T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

seeing Verizon's patterns when it comes to T-Mobile they may just stay the same I would have to say you are right and with the new LTE spectrum they got they will easily be able to match the coverage area of Verizon if it's deployed properly and tuned right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We heard this spiel when B12 went live. TMobile was going "kill" AT&T and Verizon because their grid is spaced for PCS and AWS, but guess what? There was little improvement.

So many people are complaining about B12 coverage in NYC, their most important market...

• Like 2

T-Mobile's network is nowhere near anything as stable as Verizon's network. I just did a project using T-Mobile and Verizon as backhaul for a test, and T-Mobile's coverage was sorely lacking 5 minutes away from city center.

Side by side, Verizon is > 50mbps while T-Mobile is around 3mbps.

Agreed.

If anything t-mobile is great at pr stunts but no matter how much hype they spend on promotions it doesn't compare to Verizon's network. Anyone who leaves big red is doing it out of impulse and Will quickly learn the grass is not greener in fact it's all smoke and mirrors with legere who excel at marketing.

• Like 1

We heard this spiel when B12 went live. TMobile was going "kill" AT&T and Verizon because their grid is spaced for PCS and AWS, but guess what? There was little improvement.

So many people are complaining about B12 coverage in NYC, their most important market...

While Band 12 will offer some amount of improvement in certain areas, some more than others, you are correct about the amount of hype it got. The problem is the amount of Band 12 spectrum T-Mobile got, at 5x5, is not enough. They really need at least 10x10 of it to make it work well enough, though certainly not great.

Agreed.

If anything t-mobile is great at pr stunts but no matter how much hype they spend on promotions it doesn't compare to Verizon's network. Anyone who leaves big red is doing it out of impulse and Will quickly learn the grass is not greener in fact it's all smoke and mirrors with legere who excel at marketing.

I can definitely tell you that T-Mobile has made some progress where I live in central New Jersey. But Verizon still has the reliability and coverage on their side. Besides at rush-hour T-Mobile just crawls. And Verizon just owns them .

I can definitely tell you that T-Mobile has made some progress where I live in central New Jersey. But Verizon still has the reliability and coverage on their side. Besides at rush-hour T-Mobile just crawls. And Verizon just owns them .

Rush hour is really bad for T-Mobile here where I've traveled in the Chicago suburbs. On the opposite, in areas with well densified band 41, Sprint is excellent during rush hour when connected on band 41.

T-Mobile has reclaimed number two on Root for the first time in years in Chicago. Not sure how cuz I tested extensively in the end of March and it still wasn't good. Methinks a lot might've changed since B12 launch (perhaps a bunch of small cells were fired up simultaneously like they claimed they did).

http://rootmetrics.com/en-US/rootscore/map/metro/chicago-il/2017/1H

• Like 2

T-Mobile has reclaimed number two on Root for the first time in years in Chicago. Not sure how cuz I tested extensively in the end of March and it still wasn't good. Methinks a lot might've changed since B12 launch (perhaps a bunch of small cells were fired up simultaneously like they claimed they did).

http://rootmetrics.com/en-US/rootscore/map/metro/chicago-il/2017/1H

Verizon AT&T both still claim number 1 and 2 spots where I live. T-Mobile still has a long way to go in terms of consistency where I live and coverage improvements are needed.

• Like 1

T-Mobile's network is nowhere near anything as stable as Verizon's network. I just did a project using T-Mobile and Verizon as backhaul for a test, and T-Mobile's coverage was sorely lacking 5 minutes away from city center.

Side by side, Verizon is > 50mbps while T-Mobile is around 3mbps.

Funny but the last time I did a side by side it was the opposite, Verizons network was spotty and slow whereas tmobiles was fast. However verizon did cover more places (albeit not very well) than tmobile. I think its fair to say verizon still have a network advantage for coverage over tmo. 

LTE works in East Kentucky. Coverage is so-so. Speeds are solid ~20Mbps. It is fairly new fresh deployment, haven't run into 700A and grabbed onto even HSPA+.

I remember looking at the coverage maps for the various carriers years ago and noticed for a long time a greyed out zone somewhere in that region going towards West Virginia and was wondering when that was going to be covered.

Is verizon still expanding coverage, increasing density or have they capped out with their spectrum available?

http://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/verizon-just-over-50-our-spectrum-being-used-for-lte

~50% of spectrum being used for LTE

Density? Of course. They have over 13k small cells and have pledged another 3-4k per major city plus new macro sites.

I'm averaging over 100mbps in my town (next to Boston) on Verizon. I'd say they're doing just fine...

• Like 1

Is verizon still expanding coverage, increasing density or have they capped out with their spectrum available?

I highly doubt that. Last I read they are on this whole small cell kick and adding more. Spectrum wise, I'm sure they are no where near capped.

I highly doubt that. Last I read they are on this whole small cell kick and adding more. Spectrum wise, I'm sure they are no where near capped.

they definitely have more than T-Mobile

they definitely have more than T-Mobile

I can agree on that. I think that Verizon will always stay ahead of T-Mobile when it comes to network especially when it deals with reliability. T-Mobile covers a good amount of the U.S. but I never understood why the network as a whole is so unstable yet Sprint though the slowest is more stable and they are the least dense.

I can agree on that. I think that Verizon will always stay ahead of T-Mobile when it comes to network especially when it deals with reliability. T-Mobile covers a good amount of the U.S. but I never understood why the network as a whole is so unstable yet Sprint though the slowest is more stable and they are the least dense.

i guess tmobiles core infrastructure and density is no where near Verizon's ... I have all four carriers post paid and I can tell you that during rush hour T-Mobile crawls like AT&T ... but Verizon and sprint keep toe to toe with each other...

• Like 1

VZW has added a couple new macros by me. Need it for VoLTE and to have the same or better coverage once 3G is turned off.

t-Mobile doesn't perform very well once it's rush-hour here

• Like 1

I'm glad I'm not with Verizon anymore after reading about how they are only using half of their spectrum for LTE. If John Legere is to be believed, then Verizon ought yo be deploying their spectrum for LTE just as Sprint should with band 41. I'm not sure how these carriers could be content with seeing their speeds drop, if they easily could do something about it by deploying more spectrum.

I'd really like to know how much spectrum T-Mobile is using. If they're actually using it, then that validates T-Mobile's network claims and I'll respect John Legere for speaking up on the issue.

I'm glad I'm not with Verizon anymore after reading about how they are only using half of their spectrum for LTE. If John Legere is to be believed, then Verizon ought yo be deploying their spectrum for LTE just as Sprint should with band 41. I'm not sure how these carriers could be content with seeing their speeds drop, if they easily could do something about it by deploying more spectrum.

I'd really like to know how much spectrum T-Mobile is using. If they're actually using it, then that validates T-Mobile's network claims and I'll respect John Legere for speaking up on the issue.

Verizon easily beats out T-Mobile in my area for speed reliability in and quality in coverage but also they are not using 800 MHz yet for LTE it's still for CDMA

• Like 1

Verizon easily beats out T-Mobile in my area for speed reliability in and quality in coverage but also they are not using 800 MHz yet for LTE it's still for CDMA

This. Even with Verizon using half their spectrum, their network is consistently the best across the US.

They have until late 2019 to completely get rid of 1x.

Edited by WiseGuy321
  • Like 1

Being a Sprint, Vzw, and Tmobile sub. There's no better carrier then Vzw. Hands down. Even with them getting hit hard with going to unlimited. They're re going to invest to meet all there needs.

Nextel, was once ran like that. Sadly, it never took hold at Sprint.

• Like 1

Being a Sprint, Vzw, and Tmobile sub. There's no better carrier then Vzw. Hands down. Even with them getting hit hard with going to unlimited. They're re going to invest to meet all there needs.

Nextel, was once ran like that. Sadly, it never took hold at Sprint.

I have all 4 nationwide carriers

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I won't touch Att wireless. I have them as my home Internet provider... And Let's just say I have not choice but them. #nottohappy

I have all 4 nationwide carriers

• Like 1

I won't touch Att wireless. I have them as my home Internet provider... And Let's just say I have not choice but them. #nottohappy

Do you have Verizon wireless?

• Like 1