Sprint Roaming+ - Coverage Map Update

clbowens

Just now a whole bunch bright purple 3G on network roaming turned to Roaming+.  Like the South Dakota blob.  USCC turned to light purple Sprint 3G off-network roaming.  

Someone is confused... now there is no Roaming + !

Still there for me.  I just had to zoom in oast the highest zoom level for it to appear.

Well that's strange. I don't see it on any zoom level.

I just checked in another browser and I still see it.  So it's not a cache issue for me.  You did switch to 3G & More in the drop down, right?  That's the only place it shows.

• Like 1

I just checked in another browser and I still see it.  So it's not a cache issue for me.  You did switch to 3G & More in the drop down, right?  That's the only place it shows.

Yes, this computer was off all weekend, so I don't know. I would upload a screenshot, but my dropbox isn't working. Oh well. Must be this computer.

Yes, this computer was off all weekend, so I don't know. I would upload a screenshot, but my dropbox isn't working. Oh well. Must be this computer.

The only other thing I can think of is I am not showing any device in the Device Specific Coverage selector.  If you are showing a specific device, that could be the difference.

Better question would be why not roll out entirely new maps?

And possibly switch to a non gradated coverage map tool?  You know, like certain other wireless operators who will not be named.  That is the risk.  No thanks.  Beware what you wish for...

The current Sprint coverage map tool is by no means perfect.  But it presents signal gradated maps, which easily can be saved as GIFs.  And there is a workaround for the small map window.  Good enough.

AJ

Ya'll should look at Westphalia, Michigan on the maps.  Its Roaming for the Voice map, but shows fair B25 LTE.  I can tell you from driving my kid to daycare there almost daily for two years that Roaming barely works for voice and there is no data coverage at all.

• Like 1

??? Do you mean RRPP or CCA?

Shared network alliance members are roaming partners who adhere to sprint requirements for network performance and deployment goals in return for reciprocal pseudo native roaming.

Rural roaming preferred partners are all networks who sign new roaming agreements with sprint.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Shared network alliance members are roaming partners who adhere to sprint requirements for network performance and deployment goals in return for reciprocal pseudo native roaming.

Rural roaming preferred partners are all networks who sign new roaming agreements with sprint.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Oh. Is there a list of these providers somewhere?

I hope this means more roaming and more services while roaming. I don't think the other carriers always tell you when you are roaming. They make the roaming network look like their native network on your phone. The only way to check is to mis-dial a GSM feature code and listen for the Carrier's name in the message.

I hope "Roaming +" is T-Mobile roaming and/or larger allotments of VZW Roaming and Data and more aggressive roaming PRL's.

The + actually looks like a small t.

Happy for the mid-western folks if this helps them out.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

I hope this means more roaming and more services while roaming. I don't think the other carriers always tell you when you are roaming. They make the roaming network look like their native network on your phone. The only way to check is to mis-dial a GSM feature code and listen for the Carrier's name in the message.

I hope "Roaming +" is T-Mobile roaming and/or larger allotments of VZW Roaming and Data and more aggressive roaming PRL's.

The + actually looks like a small t.

Happy for the mid-western folks if this helps them out.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Roaming+ at the moment looks like it's just EVDo roaming but it'll count toward your regular data usage as opposed to your roaming data allotment. Hopefully, in the near future, all of the Roaming+ areas will be LTE roaming areas.

The Sprint 3G roaming is also EVDO roaming but that does go against your roaming data allotment. The main carrier in this category seems to be US Cellular. Perhaps this roaming distinction is being made in preparation for the LTE roaming deals going live.

Looks like Mississippi, Kansas and Oklahoma are mostly Roaming+ on the coverage map.

Of course.  C Spire, Nex-Tech Wireless, United Wireless, Pioneer Cellular, and PTCI.  No surprises there.

AJ

Looks like Mississippi, Kansas and Oklahoma are mostly Roaming+ on the coverage map.

These areas had long been served by pseudo-native coverage, though the agreement lapsed last year for a couple of the carriers, so most of Kansas and Oklahoma went to roaming. Sprint and these smaller carriers struck a new deal as part of the CCA/RRPP to provide pseudo-native coverage once again.

• Like 3

Cspire coverage, thus far, has never appeared as native to Sprint customers.  In fact, I still occasionally end up in very rural places and all I find with Cspire is 1x with my 1 remaining sprint phone. Thats a Cspire problem, not a Sprint problem. As cozy as Sprint and Cspire have become, the last thing Cspire wants is to see its customer base erode worse because Mississippians start realizing they can have Cspire at Sprint prices.  Cspire no longer sells unlimited data.  I have 1 friend in Cspire network operations and 2 that work in retail.. all say that in the last two years the company has done away with overtime, skimped on pay raises, scaled back employee appreciation events and been defiant as customers rage about the inability to keep unlimited data plans when they upgrade to LTE devices or buy new unlimited plans. 

Best case scenario is that we end up with LTE access while roaming that isn't counted against us.  But never as native coverage, unless Sprint agrees to stop selling service in the state or allows Cspire to assume its customers. 

• Like 1