iPhone 6S/6S Plus User Thread

MacinJosh

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've never done anything special for the sake of battery life so starting now seems off.

The other odd thing is that my phone often switches off at 20% battery indicating it's proper flat. Plug it in, comes back up and starts charging from 20%...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never done anything special for the sake of battery life so starting now seems off.

The other odd thing is that my phone often switches off at 20% battery indicating it's proper flat. Plug it in, comes back up and starts charging from 20%...

That sounds like battery damage to me. You should probably take your phone to the Apple Store.

• Like 2

I don't know the best advice to give you since if I recall you're in South Africa, but in the US if you bring your phone to an Apple Store the first thing they'll recommend is a restore. A previous poster suggested to factory restore and then manually install your apps back on. That's good advice, but is a pain in the butt and you lose all of your historical data as well. Before doing that I'd suggest you perform a DFU restore (Device Firmware Update). This does the same thing as a Restore, but also give you a fresh install of the Device Firmware as well - and given your symptoms I think this would be warranted. Here's a good site describing what a DFU restore is and how to perform it: http://www.payetteforward.com/why-does-my-iphone-suddenly-turn-off-even-though-still-have-battery-life-remaining-heres-the-real-fix/

If after all of that your device is still suffering from the symptoms you describe, I'd perform a factory restore and install all apps manually. After that, if you're still having the same issues you need to go through whatever international service that Apple provides to replace / repair your device in your area.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, I did a fresh install as well as an iCloud restore (similar results). Battery performance didn't improve but I've had no further incidents of the phone shutting down at 20%. I've since become aware of someone else with an iPhone 6 that has also seen shutdowns at 20%...so maybe that's a bug.

Ignoring the 20% thing, battery performance is really poor. As in charging morning, noon and evening.

I took my phone in to an iStore and they ran a diagnostic test and all tests passed...including battery. They are now doing subjective tests to reach a decision...

What sort of battery life are you guys getting?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So, I did a fresh install as well as an iCloud restore (similar results). Battery performance didn't improve but I've had no further incidents of the phone shutting down at 20%. I've since become aware of someone else with an iPhone 6 that has also seen shutdowns at 20%...so maybe that's a bug.

Ignoring the 20% thing, battery performance is really poor. As in charging morning, noon and evening.

I took my phone in to an iStore and they ran a diagnostic test and all tests passed...including battery. They are now doing subjective tests to reach a decision...

What sort of battery life are you guys getting?

Depends on my usage and what apps are running.  Typically in twelve hours, I will have 50% left with some, not heavy, use of the phone.  Some days, I will return home with 60+%, others, under 20%.

An example, I was on the phone for an hour last night and used 12% of the battery.  If I do use an app like Facebook Messenger, I have found the battery drains quickly so I close the app when I am finished though I use it rarely.  My wife uses this app extensively and both her iPad and iPhone will go from full charge to less than 10% in three to four hours.

• 2 weeks later...

My new phone arrived from Apple!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Make sure to let us know if it fixed your issue. :)

-Anthony

Hey Anthony. So far so good. I don't look at the battery stats much because I'm not having any issues. Getting "full day" battery. :)

• Like 1

Hey Anthony. So far so good. I don't look at the battery stats much because I'm not having any issues. Getting "full day" battery. :)

I was having similar issues with my 6S; went through the DFU restore process which seemed to fix the issue for a while, but after a few days I started seeing the same results. I finally took it to the Apple Store and even though it passed their diagnostics tests, they replaced the phone (it was still under the 12 month factory warranty at the time). I don't want to jinx anything, but for the past 6 weeks or so I have been getting unbelievable battery life; between 3-6% per hour depending on usage for the day - which is more than enough for a full day battery.

One item of note, my original 6S had the Samsung chip, whereas this new device has the TSMC chip. There very well may be a correlation there.

I was having similar issues with my 6S; went through the DFU restore process which seemed to fix the issue for a while, but after a few days I started seeing the same results. I finally took it to the Apple Store and even though it passed their diagnostics tests, they replaced the phone (it was still under the 12 month factory warranty at the time). I don't want to jinx anything, but for the past 6 weeks or so I have been getting unbelievable battery life; between 3-6% per hour depending on usage for the day - which is more than enough for a full day battery.

One item of note, my original 6S had the Samsung chip, whereas this new device has the TSMC chip. There very well may be a correlation there.

How can you tell whether you've got Samsung or TSMC?

• Like 1

How can you tell whether you've got Samsung or TSMC?

There is an app for that!

Lirum Device Info Lite - System Monitor by Rogerio Hirooka

https://appsto.re/us/-AarJ.i

But basically if there is an "m" in the Hardware Model information in that app, then you have a TSMC chip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

So I'm assuming the TSMC chips are generally better then?

So I'm assuming the TSMC chips are generally better then?

I can't find the thread, but yes, there were reports that the Samsung chips were up to 15% less efficient than the TSMC, losing up to an hour or more of battery life during normal use when compared to one another.

I can't find the thread, but yes, there were reports that the Samsung chips were up to 15% less efficient than the TSMC, losing up to an hour or more of battery life during normal use when compared to one another.

Lucky I have a TSMC chip haha

19f657d08c5e707971793e082741aca8.png

Win!

Yes sir!

The downside about that app, or rather what Apple did with iOS 10, is that the battery detail that was available on iOS 9.3.5 and below used to be amazing: current temperature, number of charging cycles, current voltage, current amp while charging...however Apple killed the access to the APIs that provided that data in iOS 10. It's still a good app, but I had grown accustomed to the detail it provided prior to iOS 10.

• 2 months later...

So it turns out the issue of the phone shutting down at or around the 30-40% mark is a known issue that Apple is pseudo-addressing by offering free replacement batteries for select 6S devices manufactured during a certain period. I had this issue and was fortunate enough to get a replacement phone for this issue back in August and the replacement device was working perfectly, getting on average 3-7% of usage per hour (depending on my usage of the device) which was more than sufficient for a day or more of life from one charge. However, Sunday 11/13 I noticed my battery suddenly began draining much more rapidly to the point that the phone wouldn't last more than 6 hours or so on a full charge, even with minimal to no usage (this date aligns fairly closely to when I updated to 10.1.1). Since then I've performed multiple DFU restores, Restore from backup, complete factory reset as new and manually installing all of my apps, yet its improved slightly, I'm still seeing an unnecessary battery drain. I updated to 10.2 yesterday but the issue persists - For example, the phone was at 100% when I went to bed last night around 11:30, woke up at 3:30 AM (we have three kids under that age of five, 3:30 is not that unusual...) and it was at 64%; switched to airplane mode and the woke back up around 6 AM and the phone was then at 51%. Back when the issue began I created a very meticulous spreadsheet where I've been tracking daily usage, and even though I'm using my device minimally, I'm still seeing 7-8% battery drain per hour. It's certainly not significant enough for most people to notice, but previously if I were to basically let my phone sit on my desk, touching it maybe twice an hour, I'd be getting 2-3% battery drain and be heading to my car at the end of the day at 65-70%; now I'm lucky if I can make it through the day without having to plug in. If I actually USE the device, I'm charging 2-3 times per day.

Yes, I'm a bit OCD about my battery usage....but this is driving me absolutely insane. I just despise the fact that i need to constantly monitor my battery and always keep a charger near me.

So it turns out the issue of the phone shutting down at or around the 30-40% mark is a known issue that Apple is pseudo-addressing by offering free replacement batteries for select 6S devices manufactured during a certain period. I had this issue and was fortunate enough to get a replacement phone for this issue back in August and the replacement device was working perfectly, getting on average 3-7% of usage per hour (depending on my usage of the device) which was more than sufficient for a day or more of life from one charge. However, Sunday 11/13 I noticed my battery suddenly began draining much more rapidly to the point that the phone wouldn't last more than 6 hours or so on a full charge, even with minimal to no usage (this date aligns fairly closely to when I updated to 10.1.1). Since then I've performed multiple DFU restores, Restore from backup, complete factory reset as new and manually installing all of my apps, yet its improved slightly, I'm still seeing an unnecessary battery drain. I updated to 10.2 yesterday but the issue persists - For example, the phone was at 100% when I went to bed last night around 11:30, woke up at 3:30 AM (we have three kids under that age of five, 3:30 is not that unusual...) and it was at 64%; switched to airplane mode and the woke back up around 6 AM and the phone was then at 51%. Back when the issue began I created a very meticulous spreadsheet where I've been tracking daily usage, and even though I'm using my device minimally, I'm still seeing 7-8% battery drain per hour. It's certainly not significant enough for most people to notice, but previously if I were to basically let my phone sit on my desk, touching it maybe twice an hour, I'd be getting 2-3% battery drain and be heading to my car at the end of the day at 65-70%; now I'm lucky if I can make it through the day without having to plug in. If I actually USE the device, I'm charging 2-3 times per day.

Yes, I'm a bit OCD about my battery usage....but this is driving me absolutely insane. I just despise the fact that i need to constantly monitor my battery and always keep a charger near me.

I had the same issue, got my battery replaced last friday. Here is the link to check device eligibility if anyone else thinks they might be experiencing the same issue:

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6s-unexpectedshutdown/

I had the same issue, got my battery replaced last friday. Here is the link to check device eligibility if anyone else thinks they might be experiencing the same issue:

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6s-unexpectedshutdown/

Did the replacement battery fix the issue? I'm not referring to the battery dropping out at 30%, rather what appears to be a constant battery drain above and beyond normal use. My current device is not eligible for the free replacement and it's now out of warranty, so I'd be shelling out $80 to get it fixed.....but it's such a freaking nuisance to me that I'd be willing to pay that if I knew it would fix the issue!

Did the replacement battery fix the issue? I'm not referring to the battery dropping out at 30%, rather what appears to be a constant battery drain above and beyond normal use. My current device is not eligible for the free replacement and it's now out of warranty, so I'd be shelling out $80 to get it fixed.....but it's such a freaking nuisance to me that I'd be willing to pay that if I knew it would fix the issue!

If you look at the "Usage" and "Standby times" in the Battery menu in the settings, what do they say? If your "Usage" and "Standby" times are the same, then there is something that is causing the device to never go fully into Standby and could be the cause of your excessive battery drain.

Also, have you considered just taking it to the Apple Store to have them run the diagnostics on it just to tell you if there is a problem with the battery? It's free to have the diagnostics done, and you only pay if you have them perform a repair. Make sure to make an appointment, as they don't typically serve walkins in any sort of a speedy manner.

-Anthony

Battery drain issues I had seem to be resolved. I went from almost two full charges per day to one charge which lasts me a day and half or so.

• Like 1

If you look at the "Usage" and "Standby times" in the Battery menu in the settings, what do they say? If your "Usage" and "Standby" times are the same, then there is something that is causing the device to never go fully into Standby and could be the cause of your excessive battery drain.

Also, have you considered just taking it to the Apple Store to have them run the diagnostics on it just to tell you if there is a problem with the battery? It's free to have the diagnostics done, and you only pay if you have them perform a repair. Make sure to make an appointment, as they don't typically serve walkins in any sort of a speedy manner.

-Anthony

I know every "trick of the trade" in terms of battery analysis, believe me. I could write a book on it. At this point, something has gone haywire with the battery stats function of my phone as apps seem to arbitrarily jump all around - today my Mail app has hovered between 45-60% of my usage, even though I've used the app for maybe two minutes. Yesterday, Siri ate up 11%, didn't use Siri once. These ambiguous and arbitrary stats are yet another cause for me to think something is wrong with the device. In fact, the 90 seconds it took me to write this reply ate up 5% of my battery. By no means is it earth shattering, but it's freaking driving me nuts.