Samsung Galaxy Note 5 User Thread

COZisBack

What? You mean T4GRU staff is not writing FCC OET RF analysis articles? Is any actual work getting done over there?

;)

AJ

Sadly, no one has stepped up with interest of writing Tmo FCC OET articles yet. That would be a nice addition.

Using Tapatalk on BlackBerry Z30

AJ - what are your thoughts on the lackluster RF ratings and what seems like good performance reported by users here in real life?

This is all conjecture.  But maybe downlink reception is very good.  And if people are judging RF performance by signal strength, that is purely downlink, which is not included in any FCC OET test reports.

However, as a fact, uplink transmission will fail in more places on some bands on recent Samsung handsets than it will on other handsets.  The ERP/EIRP simply is below average on some bands.  As one example on band 41, the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 is about 13 dB less powerful than the iPhone 6S.  That means it is about 20 times less powerful -- an absolutely huge difference.

AJ

• Like 1

How do you find the RDF page for the Galaxy Note 5 on the Sprint website?

I know for the LG G2 it was this but how do I modify the URL for the Note 5. All I know is that the model number is the SM-N920P.

http://device.sprintpcs.com/LG/LS980-SPRINT/latest

They don't do those for the Notes. They stopped with the Note 4 unfortunately. So I've heard.

Sent from my Sprint Note5

They don't do those for the Notes. They stopped with the Note 4 unfortunately. So I've heard.

BOOOO that sucks.. I assume the GS line doesn't do it either?

This is all conjecture.  But maybe downlink reception is very good.  And if people are judging RF performance by signal strength, that is purely downlink, which is not included in any FCC OET test reports.

However, as a fact, uplink transmission will fail in more places on some bands on recent Samsung handsets than it will on other handsets.  The ERP/EIRP simply is below average on some bands.  As one example on band 41, the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 is about 13 dB less powerful than the iPhone 6S.  That means it is about 20 times less powerful -- an absolutely huge difference.

AJ

I'm guessing this is why sometimes a weak connection won't work (when it used to on my Note 3) simply because the data request transmission isn't making it back to the network?

Also, has anyone noticed problems with MMS messages since the latest system update?  I have to update my profile each time a MMS message won't download or send, and after the profile update it does.  I have to do this repeatedly.  After major upgrades I usually do a factory reset, but haven't done it yet at this point.  The phone also gets really warm now while wirelessly charging, and part of the update said it worked on improving wireless charging experience.  Anyone else experiencing this?

Also, has anyone noticed problems with MMS messages since the latest system update? I have to update my profile each time a MMS message won't download or send, and after the profile update it does. I have to do this repeatedly. After major upgrades I usually do a factory reset, but haven't done it yet at this point. The phone also gets really warm now while wirelessly charging, and part of the update said it worked on improving wireless charging experience. Anyone else experiencing this?

I'm not seeing those issues. I think I'm not hanging on to LTE as well after last update, but maybe it's just more accurate? Still good though.

You should clear cache through recovery and also wipe app cache in storage. Start with that before factory wipe. Usually clears out odd stuff.

Does anyone use the Spigen Neo Hybrid Carbon case and use wireless charging here?  I want to know how well the Note 5 works when placed in a case and whether it has enough contact to still be able to connect to wireless charging. There has to be cases out there for the Note 5 that work just fine with wireless charging.

Does anyone use the Spigen Neo Hybrid Carbon case and use wireless charging here?  I want to know how well the Note 5 works when placed in a case and whether it has enough contact to still be able to connect to wireless charging. There has to be cases out there for the Note 5 that work just fine with wireless charging.

Count your days.  I am awaiting California banning wireless charging for its heat generation inefficiency.  That would kill the entire wireless charging accessory industry in the US.

AJ

Count your days.  I am awaiting California banning wireless charging for its heat generation inefficiency.  That would kill the entire wireless charging accessory industry in the US.

AJ

Why CA only? Yeah I don't see that happening.  But hopefully someone can answer my question.

Why CA only? Yeah I don't see that happening.  But hopefully someone can answer my question.

Your state is in dire straits.  It is facing both energy and water crises.  It has some of the strongest energy efficiency provisions in the US.

Personally, I hope that wireless charging dies a hot death.  I know that many of you love its "convenience."  But it is inefficient and lazy.

Plug it in, plug it in.

AJ

Your state is in dire straits.  It is facing both energy and water crises.  It has some of the strongest energy efficiency provisions in the US.

Personally, I hope that wireless charging dies a hot death.  I know that many of you love its "convenience."  But it is inefficient and lazy.

Plug it in, plug it in.

AJ

Actually I haven't experienced the "convenience" factor of wireless charging yet since this would be my first phone that supports it.  Personally I do prefer to plug it in for charging because it charges faster but since Samsung is having a promo for a free wireless charger for sign up of Samsung Pay I wanted to give wireless charging a shot.  

But wireless charging still has improvements since it is fairly new within the last few years and so while it is inefficient currently I am confident it will be improved to be more efficient as time goes on.

Unless something has changed with how Spigen makes their cases, the neo hybrid should do wireless charging just fine as it worked out well on my Nexus 5 before the qi charging broke on the phone. 

• Like 1

Unless something has changed with how Spigen makes their cases, the neo hybrid should do wireless charging just fine as it worked out well on my Nexus 5 before the qi charging broke on the phone. 

How did the Qi charging break on the phone?  That is not a good sign.

How did the Qi charging break on the phone?  That is not a good sign.

One day it just stopped working. Charged for 20 seconds and stopped. Repeat every day until it didnt work anymore. Common defect apparently. 

Really tired of this inefficiency "joke". Wireless charging is extremely convenient. And guess what? Options are nice and it's up to them. So if you can't answer the question, don't respond.

• Like 2

What's with the attitude? It is a forum with wide range of comments from personal opinions to jokes and facts, etc. Relax.

Sent from my SM-N915P using Tapatalk

Agreed relax all here for fun.

Rickie

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

What's with the attitude? It is a forum with wide range of comments from personal opinions to jokes and facts, etc. Relax.

Sent from my SM-N915P using Tapatalk

My apologies for the reaction.  

My wife has the S6 and we ordered two cases in which the NFC and wireless charging did NOT work.  She now has a Spigen case and it does work, so I believe that any spigen case should probably work. 

• Like 1

My apologies for the reaction.  

My wife has the S6 and we ordered two cases in which the NFC and wireless charging did NOT work.  She now has a Spigen case and it does work, so I believe that any spigen case should probably work. 

Cool.  This is exactly what I was looking for.  I ordered the Spigen Neo Hybrid Carbon case.

• Like 1

I was reading and watching youtube videos of the Note 5 and some people were having wireless charging issues where it would either not charge (charge for like a few mins than fail) or it charges really slow (this is with the standard Samsung wireless charger).

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Wireless-Charging-Wall-Charger/dp/B00UCZGS6S/ref=sr_1_4?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1444146438&sr=1-4&keywords=samsung+wireless+charger

I wonder if the latest system update (9/26) is to help correct the really slow wireless charging since there a lot of the Note 5's out there are reporting having faulty induction coils in the device.  Anyone notice this issue on their Note 5's and whether the latest system update improved on the this issue since the release notes state "Wireless charging improvements?  

Either way I am ordering a couple of wireless chargers (samsung standard one above and another one that supports fast charging below) on Amazon to test this feature out within the 14 day window to ensure this feature work.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015351VC2?keywords=fast%20charge%20wireless%20charging%20pad&qid=1444146853&ref_=sr_1_7&sr=8-7

I was reading and watching youtube videos of the Note 5 and some people were having wireless charging issues where it would either not charge (charge for like a few mins than fail) or it charges really slow (this is with the standard Samsung wireless charger).

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Wireless-Charging-Wall-Charger/dp/B00UCZGS6S/ref=sr_1_4?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1444146438&sr=1-4&keywords=samsung+wireless+charger

I wonder if the latest system update (9/26) is to help correct the really slow wireless charging since there a lot of the Note 5's out there are reporting having faulty induction coils in the device.  Anyone notice this issue on their Note 5's and whether the latest system update improved on the this issue?  Either way I am ordering a couple of wireless chargers (samsung standard one and another one that supports fast charging) on Amazon to test this feature out within the 14 day window to ensure this feature work.

I own one Samsung Standard Wireless charger that I got for free when I got my Note5 from Best Buy, however my wife uses it with her S6.  She has funky things happening with it during the night once it hits near full charge.  It'll start blinking, indicating an issue, then a few minutes later its fine?  

I have 3 Choetech Stadium Qi chargers (Amazon) that I got on a SlickDeal and they work really great with the Note5 and I've not had any problems.  Another good charging pad is the Anker one for $12 (Amazon), they are very small, so you have to get the coils lined up, but they do a good job too.  I like the Anker ones because they are small and unobtrusive.  With the symbol on the top people are less inclined to use them as coasters on my end tables too!

I wouldn't spend your money on the standard pad from Samsung....now that fast one, maybe, but I'm not shelling out $70, when I can get regular speeds for $12.  If I need a fast charge, I use the wired fast charger, but that's rare. 

Really tired of this inefficiency "joke". Wireless charging is extremely convenient. And guess what? Options are nice and it's up to them. So if you can't answer the question, don't respond.

Huh?  It is not a "joke."  Do you even know what you are talking about?  Wireless charging is inefficient -- that is why it is slow and generates much heat.

And I am not kidding about California.  The California Energy Commission continues to get serious about prohibiting sale of inefficient appliances and electronics in the state.  Power adaptors have already been addressed.  Wireless chargers may be a future item on the list.  If wireless chargers cannot be made to meet the set efficiency standards, then they will not be sold in California.

http://switchboard.nrdc.org/blogs/pdelforge/california_moving_forward_on_1.html

AJ

• Like 1

Huh?  It is not a "joke."  Do you even know what you are talking about?  Wireless charging is inefficient -- that is why it is slow and generates much heat.

And I am not kidding about California.  The California Energy Commission continues to get serious about prohibiting sale of inefficient appliances and electronics in the state.  Power adaptors have already been addressed.  Wireless chargers may be a future item on the list.  If wireless chargers cannot be made to meet the set efficiency standards, then they will not be sold in California.

http://switchboard.nrdc.org/blogs/pdelforge/california_moving_forward_on_1.html

AJ

My point is that its not central to his question and was unneeded.  I know plenty about power, distribution and heat. We can all imagine what happens when you push electricity into space, it's not as efficient.  Seems like a real no brainer.   Wireless charging is convenient, not efficient and fits someone's needs if they so desire.  

Imagine if you're sitting there with your Amazon open, you've found a good deal on case, but you want to know if it will mess with NFC and wireless charging.  You hope for a quick reply.  Then what you get is some comment about how it's not efficient and it's a waste of energy.  Then many replies to that same effect and then no one answers your question.  Is that helpful?  I'm not being a dick, but people always chirp about off topic replies and your reply was not constructive to his question.  Just sayin'.  I've been in this same boat and it's not nice to have your question buried by some tangent.  

Mods can jump all over me for having an attitude, that's fine. 

Also, the energy wasted is incredibly small with the cost wasted even smaller.  I bet that your DVD player (or 2 dozen other items) plugged in at home is pulling more vampire energy than wireless chargers waste. 

• Like 5