T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

1 hour ago, Arysyn said:

T-Mobile has become better around here since the initial introduction of BingeOn and the all-unlimited plans. However still not excellent quite yet. I've had some issues at an outdoor mall I've gone to a few times recently, but I'm not sure its necessarily the network. I definitely need a new phone - waiting for the Sony XZ2 Premium, so it may be the limitations of the Microsoft Lumia 950xl I'm still using, grudgingly.

Well what phone do you have? If it doesn't support the latest LTE bands then you're obviously going to suffer.

4 hours ago, danlodish345 said:

Well what phone do you have? If it doesn't support the latest LTE bands then you're obviously going to suffer.

That is what I'm figuring it might be, but I'm not sure. I have the Microsoft Lumia 950xl, which when I bought it there were still some small chance of better support from Microsoft than what there is now. Thankfully I got it at a great price brand new around $300 from B&H, which at the time was well worth it. Now I'm not so sure its even worth $200. The Honor 7x at $200 probably is a better deal actually.

2 minutes ago, Arysyn said:

That is what I'm figuring it might be, but I'm not sure. I have the Microsoft Lumia 950xl, which when I bought it there were still some small chance of better support from Microsoft than what there is now. Thankfully I got it at a great price brand new around $300 from B&H, which at the time was well worth it. Now I'm not so sure its even worth $200. The Honor 7x at $200 probably is a better deal actually.

Well get a phone that is band 12 capable

• 2 weeks later...

Need help identifying this one. I’d normally assume T-Mobile but the middle panel is unfamiliar to me, not sure if that’s massive MIMO or something else.
n3dDH6Q.jpg

4 hours ago, gusherb said:

Need help identifying this one. I’d normally assume T-Mobile but the middle panel is unfamiliar to me, not sure if that’s massive MIMO or something else.
n3dDH6Q.jpg

It seems like it might be Verizon.

• 1 month later...

T-Mobile released RCS UP 1.0 to users of the GS7 and GS7 Edge and a lot of folks feel like they've been mislead. There is no carrier interoperability and it only works on 2 devices right now. They basically gave two devices the bare minimum so that they could meet the deadline that they set for themselves.

30 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

T-Mobile released RCS UP 1.0 to users of the GS7 and GS7 Edge and a lot of folks feel like they've been mislead. There is no carrier interoperability and it only works on 2 devices right now. They basically gave two devices the bare minimum so that they could meet the deadline that they set for themselves.

Meh. RCS is a pretty useless feature without iPhone support. I don't know why everyone wants it so much. So many people have iPhones and Apple will probably never support RCS.

What people should be really hyped about is Android Web Messages. It's a really awesome feature and a lot better than iMessage when it comes to computer support. With such a huge leap in messaging accessibility, I don't know why people are so hung up on RCS. 

Edited by greenbastard

Just now, greenbastard said:

Meh. RCS is a pretty useless feature without iPhone support. Don't know why everyone likes it so much when so many people have iPhones that will probably never support RCS.

What people should be really hyped about is Android Web Messages. It's a really awesome feature and a lot better than iMessage when it comes to computer support. With such a huge leap in messaging accessibility, I don't know why people are so hung up on RCS. 

Because RCS is better than SMS in every way. Why wouldn't I be hyped about it? Super high character limit, being able to send larger files, read receipts, typing indicators, etc. Until RCS is standard across Android devices and carriers, Apple will never implement it. So it's in everyone's best interest to want RCS deployed as quick and as wide as possible.

Web Messaging is great too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

Because RCS is better than SMS in every way. Why wouldn't I be hyped about it? Super high character limit, being able to send larger files, read receipts, typing indicators, etc. Until RCS is standard across Android devices and carriers, Apple will never implement it. So it's in everyone's best interest to want RCS deployed as quick and as wide as possible.

Web Messaging is great too.

>43% of American users have an iPhone. RCS will just become another fragmented messaging solution that is hurt by the division of Android and iOS users. We're better off pushing for cross-platform messaging services such as Telegram or WhatsApp.

I'll get exited once Apple adopts RCS. Until then, big ol' meh.

2 hours ago, greenbastard said:

>43% of American users have an iPhone. RCS will just become another fragmented messaging solution that is hurt by the division of Android and iOS users. We're better off pushing for cross-platform messaging services such as Telegram or WhatsApp.

Apple won't adopt RCS until it become the main form of messaging in the U.S. on Android devices. RCS is not an OTT messaging platform. It, like SMS, is built into the default messenger so most people will be using it without even knowing. If OTT messaging services were the solution to the messaging problems that the U.S. has, everyone would be messaging via FB Messenger, WhatsApp, or Telegram already, but that isn't the case. What we need is better SMS.

No one is the U.S. wants to download an app to message anybody. Allo proved that. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, greenbastard said:

RCS also allows Android users and developers access to things like chat bots,  and business messaging.  As another user said, Apple won't adopt RCS until the only sms messages being sent are between Android users and Apple users.  Currently, it is supported by 55 mobile operators.  It is in everyones best interest for it be available on all carriers so it does not turn into a fragmented mess. 

I'm not sure what T-Mobile is doing but it doesn't really seem they are as actively trying to get RCS enabled for it's users as they say.  Sprint did it in 12 weeks.  T-Mobile has apparently been working on it for over a 100 weeks and can only launch on two devices so far.

9 hours ago, greenbastard said:

Meh. RCS is a pretty useless feature without iPhone support. I don't know why everyone wants it so much. So many people have iPhones and Apple will probably never support RCS.

Well, this is why people use programs such as Facebook Messenger and Whatsapp.  Because their friends use it gives them RCS like capabilities, while being able to import their "low class" SMS messages.  

It isn't really worthless when more than half the USA market uses Android.  iPhone has even less share around the world.  For example the Chinese market share for Android is almost 75% whose market is 3x larger than the USA. So yeah, RCS is a big deal. 
Many other apps support RCS, such as VZW messaging, but have yet to implement the universal profile.

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings everyone. Finally reporting from the Black Hills of South Dakota and Northern Wyoming. T-Mobile has done a rock solid job in Wyoming. All mapped on Cellmapper. Only hole is at Sundance, however, a site looks like it's coming there. This gives solid T-Mobile coverage on I-90 from the South Dakota/Wyoming border through Gillette and beyond. Will map sites beyond and across to Sheridan WY after the Sturgis motorcycle rally. In South Dakota, 600mhz is here. Black Hawk SD site was upgraded yesterday. Catron Blvd site is scheduled next-LIVE date is showing 22AUG18. Keystone and Wall are also scheduled for August. Expect many more to come.  The Golden West tower in Sturgis that T-Mobile was using as a temp tower during the rally is being upgraded to a full suite permanent site. Band 2/4/12 like the other tower in Sturgis. Rapid City has been promised 4 new sites by EOY. I expect them sooner. Will advise when I know more. Things are hopping and Sprint is now in the mix as well. It's a great time for this area. 

• Like 4

Excellent news on coverage!   Enjoy that new availability!! Hopefully once the merger is approved, (hoping) we will all get an uptick of new coverage.      

Greetings everyone. Finally reporting from the Black Hills of South Dakota and Northern Wyoming. T-Mobile has done a rock solid job in Wyoming. All mapped on Cellmapper. Only hole is at Sundance, however, a site looks like it's coming there. This gives solid T-Mobile coverage on I-90 from the South Dakota/Wyoming border through Gillette and beyond. Will map sites beyond and across to Sheridan WY after the Sturgis motorcycle rally. In South Dakota, 600mhz is here. Black Hawk SD site was upgraded yesterday. Catron Blvd site is scheduled next-LIVE date is showing 22AUG18. Keystone and Wall are also scheduled for August. Expect many more to come.  The Golden West tower in Sturgis that T-Mobile was using as a temp tower during the rally is being upgraded to a full suite permanent site. Band 2/4/12 like the other tower in Sturgis. Rapid City has been promised 4 new sites by EOY. I expect them sooner. Will advise when I know more. Things are hopping and Sprint is now in the mix as well. It's a great time for this area. 
I went through that area just a month ago and coverage wasn't that great for where I went and which was also around Sundance so I unfortunately have to switch myself out to AT&T

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I went through that area just a month ago and coverage wasn't that great for where I went and which was also around Sundance so I unfortunately have to switch myself out to AT&T

In Wyoming you have to have a Band 71 phone for certain as sites are Band 4 and Band 71. Going to be similar here soon if you want the BEST experience.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

In Wyoming you have to have a Band 71 phone for certain as sites are Band 4 and Band 71. Going to be similar here soon if you want the BEST experience.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

I had band 71 capable phone the Galaxy S9 Plus it's still then work out great for me. But for those that love TMobile which is fine and their continued improvements which I would like to see continued eventually I would switch back. But for now for where I go to mobile is not a suitable option but for those that love them more power to them:-)

• Like 1

On 6/30/2018 at 7:58 PM, red_dog007 said:

Well, this is why people use programs such as Facebook Messenger and Whatsapp.  Because their friends use it gives them RCS like capabilities, while being able to import their "low class" SMS messages.  

It isn't really worthless when more than half the USA market uses Android.  iPhone has even less share around the world.  For example the Chinese market share for Android is almost 75% whose market is 3x larger than the USA. So yeah, RCS is a big deal. 
Many other apps support RCS, such as VZW messaging, but have yet to implement the universal profile.

I found rcs on t mobile to be kinda unreliable...didnt work right half of the time

For those espousing RCS. It will never supplant iMessages on the iPhone. There might be a gateway to RCS so that they can communicate with RCS users on Android but that's about it! Now I have both an iPhone and an Android phone bu that's because I am a geek and my android phone is my backup phone. 

As far as T-Mobile is concerned kudos to them for expanding coverage. I can't wait to see what they will do with Sprint's spectrum/network.

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bigsnake49 said:

For those espousing RCS. It will never supplant iMessages on the iPhone. There might be a gateway to RCS so that they can communicate with RCS users on Android but that's about it! Now I have both an iPhone and an Android phone bu that's because I am a geek and my android phone is my backup phone. 

As far as T-Mobile is concerned kudos to them for expanding coverage. I can't wait to see what they will do with Sprint's spectrum/network.

I don't think anyone actually expects RCS to supplant iMessage. Instead we expect it to replace SMS.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

I don't think anyone actually expects RCS to supplant iMessage. Instead we expect it to replace SMS.

Why? SMS is an extremely low overhead protocol riding on top of the control channel. MMS yes, it can replace MMS.

37 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

Why? SMS is an extremely low overhead protocol riding on top of the control channel. MMS yes, it can replace MMS.

The whole point of it is to replace both sms and mms, and it works pretty well on Sprint, not so much on Tmobile.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nexgencpu said:

The whole point of it is to replace both sms and mms, and it works pretty well on Sprint, not so much on Tmobile.

The RCs doesn't work right at all. SMS actually works a lot better. Half the time I didn't even get notifications saying it was delivered.

6 minutes ago, danlodish345 said:

The RCs doesn't work right at all. SMS actually works a lot better. Half the time I didn't even get notifications saying it was delivered.

Works fine for me, luckily, I know a ton of folks on Sprint. So it works well.

• Like 1