel de cobertura -104 dBm.

(The first part just says that service may be affected by being in a helicopter, underground, in an elevator etc)

• Like 1

Dentro de la Cobertura Garantizada pueden presentarse condiciones que afecten el servicio, debido a las características técnicas y al estado de conservación del equipo móvil del usuario o a su uso en el interior de algunos edificios, sitios subterráneos, elevadores, helicópteros, o en lugares que presenten una concentración inusual de usuarios. Nivel de cobertura -104 dBm.

(The first part just says that service may be affected by being in a helicopter, underground, in an elevator etc)

Here is the english version of the above from Google

Within the guarantee coverage may occur that affect the service conditions due to the technical characteristics and condition of the user's computer or mobile use inside some buildings, underground sites, elevators, helicopters, or in places that present an unusual concentration of users. Coverage level -104 dBm.

So sprint has some roaming coverage in West West Virgina and some in East Ohio. 

Who is this Provider?  Is that Shentel's market?  Looking at USCC map, they do East Weste Virginia so it isn't USCC.  Having looked at USCC map, looks like they are about done with the LTE upgrades.

So sprint has some roaming coverage in West West Virgina and some in East Ohio.

Who is this Provider? Is that Shentel's market? Looking at USCC map, they do East Weste Virginia so it isn't USCC. Having looked at USCC map, looks like they are about done with the LTE upgrades.

Ntelos (now Shentel) had some coverage in those areas you're mentioning.

I can't tell the difference between their roaming+ "color" and the offnetwork roaming color... is there a way to change them?

If you have a different device or screen you can view the site on, one might show colors better over another.

But really... They just chose a bad color scheme.

• Like 2