Sprint Home Wifi Router [Wi-Fi Connect][Asus AC66u]

marioc21

Is there a tool on the PC that allows you to do this?

Yes, there are many tools out there on PC's that have the ability to scan wifi networks and display relevant information. I used one many years ago trying to find a lost computer. I will try to find the name of it and post it here today. If you are on a Mac however, the app is built into OS X, and is nice and informative.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Sprint sent me both a new Airave (2.5) and the WiFi Connect router. The Airave is still blinking red on mobile, and my wife's iPhone 5s won't connect to the network for WiFi calling either. I called Airave support this morning and the guy had me reboot things for an hour with no success.

Anyone else have tips on getting WiFi calling working on an iPhone and/or proper configuration of Airave with the WiFi connect?

AJ would you still object to discussions about hacking the firmware on the router if the objective is to set high priority in QoS for the Airave?

My curiosity with the firmware was more along the lines of why did sprint disable those specific features in their firmware in the first place? Could they negatively be affecting any of the Wi-Fi calling aspects, or was it just a choice of the head for the project saying, meh they don't need those?

Also does anyone know if you can do a dump of the firmware? I'd like to be able to try and dig into it to see why they made their choices on features.

Edit: had another thought

My thinking is that the QoS settings specific to Sprint's WiFi-calling are really a rather minor part of this offer. It's more that for people with, say, a single-band netgear router from several years ago, this should be a pretty substantial upgrade for their home network. Or for people such as myself who have one nice router, but can use this to set up a second access point for better in-home WiFi coverage, it's also quite a nice upgrade.

It is mostly having a better home WiFi network which will enable a better WiFi-calling experience. The QoS settings are probably nice to have but not essential--with a reasonably fast broadband connection and an up-to-date router you should have a good experience using WiFi calling even without custom QoS. The success of this program is in creating goodwill which should improve customer retention, and Sprint definitely achieves that with the group here.

My curiosity with the firmware was more along the lines of why did sprint disable those specific features in their firmware in the first place? Could they negatively be affecting any of the Wi-Fi calling aspects, or was it just a choice of the head for the project saying, meh they don't need those?

Also does anyone know if you can do a dump of the firmware? I'd like to be able to try and dig into it to see why they made their choices on features.

• Like 2

There are no geographic restrictions on this, like the Airave right?

I can order it and use it at a secondary address not on my account?

Yup, in fact I told the guy I planned to use this at my parent's house where I go often and there's no Sprint service. It's a router.. they don't really know where you use it.

• Like 1

Probably because making it into a repeater would defeat the whole purpose of having the router control the QoS.
  • Like 2

It's a nice upgrade. I had a really old linksys router that was showing its age. Been tempted to buy a new AC router for a long time but didn't see it as enough of an upgrade to justify it. The free offer from Sprint was great. I'm a happy customer. I see no reason to mess with the fw, it's working just fine.

• Like 3

It is mostly having a better home WiFi network which will enable a better WiFi-calling home data service experience. The QoS settings are probably nice to have but not essential--with a reasonably fast broadband connection and an up-to-date router you should have a good experience using WiFi and not sprints network at home calling even without custom QoS. The success of this program is in creating goodwill which should improve customer retention, and Sprint definitely achieves that with the group here while also moving subscribers from the macro network to their home wireless network fed by their home ISP.

mhm.

• Like 1

Ordered one for mom.

Has anyone used this particular router with dsl?

Her current modem+router combo is absolutely atrocious.

I have 10mbps down / 1mbps up dsl. I had a 30 minute conversation over wifi a few nights ago. I had two small hiccups during the call where it cut out for about a second each time but other than that, it seems OK. I also noticed a slight bit more delay than over the macro network but nothing terrible.

Sent from my Note 4.

• Like 1

Got mine in last night. First impression out of the UPS box was that the packaging was pretty high quality, and the router itself looks stellar. Tastefully done branding with the small sprint logo on one side, was expecting it to be over the top.

• Like 1

Still having dropped wifi calls with the router :-(

I have FiOS 50/50 speed tier, which is definitely sufficient enough for voip calls.

I think it's probably bugs with the new feature, not necessarily your network...

Anyone successfully running an Airave downstream of this thing? I have given up and put the Airave between the modem and router, it works after I assigned it a static IP and unblocked the upload speeds but I am not crazy about having a 100Mbps port in the middle of my network

Anyone successfully running an Airave downstream of this thing? I have given up and put the Airave between the modem and router, it works after I assigned it a static IP and unblocked the upload speeds but I am not crazy about having a 100Mbps port in the middle of my network

I've always had it after the router. Never had any issues. Only thing is to put the Ethernet cable in the WAN port not LAN.

I've always had it after the router. Never had any issues. Only thing is to put the Ethernet cable in the WAN port not LAN.

So are you confirming you got this Sprint WiFi connect router and it's still working in that configuration? Or with a different router

So are you confirming you got this Sprint WiFi connect router and it's still working in that configuration? Or with a different router

Both!

• Like 1