Google Nexus 6P by Huawei (was [Rumor] Huawei Nexus phone?)

jefbal99

Oooooh, figured you did that already! Ha ha. You're a Nexus owner now, time to beef up your computer skillz.

Yeah, first line of defense is ALWAYS wipe cache partition in recovery. On any Android phone. Then factory reset, then reflash (especially on a Nexus).

Sent from my Sprint Note5

Yeah sorry I wish I was comfortable enough to do reflashes, I just wish I had someone to be there to guide me. I'm just really freaked out I would mess something up.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but doesn't the Volume Down + Power method do all that?

Yes, from recovery do the cache partition first, see if that fixes it. If not go with factory reset. Still not better? Reflash firmware.

• Like 1

Oooooh, figured you did that already! Ha ha. You're a Nexus owner now, time to beef up your computer skillz.

Yeah, first line of defense is ALWAYS wipe cache partition in recovery. On any Android phone. Then factory reset, then reflash (especially on a Nexus).

Yeah sorry I wish I was comfortable enough to do reflashes, I just wish I had someone to be there to guide me. I'm just really freaked out I would mess something up.

I mean, that's why most OEMs have software tools to do these things. Samsung has Kies for flashing firmware, etc. With Nexus phones the target market is devs who know what they're doing, but they're now pushing normal consumers too. Perhaps Google will push a more user friendly tool for Nexus devices. In all honesty though, you shouldn't really have to ever do this and if you do, believe me there are more than enough videos to build your confidence. That's how I started, haven't bricked anything yet!

• Like 1

I've decided that I'm going to keep my Frost Nexus 6P, and cancel my still pending pre order for the Aluminium! One thing I've noticed about the Frost, is it doesn't show fingerprints with this coating. Also, for the most part it feels quite grippy even for metal device with this finish so far.

Another thing I've noticed and was concerned with going in with regard to amoled, was slight color shifting. I'm going to give it a few days but there seems to be a pink, to yellow hue in certain light. When I shift the device to either right or left angles, it displays a cooler white balance. Not sure if that is glue settling or not. But it is quite noticeably warmer than the LCD nexus 5, iPhone 6s, and my old htc one max I have on hand facing straight on. It is easy on the yes at night, but distracting for the fact color is not true to subject I'm looking at.

• Like 1

Diztronic put their TPU case on preorder for the N6P on amazon! I've been a fan of them for awhile. If you're like me and like thin TPU cases that are plain with basically no logo check this one out. Another reason I like Distronic is because many TPU cases are flimsy on the sides and this brand tends to be the least from the ones I've tried.

http://www.amazon.com/Nexus-Diztronic-Slim-Fit-Flexible-Huawei/dp/B017DU6GMK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446604561&sr=8-1&keywords=nexus+6p+case

• Like 2

Diztronic put their TPU case on preorder for the N6P on amazon! I've been a fan of them for awhile. If you're like me and like thin TPU cases that are plain with basically no logo check this one out. Another reason I like Distronic is because many TPU cases are flimsy on the sides and this brand tends to be the least from the ones I've tried.

http://www.amazon.com/Nexus-Diztronic-Slim-Fit-Flexible-Huawei/dp/B017DU6GMK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446604561&sr=8-1&keywords=nexus+6p+case

I've used Diztronic on my last 4 or 5 phones and like them as well.  Bargain priced, too.  I've got one on my Nexus 5X and it's great like always. 

• Like 1

I ordered it because Spigen can't give me a yes/no/date on if they will make a slimarmor for the 6P.

Edit: Also took some pics of the OnePlus USB to USB type C cables I bought. The one pictured is the 100cm length which is perfect for use at work.

VZ4kLSl.jpg

Hi1aVSD.jpg

Very good build quality on these cables and the included tie off is a really nice touch! The reversible USB side is really handy when I have to plug into a hard to see USB slot (my monitor or on the floor desktop)

• Like 2

anyone know if Nexus 6p supports Sprint's HD voice??

Yes, you won't see the icon just listen for the quality of call!

In case you folks didn't see it http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/11/04/a-google-engineer-who-works-on-usb-type-c-products-is-reviewing-and-identifying-out-of-spec-potentially-dangerous-third-party-cables-and-adapters/

I'm sure the OPO cable is good as are others but something to be mindful of when picking cables up. 

• Like 1

Here are my opinions of the 6P after having it for a few days that might not have been covered yet:

* Size: if the width of the phone could be 2-3 millimeters smaller, the phone would fit more easily into cup holders.  While the phone does fit in my car's cup holder, it does so only at a certain angle and sometimes power button gets pressed turning it off.  On the train, the phone is also a very tight fit.  Maybe next year the screen bezel can be narrowed a tiny bit.

* Headphone jack should be at the bottom.  After coming from iPod Nanos, HTC M8 and iPhones, I'm convinced that headphone jack should be at the bottom.  In the cases where the phone is charging and playing music, it's less cluttered when all cables come out from the same end.  

* Wish phone had Optical Image Stabilizer for videos.

* USB-C & Rapid charging - Oh man, trying to replace the following charging cables: 2 cars, 3 house locations, 1 work location, 1 external battery and 1 backpack spare forces me consider the following:

- Should I get USB-C / USB-C or USB-A / USB-C cable?

- What should I buy to replace my QuickCharge chargers?

- My external battery has a built-in Micro-USB cable.  What to replace it with?

- Should I get USB 2.0 or USB 3.1 cables?

- Selection and availability of cable types and lengths is much more limited, causing me to spend lengthy times on amazon comparing cables.

- RapidChargers are not usually labelled as such.

- Spec confusion: according to specs it seemed like only cables rated for USB 3.1 speeds support 3A at 5V and give you rapid charging.  Supposedly, this would exclude any USB-C / USB-A cabling.  Also implies your charger should have a USB-C plug...  I don't think that's the case anymore, but surely was confusing.

- This last part is a rant, but I'm sure some of you how are anal about their charges will relate

Here are my opinions of the 6P after having it for a few days that might not have been covered yet:

* Size: if the width of the phone could be 2-3 millimeters smaller, the phone would fit more easily into cup holders.  While the phone does fit in my car's cup holder, it does so only at a certain angle and sometimes power button gets pressed turning it off.  On the train, the phone is also a very tight fit.  Maybe next year the screen bezel can be narrowed a tiny bit.

* Headphone jack should be at the bottom.  After coming from iPod Nanos, HTC M8 and iPhones, I'm convinced that headphone jack should be at the bottom.  In the cases where the phone is charging and playing music, it's less cluttered when all cables come out from the same end.  

* Wish phone had Optical Image Stabilizer for videos.

Just as a counterpoint:  The 6P fits in my cupholder just fine (Toyota 4Runner), and I love the headphone jack on the top for two reasons:  when in a cupholder, I can actually attach a minijack or headphones and it works without it being awkward, and similarly, when in the phone is in a pocket, the headphones come out naturally when the port is at the top.  

That said, I do think the ideal size for me is slightly smaller than the 6P, but coming from the 6, I much prefer the 6P.  There's almost nothing else I can find to complain about this phone.

• Like 1

This!  This contributed to the death of my phone.  Had the phone fit in the cup holder, it would not have slipped out on to the floor.  Then when I opened the door to get it, it wouldn't have slipped out and crashed to the ground.   :(

My wife says it is John Legere's fault that I broke my phone.  Because I was pulling over to check out a T-Mobile site build when it slid out of the cupholder.   :lol:

• Like 8

I ordered it because Spigen can't give me a yes/no/date on if they will make a slimarmor for the 6P.

Edit: Also took some pics of the OnePlus USB to USB type C cables I bought. The one pictured is the 100cm length which is perfect for use at work.

Very good build quality on these cables and the included tie off is a really nice touch! The reversible USB side is really handy when I have to plug into a hard to see USB slot (my monitor or on the floor desktop)

A google engineer reports that this cable is no good:

https://plus.google.com/+BensonLeung/posts/LH4PPgVrKVN

Summarized here on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus6P/comments/3ri9ew/the_google_engineer_who_reviews_the_usb_a_to_usb/

I am not at all worried about getting 3A charge or anything out of this cable. I use it at work as a connection to my PC and even Oneplus says it is rated for 2A. I only use the Google USB C to USB C cable with the charger anyways and this cable is compliant with what the other charger I could use it with has for a rating. Mostly it is a nice compact design with 2 reversible ends that has a tiewrap so I can have better cable organization. Plus, it looks cool.

Honestly though I never find myself charging at work like I did my Nexus 5 and according to Ampere the most I am pulling via USB hub or front panel USB is less than 1amp. The Monoprice cables I have are quite beefy but still not nearly as robust feeling as the Google provided USB C to USB C cable.

I am not at all worried about getting 3A charge or anything out of this cable. I use it at work as a connection to my PC and even Oneplus says it is rated for 2A. I only use the Google USB C to USB C cable with the charger anyways and this cable is compliant with what the other charger I could use it with has for a rating. Mostly it is a nice compact design with 2 reversible ends that has a tiewrap so I can have better cable organization. Plus, it looks cool.

Honestly though I never find myself charging at work like I did my Nexus 5 and according to Ampere the most I am pulling via USB hub or front panel USB is less than 1amp (according to Ampere). The Monoprice cables I have are quite beefy but still not nearly as robust feeling as the Google provided USB C to USB C cable.

Well, it concerns me a bit because on his Amazon reviews of other bad cables and adapters, he explains that the bad cables could damage the phone or charger. He hasn't clarified yet if the One+ cable will do that.

Well, it concerns me a bit because on his Amazon reviews of other bad cables and adapters, he explains that the bad cables could damage the phone or charger. He hasn't clarified yet if the One+ cable will do that.

So I read up on your link and think I understand the issue. The USB C side allows 3A per the resistor they put in it but the normal USB side can only supply 2.4A (I believe) per the specifications for that connector. So the possibility exists that someone could find an out of spec 3A capable charger with a normal USB connection that provides over 2.4A and thus could potentially damage the cable.

...and I love the headphone jack on the top for two reasons:  when in a cupholder, I can actually attach a minijack or headphones and it works without it being awkward, and similarly, when in the phone is in a pocket, the headphones come out naturally when the port is at the top.  

You are supposed to put your handset upside down in your pocket.  That way it comes out naturally right side up in your hand.

AJ

• Like 6

This! This contributed to the death of my phone. Had the phone fit in the cup holder, it would not have slipped out on to the floor. Then when I opened the door to get it, it wouldn't have slipped out and crashed to the ground. :(

My wife says it is John Legere's fault that I broke my phone. Because I was pulling over to check out a T-Mobile site build when it slid out of the cupholder. :lol:

I agree with her!

Never ever again underestimate the psychic long-distance telekinetic power of the Dark Lord of Bellevue (and sometimes NYC).

????

• Like 1

My wife says it is John Legere's fault that I broke my phone.  Because I was pulling over to check out a T-Mobile site build when it slid out of the cupholder.   :lol:

You tested the Sprint gods (who govern this S4GRU cult) by questioning your faith in Sprint and expressing too much interest in T-Mobile. You tested wrong.

;)

• Like 1

You tested the Sprint gods (who govern this S4GRU cult) by questioning your faith in Sprint and expressing too much interest in T-Mobile. You tested wrong.

Robert chose…poorly.

AJ

• Like 3

I wanted to know has anyone noticed when coming off a phone call for those who still use the phone to make calls! The phone takes a while to reconnect to LTE and will park on EVDO 3G for little bit before it does connect. Figuring that it's a scan time issue as it only happens intermittently! But something I'm not used to coming from other single radio devices usually it connects to band 2,6 25, if Band 41 is available then Band 41 soon afterwards.