Samsung Galaxy Note 5 User Thread

COZisBack

I wouldn't spend your money on the standard pad from Samsung....now that fast one, maybe, but I'm not shelling out $70, when I can get regular speeds for $12.  If I need a fast charge, I use the wired fast charger, but that's rare. 

The one I am trying out from Choetech from Amazon is only $35 for fast charging.  I would not pay ransom prices of $70 to samsung for their fast charging wireless charging brick.  I guess I am just debating if paying a little more for the fast charging wireless charger would be better in the long run.  I figured if I get the free Samsung standard wireless charger (Samsung Pay promo, you can get another one if you haven't done so yet) in addition to this Choetech one for fast wireless charging, I will be set.

• Like 2

The one I am trying out from Choetech from Amazon is only $35 for fast charging. I would not pay ransom prices of $70 to samsung for their fast charging wireless charging brick. I guess I am just debating if paying a little more for the fast charging wireless charger would be better in the long run. I figured if I get the free Samsung standard wireless charger in addition to this Choetech one for fast wireless charging, I will be set.

Let me know how it goes with the 35 dollar one

Sent from my Sprint Note5

• Like 1

Wireless charging, like all standards, is only going to get more efficient over time. I would hate for one state to throw the baby out with the bathwater and force changes on the rest of us, even if that state is admittedly having to conserve more than others because of their own lack of resources.

• Like 1

Wireless charging, like all standards, is only going to get more efficient over time. I would hate for one state to throw the baby out with the bathwater and force changes on the rest of us, even if that state is admittedly having to conserve more than others because of their own lack of resources.

Exactly I am confident that wireless charging will become more efficient over time.  If we as a society gave up on every single type of upcoming technology when presented challenges nothing would come to fruition. Instead of giving up on what looks to me as promising technology we just need to give the engineers time to resolve these challenges so that we can all enjoy it.

It just reminds me when there was all that chatter here on S4GRU when LTE came out in 2012 on Sprint about how there is no way due to phone real estate that we can add so many antennas to support all the different carrier LTE bands in a single device because of the need for preamps and antennas and blah blah blah.  Well fast forward 3 years later and now smartphones can support 10+ LTE bands and growing.  Its just silly to think that these challenges that we know are bound to occur wouldn't have been resolved by the time we need it.

Does anyone use the Spigen Neo Hybrid Carbon case and use wireless charging here? I want to know how well the Note 5 works when placed in a case and whether it has enough contact to still be able to connect to wireless charging. There has to be cases out there for the Note 5 that work just fine with wireless charging.

Otterbox works with wirless charging. My note 5 has a ottorbox and I have a samsung fast wireless charger and it works no problem.

Exactly I am confident that wireless charging will become more efficient over time. If we as a society gave up on every single type of upcoming technology when presented challenges nothing would come to fruition. Instead of giving up on what looks to me as promising technology we just need to give the engineers time to resolve these challenges so that we can all enjoy it.

It just reminds me when there was all that chatter here on S4GRU when LTE came out in 2012 on Sprint about how there is no way due to phone real estate that we can add so many antennas to support all the different carrier LTE bands in a single device because of the need for preamps and antennas and blah blah blah. Well fast forward 3 years later and now smartphones can support 10+ LTE bands and growing. Its just silly to think that these challenges that we know are bound to occur wouldn't have been resolved by the time we need it.

I don't think anyone has said that it will not improve over time. However, AJ has said if it continues in its current state, a progressive state like California may take action against it.

Using Tapatalk on BlackBerry Z30

My point is that its not central to his question and was unneeded. I know plenty about power, distribution and heat. We can all imagine what happens when you push electricity into space, it's not as efficient. Seems like a real no brainer. Wireless charging is convenient, not efficient and fits someone's needs if they so desire.

Imagine if you're sitting there with your Amazon open, you've found a good deal on case, but you want to know if it will mess with NFC and wireless charging. You hope for a quick reply. Then what you get is some comment about how it's not efficient and it's a waste of energy. Then many replies to that same effect and then no one answers your question. Is that helpful? I'm not being a dick, but people always chirp about off topic replies and your reply was not constructive to his question. Just sayin'. I've been in this same boat and it's not nice to have your question buried by some tangent.

Mods can jump all over me for having an attitude, that's fine.

Also, the energy wasted is incredibly small with the cost wasted even smaller. I bet that your DVD player (or 2 dozen other items) plugged in at home is pulling more vampire energy than wireless chargers waste.

His response is not off topic. There was a discussion about wireless charging. He responded with some points about wireless charging that many people are not aware of.

Why is pointing out a big issue for wireless charging so offensive? Have we become as a society where we are so polarized that we only want supporting information to our beliefs and ideas?

Maybe someone who cares about power efficiency will appreciate that viewpoint? Maybe someone who thinks that people who care about power efficiency are a bunch of tree hugging pansies and no will go and buy 100 wireless charging devices and plug them all in at once? That's their choice. Everyone can do what they want after the discussion.

We are not a perfectly run site. But we try to keep conversations open and allow all kinds of different viewpoints that further the discussion and knowledge base here. I don't have a problem with AJ espousing his view on wireless charging when it came up in this thread. It's useful information. And I don't have a problem with the others defending that the loss in power efficiency does not outweigh the convenience benefits.

But there is nothing to get riled up about here. The OP can re-ask his question if he doesn't feel like his question has been answered or understood.

Most often when this occurs it is because no one has the answer. And we can always spin off the wireless charging efficiency into its own thread as it becomes its own topic.

Using Tapatalk on BlackBerry Z30

• Like 1

Something major just happened! I just got samsung pay to work at sonic and a gas pump! They said it wouldnt work but I got it to work. You just have to really hold it next to it and move the phone all around for that one sweet spot. My wallet is about to go in the trash.

• Like 5

Something major just happened! I just got samsung pay to work at sonic and a gas pump! They said it wouldnt work but I got it to work. You just have to really hold it next to it and move the phone all around for that one sweet spot. My wallet is about to go in the trash.

In your experience, where's the sweet spot?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Try the sides of the car reader. Take it nice and slow and tell her what she wants to hear. The quickly move to the slit in the reader push firmly while still moving in a circular motion until it finishes. Then stand in amazement about how satisfying it was.

• Like 1

Try the sides of the car reader. Take it nice and slow and tell her what she wants to hear. The quickly move to the slit in the reader push firmly while still moving in a circular motion until it finishes. Then stand in amazement about how satisfying it was.

Um, censored? Sounds reeeeal dirty.

Um, censored? Sounds reeeeal dirty.

It works better at some gas stations than others though. There was a few times i just couldn't find that sweet spot. [emoji6]

• Like 1

Not at Sonic, that is for sure.  About every third or fourth credit card reader is broken.  And Murphy's Law ensures that you will choose a parking stall with one of those broken readers.  Happens almost every time.

AJ

• Like 1

Nice technology.... Reminds me of having to blow on a Nintendo cartridge to get it to work.

Now, you blow on the Nintendo Wii U gamepad microphone.  On some games.  No, I am not kidding.

BLOW!

AJ

• Like 1

Not at Sonic, that is for sure. About every third or fourth credit card reader is broken. And Murphy's Law ensures that you will choose a parking stall with one of those broken readers. Happens almost every time.

AJ

That law was broken on this day then hehehe.
  • Like 1

I upgraded from the S5 2 days ago. I'm very impressed overall! Especially having better signals where my S5 was somewhat struggling with in certain locations with data. I was also amazed how much longer the Note 5 can hold onto B41 distance wise compared to the S5.

I was really impressed that you got it to work so I decided to try again after a few earlier failures. No joy. I couldn't get it to work at a 76 station no matter what angle I tried.  

It is fun to watch people's faces when it works great on some old timey terminal in a tiny store.  Sort of a blank stare.

That law was broken on this day then hehehe.

I was really impressed that you got it to work so I decided to try again after a few earlier failures. No joy. I couldn't get it to work at a 76 station no matter what angle I tried.

It is fun to watch people's faces when it works great on some old timey terminal in a tiny store. Sort of a blank stare.

Like I said try it at other stations sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. So far of 4 gas stations I have gotten it to work twice. Racetrac and Cheveron.

My thoughts on the Note 5 so far from 3 days of using compared to the LG G2 is that signal level has improved between the 2 devices.  At work, I have a pretty weak 3G/LTE signal where my offices and with the G2, more often than not, I am usually on 3G.  With the Note 5, I am able to get LTE...even though its pretty weak but still useable.  Also in general places where I normally only get 3G, I have been able to get LTE.

Also battery life on the Note 5 has been better than I expected considering the G2 and Note 5 have the same battery capacity of 3000 maH but the Note 5 is 0.5 inch larger display.  I wonder if that is a combination of the 14 nm Exynos chip and the software features such as Power Saving mode.

Sprint upgrading to note 5 ,note 4 broken software again . What wireless charger too get.

I suggest the Choetech fast wireless charger if you want fast charging.  There are not many fast wireless chargers on the market yet.  I ordered one on Amazon and should be getting it tomorrow to test out.  I'll let you know how it works out.

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Charger-Lighting-Qi-Enabled-Included/dp/B015351VC2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1444631489&sr=8-1&keywords=choetech+fast+wireless+charger

There are also standard wireless chargers as well but there are just too many to choose from.

• Like 1

So I am considering getting this on Wednesday any suggestions? :P

Go to your local Best Buy. They have gift card offers.

• Like 1

So I am considering getting this on Wednesday any suggestions? :P

Go to your local Best Buy. They have gift card offers.

+1...yes if you have a qualifying Sprint plan that can be upgraded at BB, I would highly suggest taking advantage of that promo with the $100 BB GC while you still can.