Google Nexus 6P by Huawei (was [Rumor] Huawei Nexus phone?)

jefbal99

I wanted to know has anyone noticed when coming off a phone call for those who still use the phone to make calls! The phone takes a while to reconnect to LTE and will park on EVDO 3G for little bit before it does connect. Figuring that it's a scan time issue as it only happens intermittently! But something I'm not used to coming from other single radio devices usually it connects to band 2,6 25, if Band 41 is available then Band 41 soon afterwards.

I find the opposite to be true, but that's coming from an HTC M8, I find that that phone is parked on LTE longer and switches from 3G to LTE faster.   LTE scan times are certainly more aggressive than my last phone.

I wanted to know has anyone noticed when coming off a phone call for those who still use the phone to make calls! The phone takes a while to reconnect to LTE and will park on EVDO 3G for little bit before it does connect. Figuring that it's a scan time issue as it only happens intermittently! But something I'm not used to coming from other single radio devices usually it connects to band 2,6 25, if Band 41 is available then Band 41 soon afterwards.

the 6P definitely latches on to LTE better than the N6 and N5...

Some wrong number called me yesterday.  On the Nexus 5X, e/CSFB worked perfectly -- even though it was on band 41 for e/CSFB and Wi-Fi for data.  And after the wrong number caller hung up, the Nexus 5X was back on LTE within two seconds.

AJ

• Like 2

Some wrong number called me yesterday.  On the Nexus 5X, e/CSFB worked perfectly -- even though it was on band 41 for e/CSFB and Wi-Fi for data.  And after the wrong number caller hung up, the Nexus 5X was back on LTE within two seconds.

AJ

Thanks for that update!  Now my issue is down to lack of WiFi calling, which isn't an easy fix, unfortunately. (well, as far as we know, maybe Sprint's working on it?)

To echo others: The LTE scan times on the 6P are FAR superior to my Nexus 5. Ive only seen 3g once and it went back to LTE in under a minute. No airplane mode toggle needed for me anymore! I also always go LTE->Call->LTE instantly

• Like 2

Thanks for that update!  Now my issue is down to lack of WiFi calling, which isn't an easy fix, unfortunately. (well, as far as we know, maybe Sprint's working on it?)

Use Hangouts Dialer + Google Voice, it's everyone's WiFi calling solution.  I highly doubt Sprint is working on integration of our "Sprint" wifi calling solution (which from what I understand is a non-standard implementation) on this "Google" device.  It's not a "Sprint" phone, it just happens to work quite well on the network.  I don't think we'll ever see Sprint Zone app either... it's actually a useful tool now but we'll survive without it. 

• Like 1

Use Hangouts Dialer + Google Voice, it's everyone's WiFi calling solution.  I highly doubt Sprint is working on integration of our "Sprint" wifi calling solution (which from what I understand is a non-standard implementation) on this "Google" device.  It's not a "Sprint" phone, it just happens to work quite well on the network.  I don't think we'll ever see Sprint Zone app either... it's actually a useful tool now but we'll survive without it. 

FYI, you could sideload it on the N6.  I wouldn't see why you couldn't do it on the 6P as well.

• Like 1

Not going to belabor this in this thread, but 1) if Sprint and Apple have it working on the iphone, then there is no reason that they can't figure this out for BYOD like Nexus phones and 2) the GV integration is sloppy even when you've made your Sprint number your GV number, between the dialer and the handling of text MMS and group messages (though this is getting better), having just a toggle to turn it on for your native number is much easier on all end users.  (but I get it, it's a Nexus, so one should be Savvy enough to overcome this)

Not going to belabor this in this thread, but 1) if Sprint and Apple have it working on the iphone, then there is no reason that they can't figure this out for BYOD like Nexus phones and 2) the GV integration is sloppy even when you've made your Sprint number your GV number, between the dialer and the handling of text MMS and group messages (though this is getting better), having just a toggle to turn it on for your native number is much easier on all end users.  (but I get it, it's a Nexus, so one should be Savvy enough to overcome this)

I use it and don't integrate, you don't have to do that just to use it.  What I have is a GV number and when I want to use Hangouts to make calls, it just comes from my GV number instead of my "real" Sprint number.  Granted, you'll have to integrate if you want 1 number as both GV and Sprint but it's not a requirement to make this work.  

Admittedly, I usually only use wifi calling or Hangouts for outgoing calls so your use may be very different but this "Is" the solution at hand, in your hand, that you can use to simulate WiFi calling. 

As for them making it work on iPhone well, the iPhone isn't really in the same category as the Nexus is it? It's not Unlocked, it can't be taken to any carrier AND furthermore, Sprint has pretty much nothing to do with the dev of the device specs. Now, I could be wrong, but this is how I understand it AND how it not having Sprint WiFi calling on board makes sense. 

FYI, you could sideload it on the N6.  I wouldn't see why you couldn't do it on the 6P as well.

Thanks! 

• Like 1

the 6P definitely latches on to LTE better than the N6 and N5...

going by everyone else's experiences this seems to be an anomaly on my behalf. But once it does latch back on to LTE it hold it places where my HTC One m8 with drop 2 3G stays on band 26.

Just a quick comment about the phone: having Google Now always on is pretty awesome for driving around and also for answering random trivia questions. Really enjoying having all the fancy stuff turned on this phone and still leaving work at 60-70% left. Amazing battery life for me so far.

• Like 2

Status update Robert?

MasterCard's insurance company (The Insurance Company of New Hampshire) is going to make this really, really hard for me.  Stay tuned.

• Like 1

So I had to go and change my scan time as that definitely seems to be the culprit. It had a BSR timer of 60 switched that to 30 rebooted didn't seem to make a diff. Then changed the next lte from 300, to 150…! That made a difference no more 3g in lte areas after a call! Makes me wonder what everyone else's stats are in the menu as it seemed to be unusual behavior.

• Like 1

I've never kept track of Google devices, but interested in the 6p... Anyone know how long before you can get the device online/in-store from carrier? I'd kinda like to go see it in-person and decide for sure..

Not sure if it will even be offered in store unless best buy eventually has it.
  • Like 2

So... I saw a weird post (on Sprint's about not being able to take calls while on Wifi AND connected to LTE.  They said it was a "big deal" with the Nexus 6 last year.  Admittedly, I didn't look at the 6 from last year but I think I would have heard a pretty big fuss about it if it was an issue now.  

Do any of you know of that "old" issue and if it's still an issue.  I just want to reply back to the user as it sounds really strange to me. 

Thanks! 

So... I saw a weird post (on Sprint's about not being able to take calls while on Wifi AND connected to LTE.  They said it was a "big deal" with the Nexus 6 last year.  Admittedly, I didn't look at the 6 from last year but I think I would have heard a pretty big fuss about it if it was an issue now.  

Do any of you know of that "old" issue and if it's still an issue.  I just want to reply back to the user as it sounds really strange to me. 

Thanks! 

AJ just answered that last page: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/7133-huawei-nexus-6p-was-rumor-huawei-nexus-phone/?p=454860 

With the 5X, but the software is the same with the 6P.  It was a very major issue with the N6 and continues to be.  5X and maybe 6P have fixed it. 

• Like 1

I've never kept track of Google devices, but interested in the 6p... Anyone know how long before you can get the device online/in-store from carrier? I'd kinda like to go see it in-person and decide for sure..

I heard that Google wants to promote its online store along with other hardware, so the phones will not be offered in carrier stores.  Best Buy, perhaps?  Perhaps at Google stores in malls?

AJ just answered that last page: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/7133-huawei-nexus-6p-was-rumor-huawei-nexus-phone/?p=454860 

With the 5X, but the software is the same with the 6P.  It was a very major issue with the N6 and continues to be.  5X and maybe 6P have fixed it. 

Oh, hmmmm, I didn't actually know that was what he we referring to but if that was the issue with the 6, that's great that it's fixed.   I guess I didn't realize the Nexus 6 issue that was being referred to was a e/CSFB issue. 

Thanks

Hello!

I was snooping around in the settings an noticed my preferred network type is set to "global" even though one of the options is labeled "LTE (recommended)".

My LTE data seems to be flowing smoothly I just don't want to miss out on any LTE bands or waste battery life.

Here is the pathway to the setting:

settings->wireless & networks->more->cellular networks->preferred network type

Thanks for any info or thoughts on the matter! Love this phone!!! :tu:  

Anyone had their glass break on the back? I'm guessing not, but it's all over the news today. Guessing it's a non-issue, like bend-gate.

More like I dropped my phone and going to blame someone else for it!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 5