Google Nexus 6P by Huawei (was [Rumor] Huawei Nexus phone?)

jefbal99

Is it still worth it to purchase a Nexus 6p? Also I'm coming from the Moto Nexus 6.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I think so, I still REALLY am enjoying everything about mine and nothing out there NOR on the horizon really intrigues me or can do anything the 6P is doing, better.   Spigen Tough Armor + Intelliglass screen pro

• Like 1

Is it still worth it to purchase a Nexus 6p? Also I'm coming from the Moto Nexus 6.

Yes! It's fast fluid has good radio reception over LTE! Will get latest updates if that is important to you coming from the Nexus 6 I'm assuming, it is highly moddable if that's something that also you partake in. Build quality is solid , and front facing speakers are awesome! Lot more manageable I'm sure then the Nexus 6 as well without really losing the immersive experience.

And Wi-Fi Calling. And LTE roaming.

Wi-Fi calling = Gvoice and roaming, whats that?  :lol:

(*and before ANYONE goes on a tirade about how it's not the same, YES, I KNOW it's not the same as Sprint  wi-fi calling but it is a solution that works quite well, if not better IMHO.  Sprint's wi-fi calling implementation is a HUGE battery hog for some strange reason even when not in use.  I don't miss it one bit.)

• Like 1

Wi-Fi calling = Gvoice and roaming, whats that? :lol:

Eh, Hangouts/Gvoice really struggles on B26 (and in SF Sprint seems to prioritize B26 over B25 for some reason...). Last night for example I had a good signal, but on overloaded B26, which is the norm. The call was garbage, all broken up. I couldn't understand a thing. If it had been a regular call over 1x it would have been fine.

Basically, I don't trust Hangouts/Gvoice to work reliably on LTE unless you're on B41.

It also makes me wonder how well VoLTE will work whenever it's rolled out... I guess they would do some sort of QoS to try to prevent that from happening on overloaded sectors. But still...

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Eh, Hangouts/Gvoice really struggles on B26 (and in SF Sprint seems to prioritize B26 over B25 for some reason...). Last night for example I had a good signal, but on overloaded B26, which is the norm. The call was garbage, all broken up. I couldn't understand a thing. If it had been a regular call over 1x it would have been fine.

Basically, I don't trust Hangouts/Gvoice to work reliably on LTE unless you're on B41.

It also makes me wonder how well VoLTE will work whenever it's rolled out... I guess they would do some sort of QoS to try to prevent that from happening on overloaded sectors. But still...

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Hangouts video call OR are you talking voice call via Google voice? Reason I ask is "wi-fi calling" was in question, so we were talking about a solution to "wi-fi calling" which only happens on wifi.  If you have LTE, wouldn't you just use your phone to make the call? 

To add, while I can carry on video with voice over all LTE bands here, without issue, as always, our experiences are subject to our local. 

Hangouts video call OR are you talking voice call via Google voice? Reason I ask is "wi-fi calling" was in question, so we were talking about a solution to "wi-fi calling" which only happens on wifi. If you have LTE, wouldn't you just use your phone to make the call?

To add, while I can carry on video with voice over all LTE bands here, without issue, as always, our experiences are subject to our local.

Just voice, no video. It was someone who called me on my Google voice number.

If you just want Hangouts over wifi but not LTE, you need to use two separate numbers, correct?

And yeah, the network may be better where you are. In San Francisco and Oakland if you're not on B41, you're looking at speeds of around 0.2 mbps.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Don't really need wifi calling or LTE roaming. Shoot my voice roaming on Verizon doesn't work anymore for some reason on my Nexus 6

Really? Try a profile update and PRL update. Does it just not connect? Or does it connect but calls don't work?

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Really? Try a profile update and PRL update. Does it just not connect? Or does it connect but calls don't work?

Sent from my Nexus 6P

It connects then says it wasn't able to authenticate with the network or something along those lines.

Just voice, no video. It was someone who called me on my Google voice number.

If you just want Hangouts over wifi but not LTE, you need to use two separate numbers, correct?

And yeah, the network may be better where you are. In San Francisco and Oakland if you're not on B41, you're looking at speeds of around 0.2 mbps.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

I'm not following on the someone calling your Gvoice number as it should ring your phone, not the Hangouts app. That sucks to hear about San Fran/Oakland, I can't imagine. 

• 2 weeks later...

So if anyone is looking to be adventurous with their Nexus 6p there is the new Android N preview beta out with OTA updates direct

Edit to add link

http://www.google.com/android/beta

So if anyone is looking to be adventurous with their Nexus 6p there is the new Android N preview beta out with OTA updates direct

Edit to add link

http://www.google.com/android/beta

I have been running it on my Nexus 5x for several hours. So far, so good.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I have been running it on my Nexus 5x for several hours. So far, so good.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Had it running on my 6p for an hour seems to fix Signal check issues that appeared after lollipop. Play store is really slow to update apps and stuttering in general compared to other Google apps. Video youtube app specially, doesn't display properly in spltscreen mode is what I've noticed. But other than that, i think i can get by with it. Real test is a full work day tomorrow.

Edit: quick work around is using chrome to open YouTube there!

• Like 1

e278f27d39aa608e618bd80cc2a494a0.jpgscp and chrome work with split screen.....

I agree with the play store running slow..... Liking the changes so far with my N beta OTA.

(1 of my 3 local 3g GMOs) [emoji57] [emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji35]

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

For anybody interested, just installed Android N beta. It is running quite smoothly. Battery life has improved as well. So far seeing a bit over 4 hours screen on time with heavy use. 

I've fallen in love with my N6P once again, Android N is a sweet upgrade!

Also seems that the baseband is updated as well. I have not gone out to test the radio performance, but so far its good. 

FYI: From my findings radio 2.15 has been the best at holding B41. 

• Like 2

For anybody interested, just installed Android N beta. It is running quite smoothly. Battery life has improved as well. So far seeing a bit over 4 hours screen on time with heavy use.

I've fallen in love with my N6P once again, Android N is a sweet upgrade!

Also seems that the baseband is updated as well. I have not gone out to test the radio performance, but so far its good.

FYI: From my findings radio 2.15 has been the best at holding B41.

Thanks for sharing, and thanks to everyone else above that did so as well.

Si ce you mentioned you think the 2.15 radio is best for B41, can you post what radio is packaged with the N beta?

Thanks for sharing, and thanks to everyone else above that did so as well.

Si ce you mentioned you think the 2.15 radio is best for B41, can you post what radio is packaged with the N beta?

Latest on N is 3.64
  • Like 1

Latest on N is 3.64

Thanks! I'm on beta now and aside from needing to clear data for Hangouts, it's be problem free so far and Hangouts is MUCH better after clearing the old cached data out. I cleared my GSam Battery stat data so I can see how the battery is really holding up and today we'll see how the phone holds up on a "normal" work day.  So far, so good on all things but I'll try to report back in a few days so if anyone is still on the fence, they can take the plunge.  :)

• Like 1

Good afternoon all,

The better half and I are travelling in Europe later this year.

I have a Google Fi SIM card, which I'll activate when we get to NYC for our flight to Milan.

I plan on using the unlimited 3G roaming of Google Fi when in Greece, Spain, France, & Croatia.  However, much of the trip will be in Italy.

Does anyone know if any of the bands our Nexus 6P supports statewide, are supported in Italy?  Basically, can I get any LTE in Italy with my Nexus 6P.  Ideally, I'd like to buy an LTE SIM for Italy for faster pic uploads, etc.

I'm not even sure where to find this info,

Appreciate the help

Skid 

Good afternoon all,

The better half and I are travelling in Europe later this year.

I have a Google Fi SIM card, which I'll activate when we get to NYC for our flight to Milan.

I plan on using the unlimited 3G roaming of Google Fi when in Greece, Spain, France, & Croatia.  However, much of the trip will be in Italy.

Does anyone know if any of the bands our Nexus 6P supports statewide, are supported in Italy?  Basically, can I get any LTE in Italy with my Nexus 6P.  Ideally, I'd like to buy an LTE SIM for Italy for faster pic uploads, etc.

I'm not even sure where to find this info,

Appreciate the help

Skid 

Fi roaming is capped at 256Kbit, so you won't be pushing LTE much.  In fact, might be better to force 3G to reduce battery drain further.

• Like 1

Fi roaming is capped at 256Kbit, so you won't be pushing LTE much. In fact, might be better to force 3G to reduce battery drain further.

True, it will be good enough to continuously upload pics to Google Photos. I'm hoping that our 6P shares some Italian carriers LTE bands so I can swap out the Fi SIM for the Italian carriers SIM for some LTE help with those pics.