Samsung Galaxy Note 5 User Thread

COZisBack

Yes it looks like it will be if you upgrade your device post 10/16. They didn't mention any plans exempt from this. If you are currently under contract (Easy Pay, Lease, 2 year contract) prior to 10/16, the new terms don't apply until you get a new device. How convenient when the new single line $70 plans were launched.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprint-start-throttling-unlimited-plan-customers-if-they-use-more-23-gb-dat/2015-10-16

Thanks

Would a older legacy unlimited plan apply if i lease a new device?

Don't know but from the quote I posted in my last post it seems like if you upgrade your device which to me interprets Sprint Lease, Easy Pay or 2 year upgrade.  Just because you opt to do a lease does not mean you are not upgrading your phone...you still are. The only difference between a lease and the other options is price and whether you have to return the device.  

My guess it would apply to all unlimited plans regardless if its SERO, Everything Data, My Way, All-in, Framily, Family Pack, etc but who knows.  Maybe someone that works at Sprint can chime in and confirm this.

This is a pretty specific situation.  You won't be throttled unless you are on a congested tower at peak times.  Otherwise, you'll have normal usage and speeds.  I think it's a reasonable way to approach this versus always throttling you when you hit a certain number like T-mobile does.   There's a small percentage of folks out there that really abuse the data (illegal tether) and some that are using it legitimately and use that much data.  In either case, though, I think this is a reasonable solution.

Is this per line on each account or per account? Example... My wife undated her device a few days ago. Would it effect my line thats an older device, to the 23GB cap too?

Don't know but from the quote I posted in my last post it seems like if you upgrade your device which to me interprets Sprint Lease, Easy Pay or 2 year upgrade. Just because you opt to do a lease does not mean you are not upgrading your phone...you still are. The only difference between a lease and the other options is price and whether you have to return the device.

My guess it would apply to all unlimited plans regardless if its SERO, Everything Data, My Way, All-in, Framily, Family Pack, etc but who knows. Maybe someone that works at Sprint can chime in and confirm this.

I'm guessing if you buy a device outright that would be upgrading to, or not?

Unfortunately the reason im asking is i have to depend on sprint for my home internet due to no wire line available to my house, so i do stream netflix. Between my wife and myself we have used over 23GB combined Some months. Hopefully its 23gb per line on each account. Its highly unlikely our network is congested around my house .

I'm guessing if you buy a device outright that would be upgrading to, or not?

Unfortunately the reason im asking is i have to depend on sprint for my home internet due to no wire line available to my house, so i do stream netflix. Between my wife and myself we have used over 23GB combined Some months. Hopefully its 23gb per line on each account. Its highly unlikely our network is congested around my house .

I would strongly suggest that u talk to a sprint associate at a retail store to get the full details. To me if u buy the device outright u are not signing up for a new contract.

I hate to bust ur balls but LTE should not be used as your home ISP.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I would strongly suggest that u talk to a sprint associate at a retail store to get the full details. To me if u buy the device outright u are not signing up for a new contract.

I hate to bust ur balls but LTE should not be used as your home ISP.

im planning to get some clarification from a retail store if I can find one that knows anything about it, seems when i have asked they have no clue about what im talking about. Yesterday I called 1 retailer, and stopped by another larger retailer, no clue .

I have NO other sources for home internet service! "It is want it is" sorry to be that person. Like I said in my earlier post SOME month we reach over 23GB combined.

Nope, had it before and didn't work because tree's. When I first got satellite Internet it was late fall, so trees didn't have foliage present and it worked okay and was told by the provider i wouldn't have any problems. When spring rolled around it stopped working pretty much all the time, so paid my way out of the contract.

Nope, had it before and didn't work because tree's. When I first got satellite Internet it was late fall, so trees didn't have foliage present and it worked okay and was told by the provider i wouldn't have any problems. When spring rolled around it stopped working pretty much all the time, so paid my way out of the contract.

Time to cut some trees???
  • Like 2

Time to cut some trees???

Time to move.

As Robert wisely has said, broadband Internet availability should be one of the most important factors in selecting a home.

AJ

• Like 2

I don't know if this is just me but if there is anything that needs major improvement on the Note 5 in the Marshmallow upgrade is that Samsung needs to jack up the volume of the speaker.  I swear whispers produce a louder sound than the max volume on this guy.  When I plug in my aux cable in the car to hear podcasts, not only do I have to jack up the radio volume button but also set the Note 5 system volume near the max.  

There is an audio mod on XDA forums that modifies the mixer gain xml values but that requires root which I have not done yet.  I just wish there was a way to replace the stock file with the mod without needing to root.

mixer_gains_stock.xml

mixer_gains_mod.xml

Satellite internet is shitty...use what you have to man..I'd do the same thing..

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Thanks! The thing is we aren't using large amounts of data, on average each month we use 30 GB between the both of us. We try not to use excessive amounts after learning from this site the toll "data abuse" can be on a wireless network. I really wish we had broadband access, but our land and location is more important than the aspect of moving or choosing a different area to live in because the lack of broadband. I've sent multiple letters to charter, AT&T and my county councilor for help, but the few other tracks of land with dwellings down our road isn't profitable for broadband to come to us.
  • Like 2

I don't know if this is just me but if there is anything that needs major improvement on the Note 5 in the Marshmallow upgrade is that Samsung needs to jack up the volume of the speaker.  I swear whispers produce a louder sound than the max volume on this guy.  When I plug in my aux cable in the car to hear podcasts, not only do I have to jack up the radio volume button but also set the Note 5 system volume near the max.  

There is an audio mod on XDA forums that modifies the mixer gain xml values but that requires root which I have not done yet.  I just wish there was a way to replace the stock file with the mod without needing to root.

Huh, I really don't have this issue.  Actually, the bluetooth connection to my car stereo is louder with the Note5 than my S5.  What really, really, really frustrates me is being treated like a child and having to be reminded constantly that "listening at high volumes may damage my hearing".  YOU'RE NOT MY MOM, SAMSUNG.  Seriously wish I could disable that warning. 

• Like 4

So I woke up this morning with an update from Sprint, forgot what it said but it reinstalled all of the Sprint apps. Anyone else have this happen?

Just now downloading the update. Probably the monthly security update they committed to.

I'm not sure if it was the latest update but I now hold a strong LTE signal all throughout my Home Depot and just a couple days ago, I had 3G or 1xRTT. I don't think they tweaked the towers in that time. However, I'm incredibly pleased eitherway.

Sent from my Sprint Note5

• Like 1

Is anyone having an issue with Microsoft Office keeping the phone awake? Battery is bad...

Yeah, just disable them unless you really use them

I'm not sure if it was the latest update but I now hold a strong LTE signal all throughout my Home Depot and just a couple days ago, I had 3G or 1xRTT. I don't think they tweaked the towers in that time. However, I'm incredibly pleased eitherway.

So you are saying the OJ6 update improved the LTE signal better than OI6?  Is the "battery usage optimization" feature observed in the latest update according to the patch notes?

So you are saying the OJ6 update improved the LTE signal better than OI6?  Is the "battery usage optimization" feature observed in the latest update according to the patch notes?

Not sure, but I can also say on my commute that I made it through my usual dead zone while connect to LTE.....and had a 8 down speed test, so it wasn't just a fake out signal.  OJ6 seems to be better, I hope it handles my WiFi work AP switching better than OI6 did, it seemed to have a harder time after OI6, hopefully OJ brings the needed JUICE.