T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

Guys, please stop posting ad nauseum which providers work well or do not in your area.  That has no transferability to anywhere else, matters not a whit to anyone else. You repeatedly are cluttering up The Forums with the same local observations.

AJ

This is so true. 

Guys, please stop posting ad nauseum which providers work well or do not in your area. That has no transferability to anywhere else, matters not a whit to anyone else. You repeatedly are cluttering up The Forums with the same local observations.

AJ

Ok my apologies

Sent from my ASUS_Z01HD using Tapatalk

It's a good way to ensure a steady revenue stream, especially for single line customers. The BS about covering 99% of America aside, the entire industry has shifted from single line accounts to family plan discounts. 

Verizon at $45x4 is an amazing offer, very hard to compete against.

• Like 1

It's a good way to ensure a steady revenue stream, especially for single line customers. The BS about covering 99% of America aside, the entire industry has shifted from single line accounts to family plan discounts.

Verizon at $45x4 is an amazing offer, very hard to compete against.

Very true, despite my own objection to the family plan discounting.

I did like Sprint's Framily plan discounts though, which added value for people on the plan, the more that were in, the more value for everyone. I believe something similar to Framily may happen again after the mergers, unless it takes the other direction back to individual line charging once competition has been minimized. I doubt things are going to stay the exact way, and even if they somewhat do, prices will be raised on multi-line accounts to match closer to the first line.

• Like 1

There definitely seems to be love lost in fans for T-Mobile over at this Reddit article. Seems like the cult of John Legere has broken up, which is a great thing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/6mf4jn/john_says_earnings_is_next_week_next_uncarrier/?sort=new

well thats good i was getting tired of it...but their network is no where near verizon...let alone AT&T...

Wow, what a periscope.  Like 6 minutes looking at the same cloths.  A cheap 30 free emoji plug, lol.  Getting harder and less excited at saying "we are cheaper still".  He knows that is changing, lol.

• Like 1

Wow, what a periscope. Like 6 minutes looking at the same cloths. A cheap 30 free emoji plug, lol. Getting harder and less excited at saying "we are cheaper still". He knows that is changing, lol.

This was the plan all along. The uncarrier stuff was just to fluff the numbers. Now that's it's here, time to raise prices. Even in that periscope, he didn't even try to defend the price rise. He just spoke about Verizon and their taxes.

To this day I still don't understand why HD video streaming is not standard on the ONE plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This was the plan all along. The uncarrier stuff was just to fluff the numbers. Now that's it's here, time to raise prices. Even in that periscope, he didn't even try to defend the price rise. He just spoke about Verizon and their taxes.

To this day I still don't understand why HD video streaming is not standard on the ONE plan.

Probably because T-Mobile or John Legere himself needed to find a way in continuing to honor Neville Ray's "brilliant accomplishment" of working a way to lessen video streaming quality on the network for BingeOn.

Well I think Plan A was pump and dump as in pump up the numbers and then get acquired/merge (see Nextel). Now since Sprint is putting on the brakes on a potential merger and is flirting with the cable cos, T-Mobile went with plan B and increasde prices to recover some of the lost revenue.

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 2

Well I think Plan A was pump and dump as in pump up the numbers and then get acquired/merge (see Nextel). Now since Sprint is putting on the brakes on a potential merger and is flirting with the cable cos, T-Mobile went with plan B and increasde prices to recover some of the lost revenue.

Yep. Not to mention the capital spent to acquire the low band spectrum and build out the network. Magentans who believed the budget pricing would survive alongside a network that comes close to the big two were naive. Pricing will always follow quality

• Like 5

Yep. Not to mention the capital spent to acquire the low band spectrum and build out the network. Magentans who believed the budget pricing would survive alongside a network that comes close to the big two were naive. Pricing will always follow quality

I have all four carriers and out of the four carriers I have Verizon is expensive but I get an amazing network and I have no issues with customer service...I refuse to pay Verizon like prices on a network that has sub par quality like t mobiles patch work you call a network...besides...it's obvious T-Mobile doesn't have the deep coffers that the big two have...in Delaware T-Mobile is nothing more then a skeleton network unless you have a brand new phone... Sprint's CDMA network is 100% Rock Solid along the coastal highway unlike T-Mobile....build out a network like Verizon and I can then see it be justified paying those prices ...

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 2

And they will raise prices even further. I bet they're pissed VZW lowered theirs where they did. Now VZW knows Tmo wants to go up a little more, I wouldn't be surprised if VZW pulls back on their pricing once they capture the share they're looking for. And once Tmo gets a little head room to raise further, bam!

Sprint, the fourth carrier, is really going to determine where prices are going to be competitively. We see the Top 3 will push the pricing up. I've never been for a Tmo and Sprint marriage. But I'm getting more and more against it. I think we can see exactly what will happen without a fourth carrier.

It's actually quite brilliant how Legere has played millions and millions of people into thinking he was some sort of consumer advocate. The Wireless Ralph Nader. They would have blindly agreed for him to take competition out of the market, because he was so trusted to bring competition, even out of consolidation and reduced competition. But we knew he was just another corporate charlatain who just is only looking out for his corporate interest. And that is his job. But he convinced large swaths of people into believing he was looking out for them. Largely by swearing about the competition and giving away some freebies. He really played it well. "I'm gonna stick it to the Duopoly!"

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

• Like 11

And they will raise prices even further. I bet they're pissed VZW lowered theirs where they did. Now VZW knows Tmo wants to go up a little more, I wouldn't be surprised if VZW pulls back on their pricing once they capture the share they're looking for. And once Tmo gets a little head room to raise further, bam!

Sprint, the fourth carrier, is really going to determine where prices are going to be competitively. We see the Top 3 will push the pricing up. I've never been for a Tmo and Sprint marriage. But I'm getting more and more against it. I think we can see exactly what will happen without a fourth carrier.

It's actually quite brilliant how Legere has played millions and millions of people into thinking he was some sort of consumer advocate. The Wireless Ralph Nader. They would have blindly agreed for him to take competition out of the market, because he was so trusted to bring competition, even out of consolidation and reduced competition. But we knew he was just another corporate charlatain who just is only looking out for his corporate interest. And that is his job. But he convinced large swaths of people into believing he was looking out for them. Largely by swearing about the competition and giving away some freebies. He really played it well. "I'm gonna stick it to the Duopoly!"

Sprint will raise their prices too, maybe not to the level of the other three but they will. They need revenue to pay down their debt. I, unlike you, think that T-mobile and Sprint should merge but as a condition for the merger they should cover 99% of the land area of the US with usable signal.

• Like 1

Well we cannot understate that he took the number 4 carrier and made it the solid number 3 carrier all while improving the financials of the company and still expanding the network footprint. He has done many great things and in turn also forced Sprint to do many great things. Sprint as well has forced others to compete as well. Just a few years ago T-Mobile was the laughingstock of the wireless world and now every carrier once again as unlimited because of how many customers TMUS was poaching. Yes they raised prices now, but that is why competition is great. People will churn to the cheaper company.

• Like 3

Sprint has already indicated that they will raise prices as soon as they can. They have said current price levels are unsustainable. If VZW raise prices expect to see the industry follow.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Sprint will raise their prices too, maybe not to the level of the other three but they will. They need revenue to pay down their debt. I, unlike you, think that T-mobile and Sprint should merge but as a condition for the merger they should cover 99% of the land area of the US with usable signal.

Oh, I agree Sprint will raise their rates.  And if there was no T-Mobile and Sprint was number 3, Sprint would act just like them.  No doubt.  But four carriers does add more competition and better results for consumers...so long as 4 carriers can remain viable.

Robert

Oh, I agree Sprint will raise their rates. And if there was no T-Mobile and Sprint was number 3, Sprint would act just like them. No doubt. But four carriers does add more competition and better results for consumers...so long as 4 carriers can remain viable.

Robert

I definitely see T-Mobile and Sprint raising prices to cover debt and network upgrades and other critical infrastructure projects to stay competitive. I honestly would not mind seeing Sprint raise prices not just to pay off debt. But to also upgrade their Network I'm getting tired of John Ledger and his mouthy attitude. Whether the magentans realize it or not he is not the Messiah of Wireless. Yes he's done great things I shall acknowledge that. But at the same time they are no longer the uncarrier there are now a carrier price-wise comparable to Verizon. Nationwide their network has a very very long way to go in order to be on a level that's with AT&T let alone Verizon.

Robert, you are exactly spot-on correct about John Legere. All except that I think Ralph Nader would make a much better CEO than John Legere. Although, this post will be a bit long, as I have alot to say about this and regarding Sprint with T-Mobile, and some of my spectrum ideas at the end.

Besides that, I've been saying for a long time how horribly overrated John Legere is. People who credit him for T-Mobile's success in the past few years really ought to keep in mind a few things. T-Mobile had help in the $4 billion breakup fee they received from AT&T, which John Legere had absolutely nothing to do with. That money was used on the network improvements T-Mobile desperately needed, which credit ought to go to Neville Ray for.

All John Legere did was to take the popular bad-ass gimmick that has been used in the past to make businesses look cool, such as in professional wrestling. That didn't take much talent to do, nor was it much risk to the company considering T-Mobile has always been more focused on younger adults in the value market. Its pretty simple to see how that character would win over those people, and it isn't as if T-Mobile had much to lose in terms of the business professional market.

Getting rid of contracts is likely something any new CEO to T-Mobile would have done, do crediting John Legere for that doesn't make him much more recognition worthy than to say he was in the right place at the right moment. It certainly doesn't make him out to be the visionary genius his supporters and those giving him more recognition than he deserves seem to make him out to be. At the most, he only really deserves to be considered lucky to have been given the job when he did with the ability to copy ideas from other businesses using those ideas in T-Mobile, those being low risk ideas as they were.

Of course, my opinion of him is much less. I not only view him as a charlatan, but as an evil, spiteful, very mean-spirited person. Wireless needs someone the complete opposite if him. It would be great for there to be a true "uncarrier", led by a CEO who doesn't act corporate, but rather acts in the interests of consumers. However, that person ought to be some who is kind to others, nice, in general, and certainly not a bully like John Legere.

That is why if Sprint merges with T-Mobile, they ought to replace John Legere with Guenther Ottendorfer. Besides Guenther's excellent personality, he actually mentions things of improvement to Sprint not things that have been done before in the past, such as the Magic Box and HPUE. The key is to innovate by means of new ideas, which Sprint actually is quite good at, such as the Fair & Flexible, SERO, Framily, and All-In rate plans, One Sprint, Phone Leasing, Nationwide tri-band Spark network streamlined spectrum portfolio rather than reckless auction bidding creating vast unevenness in spectrum between markets, and other variable aspects that make Sprint quite unique.

It is in that case, perhaps Sprint would be best alone, deploying and densifying their way to bring the great wireless network company they can be, if only they'd have the cash for it. Although, a merger with T-Mobile and best to have Dish along with it too, I doubt that would do much to damage/destroy Sprint's character and the uniqueness of it. Merging with Comcast and Charter very well might though, as I see that leading to a takeover by Verizon. At least with Sprint with T-Mobile and preferably Dish too, Sprint would remain a third carrier, rather than being merged into a situation that very possibly could end up in a two carrier market.

Plus, Sprint would be very strong on both ends and the middle of the spectrum equation working with T-Mobile and Dish. The 600mhz spectrum would be a minimum of 15x15, though 20x20 would be in many markets. AWS-4 could be 20x20 from Dish's 40mhz, despite Dish petitioning the FCC to allow them to use all of that for download. If Dish got their lost AWS-3 spectrum back from the tax situation, in combination with what they do have I believe its 10x10 or 15x15 in various markets. Same with AWS-1 and PCS, which also go up to 20x20. Combine Sprint with T-Mobile, PCS ought to be 20x20 nationwide.

With nationwide 20x20 PCS and 20x20 AWS-4, I think the combined company ought to negotiate with AT&T and Verizon to trade either AWS-1 or AWS-3 spectrum, so the combined company can have either nationwide 20x20 AWS-1 or 20x20 AWS-3, while trading off the other for that opposite spectrum and possibly some extra cash to be used to buy/trade for added 600mhz spectrum elsewhere. If the combined company could get 20x20 nationwide 600mhz spectrum also, they could have a very strong, powerfully streamlined nationwide spectrum operation between three pairs of nationwide mid-band 20x20, along with 20x20 in the low-band (possibly giving up Sprint's 800mhz spectrum and T-Mobile's 700mhz spectrum as part of the merger deal).

At last, the combined company keeping the 120mhz of band 41 spectrum, which if divided in half between download and upload, would give the combined company a grand total of 140mhz of download spectrum and 140mhz of upload spectrum, granted if they traded for this spectrum arrangement nationwide, and of course considering all other issues involved in such deals. It definitely would make for a much more spectrum beneficial arrangement than what is available from Comcast and Charter, unless of course Comcast and Charter have bigger plans that include Verizon. If the Charter Comcast deal is announced, I'll post my scenario ideas on that involving spectrum here.

I have graded college finals that are shorter than this post^. Can we get the Cliff Notes version? But in all actuality people need to stop bashing John. I am not a T-Mobile fan, but again the results speak for themselves. Yes, he may have been selling some snake oil, but name one carrier that doesn't sell some snake oil. He may be crass, but he has done quite a bit with a struggling carrier, while managing to shake up an industry that was dominated by the top two players for almost a decade. If I was a shareholder, I would be very impressed with what he has done. Also, Guenther Ottendorfer is a great COO, but just because he is a great COO does not mean he would make a great CEO. It is a different skill set. Further, Marcelo has done wonders with Sprint's financials. We are talking about a company that most have had on its deathbed since the Nextel merger. He has been able to stabilize the financials and right the ship. Sprint is still far from being a 'health' company, but Marcelo has put them on a much more sustainable path.

• Like 3

I have graded college finals that are shorter than this post^. Can we get the Cliff Notes version? But in all actuality people need to stop bashing John. I am not a T-Mobile fan, but again the results speak for themselves. Yes, he may have been selling some snake oil, but name one carrier that doesn't sell some snake oil. He may be crass, but he has done quite a bit with a struggling carrier, while managing to shake up an industry that was dominated by the top two players for almost a decade. If I was a shareholder, I would be very impressed with what he has done. Also, Guenther Ottendorfer is a great COO, but just because he is a great COO does not mean he would make a great CEO. It is a different skill set. Further, Marcelo has done wonders with Sprint's financials. We are talking about a company that most have had on its deathbed since the Nextel merger. He has been able to stabilize the financials and right the ship. Sprint is still far from being a 'health' company, but Marcelo has put them on a much more sustainable path.

But from a technical standpoint Sprint and T-Mobile are two different companies in terms of Network Technology. To merge those two will cost billions and then much more in terms of the technological side.

But from a technical standpoint Sprint and T-Mobile are two different companies in terms of Network Technology. To merge those two will cost billions and then much more in terms of the technological side.

I didn't mention a merger in my post, so I don't now why you quoted me on this. As for network technology, that ship has sailed. All carriers in the USA will be primarily based on LTE very soon. CDMA will be sunset in less than half a decade, so this argument is not valid for much longer. This is why you are seeing Sprint roam on AT&T in some areas now. Sprint is last in enabling voLTE, but now that they are testing it, I would be shocked if they were not aggressive in the rollout of voLTE. 

I didn't mention a merger in my post, so I don't now why you quoted me on this. As for network technology, that ship has sailed. All carriers in the USA will be primarily based on LTE very soon. CDMA will be sunset in less than half a decade, so this argument is not valid for much longer. This is why you are seeing Sprint roam on AT&T in some areas now. Sprint is last in enabling voLTE, but now that they are testing it, I would be shocked if they were not aggressive in the rollout of voLTE.

Very true...but sprint is dead last with voice over LTE testing. They have a very long way to go before they can commercially roll it out like the other three carriers did so I don't really see Sprint getting into the voice over LTE game until at least 20 20.

I have graded college finals that are shorter than this post^. Can we get the Cliff Notes version? But in all actuality people need to stop bashing John. I am not a T-Mobile fan, but again the results speak for themselves. Yes, he may have been selling some snake oil, but name one carrier that doesn't sell some snake oil. He may be crass, but he has done quite a bit with a struggling carrier, while managing to shake up an industry that was dominated by the top two players for almost a decade. If I was a shareholder, I would be very impressed with what he has done. Also, Guenther Ottendorfer is a great COO, but just because he is a great COO does not mean he would make a great CEO. It is a different skill set. Further, Marcelo has done wonders with Sprint's financials. We are talking about a company that most have had on its deathbed since the Nextel merger. He has been able to stabilize the financials and right the ship. Sprint is still far from being a 'health' company, but Marcelo has put them on a much more sustainable path.

Snake oil salesman? Crass? I am glad you showed the group to stop bashing. ROFL. :hah: