Place to see clearwire conversions?

RAvirani

@Ascertion

When you say they will probably replace with Nokia panels starting Nov 6, is this within a specfic region that was awarded to Nokia [see below] or potential within the Samsung or ALU portion of the Network?

Also given the Nokia-ALU acquisition, any ideas for the forum moderator/membership community on if Sprint will decide to lean more on the Nokia side for equipment instead of ALU equipment? This would have an impact on the antenna suppliers I think. Or will they give more to Samsung to even it out between the future two vendors?

From what I know, there were 36,000 sites, split 3 ways between the OEMs. Post the acquisition of ALU by Nokia, it would have 24k vs 12k for Samsung. The geo split was NE & SW for ALU, TX and SE for Nokia and NW & Mid West North for Samsung.

Also is ALU still using mostly RFS antennas and Nokia is using Commscope antennas????

@Ascertion

When you say they will probably replace with Nokia panels starting Nov 6, is this within a specfic region that was awarded to Nokia [see below] or potential within the Samsung or ALU portion of the Network?

Also given the Nokia-ALU acquisition, any ideas for the forum moderator/membership community on if Sprint will decide to lean more on the Nokia side for equipment instead of ALU equipment? This would have an impact on the antenna suppliers I think. Or will they give more to Samsung to even it out between the future two vendors?

From what I know, there were 36,000 sites, split 3 ways between the OEMs. Post the acquisition of ALU by Nokia, it would have 24k vs 12k for Samsung. The geo split was NE & SW for ALU, TX and SE for Nokia and NW & Mid West North for Samsung.

Also is ALU still using mostly RFS antennas and Nokia is using Commscope antennas????

It's actually mispoken.

Clearwire WiMax will shut down on November 6. On that date all WiMax equipment goes offline or is blocked but they're already thinning WiMax out in numerous Clear markets by firing up a 2nd Band 41 TDD-LTE carrier on Samsung dual mode equipment. Those can and will stay indefinitely until the regional 2.5 vendor (ALU / STA / NSN) deems it not neccesary (insufficient Clearwire backhaul provisioning or just better Sprint site location if they're adjacent and redundant). In those Samsung Clear markets I envision those that have the backhaul provisioning to support 2 band 41 carriers will stay for a while. 

Huawei markets are the ones where we will see a lot of work being done since Sprint was ordered by the Feds to decomission their equipment. The Huawei Clear equipment are quite inferior compared to even Samsungs dual mode equipment  as it only supports a single 20 mhz B41 carrier + a 2nd 10 mhz B41 carrier vs up to 4 20 mhz B41 carriers [split sector 2T4R] for Samsung.

In quite a few markets we have the first initial evidence of complete one for one replacements of Huawei sites with the regional vendor (Samsung in this case since they're the markets we have the largest sponsor member base in). From what we've discovered so far they're doing a 1 for 1 equipment replacement of 3 new antennas / 3 radios/ new hybrid cabling and new base stations to replace the old. 

As of right now there is no change in acquisition / deployment as Alcatel-Lucent has not been formally bought out by Nokia. They're in the process of being bought out but things could happen and deals may fall apart at the last minute. So they're continuing the original contract as is. 

If or when Nokia does they'll be the vendor for both former ALU territory and Ericsson land so they'll have about 2/3rds of Sprints current macro site numbers (about 30-35K including Clear site counts within said territories). Samsung will maybe have about 15-18K plus any future site density adds or new market expansions like Montana

See my magnificant photoshopping skills:

fzrCqbQ.jpg

-- Yep for ALU. Nokia uses a bit of eveyones. Samsung is predominately KMW but uses the others on occasion.  There's also Triband antennas in existence as well. These limit the 2.5 radios to 4T4R and half the potential capacity (3x20 vs 6x20) but are useful for more space constrained sites like flagpoles. 

• Like 3

It's actually mispoken.

Clearwire WiMax will shut down on November 6. On that date all WiMax equipment goes offline or is blocked but they're already thinning WiMax out in numerous Clear markets by firing up a 2nd Band 41 TDD-LTE carrier on Samsung dual mode equipment. Those can and will stay indefinitely until the regional 2.5 vendor (ALU / STA / NSN) deems it not neccesary (insufficient Clearwire backhaul provisioning or just better Sprint site location if they're adjacent and redundant). In those Samsung Clear markets I envision those that have the backhaul provisioning to support 2 band 41 carriers will stay for a while. 

Huawei markets are the ones where we will see a lot of work being done since Sprint was ordered by the Feds to decomission their equipment. The Huawei Clear equipment are quite inferior compared to even Samsungs dual mode equipment  as it only supports a single 20 mhz B41 carrier + a 2nd 10 mhz B41 carrier vs up to 4 20 mhz B41 carriers [split sector 2T4R] for Samsung.

In quite a few markets we have the first initial evidence of complete one for one replacements of Huawei sites with the regional vendor (Samsung in this case since they're the markets we have the largest sponsor member base in). From what we've discovered so far they're doing a 1 for 1 equipment replacement of 3 new antennas / 3 radios/ new hybrid cabling and new base stations to replace the old. 

As of right now there is no change in acquisition / deployment as Alcatel-Lucent has not been formally bought out by Nokia. They're in the process of being bought out but things could happen and deals may fall apart at the last minute. So they're continuing the original contract as is. 

If or when Nokia does they'll be the vendor for both former ALU territory and Ericsson land so they'll have about 2/3rds of Sprints current macro site numbers (about 30-35K including Clear site counts within said territories). Samsung will maybe have about 15-18K plus any future site density adds or new market expansions like Montana

See my magnificant photoshopping skills:

fzrCqbQ.jpg

-- Yep for ALU. Nokia uses a bit of eveyones. Samsung is predominately KMW but uses the others on occasion.  There's also Triband antennas in existence as well. These limit the 2.5 radios to 4T4R and half the potential capacity (3x20 vs 6x20) but are useful for more space constrained sites like flagpoles. 

Appreciate the feedback on this. Do you have any guesses on the number of Huawei sites in total that need to be swapped or which markets (including those in Samsung region) they had deployed equipment? Thanks.

Appreciate the feedback on this. Do you have any guesses on the number of Huawei sites in total that need to be swapped or which markets (including those in Samsung region) they had deployed equipment? Thanks.

Read the premier thread on the Clearwire network. I did an educated guesstimate of things there spread out over several pages a month or two ago.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• 1 month later...

Doesn't iPhone WiFi calling still rely on the macro network for sms or mms? If that's the case he might be better off with the Airave until that is fixed.

Late reply I know, but I decided to keep my airave. I get approx -100 dbm to -118 in my house from a clearwire conversion nearby but the 3G is still terrible. Either I can't pick it up or I get rssis north of -102 which won't send a text. Wifi calling is great, but I'm hoping for VoLTE and SMS over LTE soon so I don't have to rely on wifi so much. There are a few other areas that I go to a lot where there is -80 or so B41 but no CDMA singnal so I can use data but I can't place calls or text lol. Hopefully sprint will deploy IMSs soon and that problem will go away.

Late reply I know, but I decided to keep my airave. I get approx -100 dbm to -118 in my house from a clearwire conversion nearby but the 3G is still terrible. Either I can't pick it up or I get rssis north of -102 which won't send a text. Wifi calling is great, but I'm hoping for VoLTE and SMS over LTE soon so I don't have to rely on wifi so much. There are a few other areas that I go to a lot where there is -80 or so B41 but no CDMA singnal so I can use data but I can't place calls or text lol. Hopefully sprint will deploy IMSs soon and that problem will go away.

SMS already runs over LTE via IMS. Only phone calls drop back to CDMA. So you should be able to text fine on Clear B41

Sent from my Nexus 6

SMS already runs over LTE via IMS. Only phone calls drop back to CDMA. So you should be able to text fine on Clear B41

Sent from my Nexus 6

My phone doesn't connect to the SMS IMS when on LTE idk why. On wifi I can see IMS Status: Voice, but on LTE I don't.