Sprint to Offer Free Wifi at Airports Through Boingo

marioc21

It's openly talking about selling some spectrum . . . yet it's installing LAA in case it needs more spectrum?

[insert "HUH" meme here]

Why are you against this? T-Mobile and Verizon is also testing this out as well. Or do you feel the unlicensed spectrum should only be used by T-mobile, making it T-mobile's spectrum?

• Like 2

Read the post to which you replied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure, if they decide to sell spectrum they will get some cash out of it. If they deploy more b41 and end up selling some of that spectrum it becomes more of a hassle. If they use LTE-laa it doesn't matter since they're using unlicensed spectrum. On top of that if all the carriers use some form of LTE-laa it will probably drop the cost of the equipment.

So again why do you feel the unlicensed spectrum should only be used by your favorite carrier?

Sure, if they decide to sell spectrum they will get some cash out of it. If they deploy more b41 and end up selling some of that spectrum it becomes more of a hassle. If they use LTE-laa it doesn't matter since they're using unlicensed spectrum. On top of that if all the carriers use some form of LTE-laa it will probably drop the cost of the equipment.

So again why do you feel the unlicensed spectrum should only be used by your favorite carrier?

1) my favorite carrier is whichever one has consumer friendly policies. I suppose #UncarrierForcedTo is yours.

2) if sprint knows it's gonna need the spectrum then why not borrow from softy and maintain its remaining advantage?

Selling for the benefit of better interest rate on debt for a few years seems awfully shortsighted for a man with a 500 year plan for softy.

Edited by lilotimz
"Softbank" -

1) my favorite carrier is whichever one has consumer friendly policies. I suppose #UncarrierForcedTo is yours.

2) if sprint knows it's gonna need the spectrum then why not borrow from softy and maintain its remaining advantage?

Selling for the benefit of better interest rate on debt for a few years seems awfully shortsighted for a man with a 500 year plan for softy.

My second line is a Metropcs line, so I want T-mobile and Sprint to both continue to improve their networks.

The LTE-laa thing that all the carriers are looking into will help with crowded areas such as stadiums and what not. Looking to add this to supplement the network is not an either or thing in regards to acquiring more spectrum. Are you against T-Mobile looking into this technology too?

My second line is a Metropcs line, so I want T-mobile and Sprint to both continue to improve their networks.

The LTE-laa thing that all the carriers are looking into will help with crowded areas such as stadiums and what not. Looking to add this to supplement the network is not an either or thing in regards to acquiring more spectrum. Are you against T-Mobile looking into this technology too?

Read the post

It's openly talking about selling some spectrum . . . yet it's installing LAA in case it needs more spectrum?

[insert "HUH" meme here]

It doesn't make sense for sprint to be selling spectrum while at the same time spending money on using unlicensed spectrum.

How are you seriously not banned yet?

Soon™

;)

AJ

• Like 13

Awesome! I contacted Boingo and Sprint about which devices are capable...Boingo emailed me very quick with the list! This is great news!

Dear Joshua,

Thanks for contacting us!

Sprint customers with Passpoint-enabled devices can be connected to Boingos Passpoint Secure networks at airports nationwide. By utilizing Boingos Passpoint Secure networks, customers can enjoy a simpler mobile experience with seamless Wi-Fi authentication and WPA2 enterprise-grade encryption technology.

Here is a list of eligible devices:

iOS7 and iOS8

iPhone 5

iPhone 5c

iPhone 5s

iPad 3rd Generation

iPad 4th Genration

iPad Air

iPad Air 2

iPad minis (ALL)

OSX Mavericks and OSX Yosemite

Any Mac device

Android not available

Windows not available

If there's anything more we can do to help, please let us know. We're available 24/7/365 to assist you.

Kyleigh,

Boingo Customer Care Available 24/7

From North America: 1-800-880-4117

From locations outside of North America: 00.800.2646.4646

• Like 1

Well that is what I found on the website also but couldn't post a link. So now I am confused as others say they have already connected to it automatically on a Samsung device. Plus I got a reply on Twitter that says I could download Boingo Finder App to locate there WiFi devices? And I thought yeah I could but to use it would not be automatic or free.  Still confused.

I also cannot QUOTE ANOTHER POST, damn software.

Try not to feed the troll, he trolls almost every single thread here.

• Like 1

The icing on this Wifi cake would be allowing all devices to connect to the wifi network if you're a Sprint customer via a gateway/login/authentication portal. I'd love to toss my kids our iPads during a long layover and have them stream Netflix/Hulu so I can get some peace and quiet. :lol:

• Like 5

Wow. So no Android devices can use the Boingo WiFi

Most Android devices (if not all) can use the Boingo WiFi.  The Sprint Connection Optimizer is going to delect it for you automatically in Android.

BWI!

Bwah!

AJ

The icing on this Wifi cake would be allowing all devices to connect to the wifi network if you're a Sprint customer via a gateway/login/authentication portal.

Phone number and password should be the default credentials, so let it be done.

AJ

• Like 1

Hopefully Sprint can figure out a way to (optionally) let Nexus folk in on Connections Optimizer or get Google to bake the Boingo secret sauce into the Google Connectivity Services bundle.

• Like 3

Yay CLT is on the list!

So literally no user interaction whatsoever is required for the phone to connect to the hotspot?

If that's the case then that's really awesome and sorta-groundbreaking. Most people I know avoid WiFi hotspots simply because of the hassle of going to the sign-in page and accepting terms/entering passwords etc.

• Like 1

Weird seeing all the BWI complaints, I had never been to BWI until 2 weeks ago. I downloaded 2 movies using Plex Sync to watch on the plane over band 41 sitting at my (Southwest) terminal. It wasn't super fast, but about 8mbps, way faster than the airport wifi. I was bouncing between a sprint and clearwire b41 though, but both were about the same.

:dazed: