Samsung Galaxy Note 5 User Thread

COZisBack

Well got myself a Note 5, really liking it. MUCH improved over the Note 4 performance wise. And dare I say that RF performance is better than my Nexus 5? :D

It is. The Nexus 6 had better performance than the already great Nexus 5 and I tested the Note 5 against the Nexus 6 and the Nexus 5, across all bands the Note 5 came out on top rarely losing LTE.
  • Like 2

It is. The Nexus 6 had better performance than the already great Nexus 5 and I tested the Note 5 against the Nexus 6 and the Nexus 5, across all bands the Note 5 came out on top rarely losing LTE.

Impressive for Samsung. [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I suggest the Choetech fast wireless charger if you want fast charging.  There are not many fast wireless chargers on the market yet.  I ordered one on Amazon and should be getting it tomorrow to test out.  I'll let you know how it works out.

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Charger-Lighting-Qi-Enabled-Included/dp/B015351VC2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1444631489&sr=8-1&keywords=choetech+fast+wireless+charger

There are also standard wireless chargers as well but there are just too many to choose from.

write up on the Choetech one here: http://www.androidcentral.com/choetechs-fast-wireless-charger-effective-and-affordable

• Like 2

I'm having some real issues with my Note5 today.  Keeps freezing.  All the cache wiping and rebooting isn't really helping.  Others noticing that the Voicemail app is causing some serious drain/wakelock the past couple days?  People are seeing it over in the S6 thread, but also noticed on my Note5 and another Note4.  What the heck? 

I use Google Voice for voicemail/sms/calling so I'm guessing I don't see it since the voicemail app is never used for me. Have you tried disabling the app?

I used to use Google Voice for voicemail and never set it back up. *28 wasn't working from my phone so I had to call customer care to get it working again, which it now is.

But, I was equally concerned as others now... the Voicemail app is using just as much battery as the screen and probably explains the larger drain as of yet.

But, on the Note 5, I can't disable the app, only force stop it and when I notice it is running again stop it again. Is anyone else having luck disabling it?

Just noticed the quick battery drain from the voicemail app. No freezing though.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I am getting this too, it seems to be a pretty common issue.

2r56yz6.png

It's a pretty big hit, I disabled it with Package Disabler pro for the time being. Hoping it will be fixed soon.

Samsung Pay + Sprint have a $50 bill credit offer for new purchases 10/15 to 11/5

https://samsungpromotions.com/samsungpaysprint/

This works out better than the free wireless charger! I'm upgrading on 11/1 :D

Damn...why couldnt this offer occur 2 weeks ago when I upgraded to the Note 5 in concurrence with the Samsung Pay wireless charger promo.  Well I think overall I am still happy with the timing of my purchase since I did get in on the free wireless charger (priced at $50 retail) but more importantly lock in for 2 years uncapped unlimited data which is pretty important to lock in before 10/16 when the new 23 GB data cap kicks in.

• Like 1

Damn...why couldnt this offer occur 2 weeks ago when I upgraded to the Note 5 in concurrence with the Samsung Pay wireless charger promo.  Well I think overall I am still happy with the timing of my purchase since I did get in on the free wireless charger (priced at $50 retail) but more importantly lock in for 2 years uncapped unlimited data which is pretty important to lock in before 10/16 when the new 23 GB data cap kicks in.

23 GB cap? Is this on all plans?

Yes it looks like it will be if you upgrade your device post 10/16.  They didn't mention any plans exempt from this.  If you are currently under contract (Easy Pay, Lease, 2 year contract) prior to 10/16, the new terms don't apply until you get a new device.  How convenient when the new single line $70 plans were launched.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprint-start-throttling-unlimited-plan-customers-if-they-use-more-23-gb-dat/2015-10-16

Sprint CTO John Saw said in a company blog post that "one way we aim to make the customer experience better is to protect against the possibility that a small minority of customers might occupy an unreasonable share of network resources."

"With that in mind, we are introducing a new Quality of Service (QoS) practice that applies to customers who choose an unlimited data handset plan launched Oct. 16, 2015, or after, or customers who choose to upgrade their handset on or after Oct. 16 and remain on an existing unlimited data plan", he said. "For these customers, if they use more than 23 GB of data during a billing cycle, they will be prioritized on the network below other customers for the remainder of their billing cycle, only in times and locations where the network is constrained. (These customers will still be able to use unlimited amounts of data without the worry of overage charges.)"

Yes it looks like it will be if you upgrade your device post 10/16.  They didn't mention any plans exempt from this.  If you are currently under contract (Easy Pay, Lease, 2 year contract) prior to 10/16, the new terms don't apply until you get a new device.  How convenient when the new single line $70 plans were launched.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprint-start-throttling-unlimited-plan-customers-if-they-use-more-23-gb-dat/2015-10-16

This is a pretty specific situation.  You won't be throttled unless you are on a congested tower at peak times.  Otherwise, you'll have normal usage and speeds.  I think it's a reasonable way to approach this versus always throttling you when you hit a certain number like T-mobile does.   There's a small percentage of folks out there that really abuse the data (illegal tether) and some that are using it legitimately and use that much data.  In either case, though, I think this is a reasonable solution. 

Anyone else encrypt their device?  I was just curious about the performance hit, so I did mine today.  I figured if it was bad, I'd just factory wipe and start fresh.  Encrypting warns that it will take more than an hour to do, but mine was done in about 10 - 15 minutes.  I see no ill effects from encrypting my device.  Still peppy all around.  Camera launches fine, apps open quickly, multitasking happens just as rapidly.  The main difference being that reboots take longer and you have to enter a password or passcode (whatever you set as your backup to your fingerprint). 

I had tried this on my S5 and it was a disastrous mess, glad to see the processor able to handle it in the Note5. 

Anyone else encrypt their device? I was just curious about the performance hit, so I did mine today. I figured if it was bad, I'd just factory wipe and start fresh. Encrypting warns that it will take more than an hour to do, but mine was done in about 10 - 15 minutes. I see no ill effects from encrypting my device. Still peppy all around. Camera launches fine, apps open quickly, multitasking happens just as rapidly. The main difference being that reboots take longer and you have to enter a password or passcode (whatever you set as your backup to your fingerprint).

I had tried this on my S5 and it was a disastrous mess, glad to see the processor able to handle it in the Note5.

I was curious about encrypting. Thanks for the update! This phone is a beast. The only thing was on two different occasions both while charging my phone in the car using quick charge 2.0 it froze the phone and on another occasion it froze while it wasn't charging. It happened once on my nexus 6 too so it may be the charger but it is a offical aukey charger so idk. Hopefully a fix is on the way.
  • Like 1