Sprint to Offer Free Wifi at Airports Through Boingo

marioc21

You likely will. I'm sure that I probably did something wrong.

My return flight routes through PHX. I'll check & see...

• Like 1

I tried to use it at Phoenix Skyharbor International Airport last week on my way home. I couldn't get it to work though. I had the connection optimizer enabled and I thought that it was supposed to connect automatically, but no dice. Oh well, I had B41 there for the most part anyway. /shrug

So you have to have the Sprint connection optimizer option enabled to use the free Boingo wifi?  I usually have that option disabled.

So you have to have the Sprint connection optimizer option enabled to use the free Boingo wifi?  I usually have that option disabled.

I seem to remember reading that either around S4GRU or elsewhere after the announcement was made that the Connection Optimizer was the way to get it to connect automatically. But, I couldn't get it to work so what do I know?  :unsure:

I couldn't connect on my iPhone in STL. But the LTE was way faster here, anyway.

I'm in DAL next. Hopefully with better results (or, at least fast LTE).

• Like 1

I'm at ORD right now and also can not get this to work.

Connected to the 'free' wifi which has a 30 minute limit.

I couldn't connect in DFW... I'll be in PHX later today and try, try again.

I couldn't connect in DFW... I'll be in PHX later today and try, try again.

Like others, I can see the "Passpoint Secure" network, but I have to have login creds for that. My understanding was that this deal was supposed to automatically authenticate.

My phone automatically connected at LAX T5 today. I didn't have to do anything. It just worked.

I'll see if it connects for me on Friday. Flying out of Terminal 2.

It didn't work for me back in May when I flew out of the Tom Bradley International Terminal. I also have an HTC M8.

I'll be in LAX and MIA this week with an M9 rooted/custom ROM with no Connections Optimizer and will test it out.

So here's how it's supposed to work in theory:

http://www.rcrwireless.com/20150624/network-infrastructure/wi-fi/wi-fi-offload-carriers-turn-to-untrusted-networks-tag4

Untrusted does not have to mean insecure or unreliable. Device-side software helps carriers authenticate users, ensure security and monitor quality. Operators are finding it easier to work within the Android ecosystem, since Android is a more open system than iOS. Sprint’s automatic offload to Boingo Wi-Fi works on Android devices.

“The offload mechanism is through an application pre-installed on Sprint Android phones called the Sprint Connections Optimizer,” said Boingo CTO Derek Peterson. “The application includes a Boingo SDK that provides trusted connection capabilities to the application based on BSSID (Access Point ID), network type, authentication type and other identifiers to enable a successful connection to the network. Upon connection request from the application an authentication and authorization request is forwarded from the visiting network (Boingo) to the home network (Sprint) across an encrypted tunnel. With a successful authentication/authorization the user is allowed on the visiting network.”

In practice, not so much (at least for some of us).

• Like 1

• 2 years later...