HTC One M9 User Thread

COZisBack

When signal hunting or just having the best signal quality for actually using the HTC One m9 on Sprint, do you select 

Settings >> Network Mode  >>

Automatically

or

LTE/CDMA

Do you have a particular reason for doing so?

When signal hunting or just having the best signal quality for actually using the HTC One m9 on Sprint, do you select 

Settings >> Network Mode  >>

Automatically

or

LTE/CDMA

Do you have a particular reason for doing so?

Auto will give you the same results as LTE/CDMA.

• Like 1

Is it safe to assume, that the m9 supports 3x20 carrier aggregation in this iteration. As its X10 modem? Will support such function when network is ready possibly?

Is it safe to assume, that the m9 supports 3x20 carrier aggregation in this iteration. As its X10 modem? Will support such function when network is ready possibly?

I do believe our SoC is certified for 3x CA so lets hope for the best. :)

I do believe our SoC is certified for 3x CA so lets hope for the best. :)

Not at all likely.  The LG G4 also uses the Snapdragon X10 LTE baseband, so read that article for an explanation.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-385-updated-use-the-4th-lg-may-the-4th-be-with-you/

AJ

• Like 1

Not at all likely. The LG G4 also uses the Snapdragon X10 LTE baseband, so read that article for an explanation.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-385-updated-use-the-4th-lg-may-the-4th-be-with-you/

AJ

Thank you.I've read that before for the G4. But, that leads me to believe it's just a monetary reason for not including the necessary component... I also read on the 6&9 article that the download CA wasn't disclosed so it gives me hope, that it does have the necessary transmitter. Not surprising if not, but none the less annoying!

• 3 weeks later...

Becoming somewhat disillusioned with this phone. Still having issues with it latching onto LTE without an airplane model toggle. Still having band swaps - was out back of my office and it would jump from B41 to B26 to 3G to B26 and back to B41 every few seconds.

Just frustrating.

• Like 1

So I will put this out there. Definitely not trashing Sprint here, so please don't misconstrue my comments as such.

I have been testing the One M9 on T-Mobile and Sprint in the Richmond, VA and Hampton Roads, VA markets for the past several months now (two separate devices). This phone performs much better on T-Mobile than it does on Sprint. I can only conclude that band priorities are set incorrectly (meaning, not optimized for the real world) on the Sprint One M9. What is a completely horrible experience with the One M9 on Sprint that originally led me to believe HTC had engineered a lemon is a 100% different story on T-Mobile. Same market, exact same test locations. Devices such as the iPhone work great on Sprint in the same locations. One can only conclude that there is something amiss with the band priorities on this phone, specifically, as it relates to Sprint. Yeah, it's Sprint's fault. Will they fix it? I don't know. Is it an issue in other markets? Again, I don't know...just sharing my anecdotal input.

• Like 1

So I will put this out there. Definitely not trashing Sprint here, so please don't misconstrue my comments as such.

I have been testing the One M9 on T-Mobile and Sprint in the Richmond, VA and Hampton Roads, VA markets for the past several months now (two separate devices). This phone performs much better on T-Mobile than it does on Sprint. I can only conclude that band priorities are set incorrectly (meaning, not optimized for the real world) on the Sprint One M9. What is a completely horrible experience with the One M9 on Sprint that originally led me to believe HTC had engineered a lemon is a 100% different story on T-Mobile. Same market, exact same test locations. Devices such as the iPhone work great on Sprint in the same locations. One can only conclude that there is something amiss with the band priorities on this phone, specifically, as it relates to Sprint. Yeah, it's Sprint's fault. Will they fix it? I don't know. Is it an issue in other markets? Again, I don't know...just sharing my anecdotal input.

It's not going to be the "priorities" but how the radio and network are communicating and bouncing us from bands. Priority only determines the band scanning order when the device initially connects to the network. 

That is good (and sad) to hear that the device is working much better on T-mob as it DOES give us hope here with the Sprint variant.  I live in a very Sprint centric market, have pretty good connectivity (B25/26 everywhere I go and B41 actively being deployed all over), nothing like I know other users see with their M9's but I know it could be better. 

Thank you for sharing, it's insightful for sure.  :thx:

• Like 2

Honestly I'm starting to think it's market/vendor dependent, because my m9 has only gone from good to great signal wise. It's basically matching my n5 now, although on the ultra fringe areas the n5 still holds on and transfers from fringe signal to fringe signal better.

• Like 2

Honestly I'm starting to think it's market/vendor dependent, because my m9 has only gone from good to great signal wise. It's basically matching my n5 now, although on the ultra fringe areas the n5 still holds on and transfers from fringe signal to fringe signal better.

After the update, my phone got LOADS better and I'm in a Samsung market with all new equipment (no leftovers from the WiMax days) and all 8TR8 where B41 has been deploy which is covering more and more by the week. 

I should add, even with that being said, I know this device can do better when it comes to connectivity.  When I look at the logs and connectivity reporting I should not see MOSTLY red (meaning not good connectivity), I should see mostly GREEN (for good) and surely some yellow and red because that's just the nature of the game. 

Unfortunately I've had really bad experiences with the m9 over the past month or so on Sprint. I simply did not have any data throughput despite having an LTE connection. Toggling into airplane mode sometimes worked but the only sure fire thing that ever worked was switching to 3G instead of LTE.

At the end of last week I finally called it quits and sold back my m92 to Sprint for the LG G4 instead and I can unequivocally say that in the exact same locations the LG G4 does not experience the same issues that my particular m9 did so therefore I conclude that it is not simply a network issue that was causing my problems but some sort of undefined issue between the m9 and the network that definitely in my case was not resolved with the latest updates.

• Like 1

Wished I never dropped my M7.

Whatever the root cause is - crappy provisioning, network optimization issues, poor real world RF - I think this phone is a loser.

If ANYONE knows how to tweak things so improve RF performance, I'm all ears. I don't know what's going on, but in areas by my office where I used to latch onto a usable LTE signal, now I end up roaming 3G on VZW...WTF???

I dread looking at my battery life because that little bar showing network is 99% red.

Flash the original radio, there's a zip on XDA. It's not as good as my n5 was, but the M9 is still a good performing phone (actually better on b41 than the n5 was).

Wished I never dropped my M7.

I don't know what's going on, but in areas by my office where I used to latch onto a usable LTE signal, now I end up roaming 3G on VZW...WTF???

In my area, they must be tweeking some things.  See  http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5375-nebraskaiowa-premier-thread/?p=434764

The connection issues with the phone seem to be in southern California. Before the last update I had nothing but issues in the area. I didn't have the dropped calls or abnormal LTE connection issues in Seattle, San Jose, Dallas, or Houston.

Since the last update I can keep call connection but spend a lot of time unable to connect to LTE in areas I used to have it in southern California. In Houston two weeks ago I was able to get LTE in areas the m8 couldn't. However there were times the m8 had connection but the m9 didn't.

There is still many issues in southern California. My work requires that I travel from the San Fernando valley, to Palm desert all the way to San Diego, and the connection issue is the same in my travels in the area.

Maybe CA network work is still part of the issue, but I was in Laughlin this weekend (hello 117 heat)...standing next to my daughter she exclaims "wow, I've got great 4G here!" on her S5...I look down to see 1 bar and then flips to 3G.

Again, this is across the river from a live 4G tower and between two others on the Nevada side...

i just switched to a M9 from a S5 and it seems as if the M9 LTE is weaker, i wonder if it has anything to do with the metal housing instead of the plastic the S5 uses

For whatever reason, HTC handsets have been mostly flaky performers on Sprint LTE.  On other operators, similar HTC variants have been fine.  But the shoe is on the other foot with different OEMs or handsets.  Some have performed very well on Sprint but not so much for other networks.  For now, anyway, I would look to other options besides HTC for top RF performance on Sprint.  And this is coming from someone who really likes the design and firmware of recent HTC handsets. 

AJ

• Like 1