Sprint Home Wifi Router [Wi-Fi Connect][Asus AC66u]

marioc21

I wouldn't say its reliable. I've gone through at least 5 over the last 3 years. It works great when you have just a basic phone.

Router is great so far for me.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

I've had mine replaced once in three years, I had the 2.5 and now have the 2.5+. The unit itself didn't fail, the 12v power supply did and the guy couldn't figure out how to just order the power supply so replaced the entire unit for me. Sprint's Wi-Fi calling needs some serious work to be considered reliable enough to provide coverage replacement. The Asus router is nice, but airave coverage is way more reliable for home voice service than Wi-Fi calling currently is.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I've had mine replaced once in three years, I had the 2.5 and now have the 2.5+. The unit itself didn't fail, the 12v power supply did and the guy couldn't figure out how to just order the power supply so replaced the entire unit for me. Sprint's Wi-Fi calling needs some serious work to be considered reliable enough to provide coverage replacement. The Asus router is nice, but airave coverage is way more reliable for home voice service than Wi-Fi calling currently is.

WiFi calling is bad currently due to some technical issues Sprint aware of.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

setup side to side?

I personally do not have a set up like this, but it is a bad practice to set an Airave beside the Wi-Fi router.  They might interfere with each other.    Separate them as much as possible.   Use a long Cat 5 cable.

I personally do not have a set up like this, but it is a bad practice to set an Airave beside the Wi-Fi router. They might interfere with each other. Separate them as much as possible. Use a long Cat 5 cable.

While I don't have the Asus router, my airave has set next to my wireless router for years without any issue.

While I don't have the Asus router, my airave has set next to my wireless router for years without any issue.

Having the two close together can work, but take it from a guy with a 50 year first class FCC radiotelephone license who used the license in his 50 year communications career-------it is not a good idea to have two devices that generate RF and receive RF sitting on top of each other.

Having the two close together can work, but take it from a guy with a 50 year first class FCC radiotelephone license who used the license in his 50 year communications career-------it is not a good idea to have two devices that generate RF and receive RF sitting on top of each other.

That may be the case. However, just like your wireless router the airave must be centrally located in your home to provide the best possible coverage. By default they are going to be close together in almost every situation.

That may be the case. However, just like your wireless router the airave must be centrally located in your home to provide the best possible coverage. By default they are going to be close together in almost every situation.

Yes, but a couple of feet separation is much better than a couple of inches. (Watch AJ make a comment about this "couple of inches" remark.

I have the Asus Router and Airrave.

We run two phones on the Airrave and one on the Wi-Fi calling. Wi-Fi calling is more like a way to make a call when you have no service. You need to manage your connections etc...And the WiFi calling does disconnect really often...I wonder if it is an SSL tunnel back to Sprint where everything has to be perfect or it disconnects. But with with Wi-Fi calling you can leave your phone's LTE on. With the Airrave you should set the phone to CDMA only, unless there is no LTE in the area. (Every once in awhile we get a blast wave of SMR800 LTE come through or 1900 LTE and the data starved phone could potentially latch onto that poor signal.)

Anyway if you just need a temporary solution use the Wi-Fi calling and if you want have Sprint send you the free Router. The more reliable of the two is the Airrave. The best situation is to use both realizing that neither one is 100% perfect but that AIRRAVE works better for critical, always on applications. Funny my Wi-Fi calling disconnected while I am writing this[emoji4]

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Edited by techfranz
  • Like 1

I have the Asus Router and Airrave.

We run two phones on the Airrave and one on the Wi-Fi calling. Wi-Fi calling is more like a way to make a call when you have no service. You need to manage your connections etc...And the WiFi calling does disconnect really often...I wonder if it is an SSL tunnel back to Sprint where everything has to be perfect or it disconnects. But with with Wi-Fi calling you can leave your phone's LTE on. With the Airrave you should set the phone to CDMA only, unless there is no LTE in the area. (Every once in awhile we get a blast wave of SMR800 LTE come through or 1900 LTE and the data starved phone could potentially latch onto that poor signal.)

Anyway if you just need a temporary solution use the Wi-Fi calling and if you want have Sprint send you the free Router. The more reliable of the two is the Airrave. The best situation is to use both realizing that neither one is 100% perfect but that AIRRAVE works better for critical, always on applications. Funny my Wi-Fi calling disconnected while I am writing this[emoji4]

Sprint will eventually fix the disconnects on the Wi-Fi calling.   They have to fix it  They can not get away with allowing the service to work poorly. It is way past the time to get it fixed, so I have some hope that it happens SOON.

I was playing with whitelist function on the Sprint.com website and bricked my AIRRAVE.... should of left it alone...Manage my AIRRAVE on Sprint.com is broken.

The tech I was on the phone said, however, that as soon as all the non-Wi-Fi calling phones are upgraded they will deprecate all the Airraves....guess that Wi-Fi calling will be the way they are going.

Edited by techfranz

I was playing with whitelist function on the Sprint.com website and bricked my AIRRAVE.... should of left it alone...Manage my AIRRAVE on Sprint.com is broken.

The tech I was on the phone said, however, that as soon as all the non-Wi-Fi calling phones are upgraded they will deprecate all the Airraves....guess that Wi-Fi calling will be the way they are going.

I'd guess that it's cheaper for them to deploy one of these routers than an airrave. 

The Whitelist I had tried to enter on Sprint.com was stuck and could not be deleted, but the Airrave Engineer got the issue resolved. Also, Manage my Airrave on Sprint.com works again.(But I am not touching it again!)

Edited by techfranz

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

To display and turn on AP Mode see the attached image for the section of code that you should comment out (the Green section of code).

I used Chrome's Developer Tools to do it.

The change doesn't persist outside of that page. If you navigate away from that page and return, it will load the page without the commented section and the AP Mode option won't be available.

I assume to turn AP mode, you can do this with the stock Sprint firmware?

I assume you can 

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the Wifi Connect router is limited to 1 router per account?  So lets say you have an ED 5 line plan that is just made up of 5 individuals living at different addresses but of course 1 lines is the main account holder.  Can each line on the 5 line ED plan request the Wifi Connect router or is it only 1 per account?

Does anyone know if the Wifi Connect router is limited to 1 router per account? So lets say you have an ED 5 line plan that is just made up of 5 individuals living at different addresses but of course 1 lines is the main account holder. Can each line on the 5 line ED plan request the Wifi Connect router or is it only 1 per account?

1 per account.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...