Samsung Galaxy S6 & S6 Edge User Thread

COZisBack

Anyone experiencing drops calls in ALU market with the S6?  Took it on a test drive, drove around connected to HD voice and drops several calls.  I think it has something to do with the HD voice.  I couldn't drop any calls calling somewhere else.  It had to be Sprint to Sprint HD voice connections.

Sprint simply told us to disable connections optimizer and switch network mode to lte/cdma which didn't help.

On way home dropped more than 5 calls on both non HD and HD voice calls.  The escalations team been mute.  Hopefully we hear back tomorrow on next steps and hopefully a firmware is in the works.

• Like 1

On way home dropped more than 5 calls on both non HD and HD voice calls. The escalations team been mute. Hopefully we hear back tomorrow on next steps and hopefully a firmware is in the works.

https://community.sprint.com/baw/mobile/mobile-access.jspa#jive-discussion?content=%2Fapi%2Fcore%2Fv2%2Fdiscussions%2F204172

Oh man, so many issues for lots of S6 owners. Making Sprint look really bad. Hope they come up with a fix asap.

As for me, no more issues so far after that "voice refresh update."

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Oh man, so many issues for lots of S6 owners. Making Sprint look really bad. Hope they come up with a fix asap.

Guess those RF predictions have come all too true. Well, and some buggy software for tower hand offs. Seems outrageous for a new device.

(so glad I held off my urges to buy)

sent from an underwater dust storm from my Sprint S5

Are the issues with other carriers RF like Verizon?

The LTE max ERP/EIRP figures for the VZW and AT&T variants, respectively, are roughly as follows.

VZW:

Band 2:  22 dBm

Band 4:  23 dBm

Band 5:  16 dBm

Band 13:  17 dBm

AT&T:

Band 2:  24 dBm

Band 4:  24 dBm

Band 5:  16 dBm

Band 12:  19 dBm

Band 17:  19 dBm

Band 30:  18 dBm

Then, for Sprint variant comparison, you can refer back to our article.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-383-summer-of-69-samsung-and-htc-rock-out-with-their-flagships-for-the-season/

The common shortcoming seems to be with high band spectrum.  See AT&T variant band 30 and Sprint variant band 41.  RF output for mid band and low band spectrum is at least okay, even quite good.

AJ

• Like 2

I guess I've been lucky with mine, I haven't had any of the major issues with dropped calls people are having and the RF performance has been performing on par with the S5 i was using so I'm happy, the only issue I've really got is the couple bugs relating to battery life with wifi causing cell standby to shoot up and the google bug with location services that people are experiencing on multiple carriers but I've been able to work around both of those pretty well so even my battery isn't terrible but I'm hoping for an update to address those sometime soon, maybe even 5.1 which should help too.

Alright, have a bit of an odd issue here that I am also seeing on other sites

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s6/513933-s6-sprint-data-connection-slow-start.html

http://forum.xda-developers.com/sprint-galaxy-s6/help/s6-samsung-apps-facebook-instagram-lag-t3081748

https://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/204564

Like the users there, I am having a very hard time getting my S6 to get data on a few things like the Facebook application while on Sprint's network.  On wifi it runs just fine and normal internet browsing doesn't have this issue.  I've tried reinstalling the application from scratch, updating profile, factory resets, and none of it fixes it.  Is this something isolated that only some like me are suffering from or are there people here seeing the same thing?  Right now it is almost making the phone useless out of house/work environments that do have Wifi.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s6/513933-s6-sprint-data-connection-slow-start.html

http://forum.xda-developers.com/sprint-galaxy-s6/help/s6-samsung-apps-facebook-instagram-lag-t3081748

Like the users there, I am having a very hard time getting my S6 to get data on a few things like the Facebook application while on Sprint's network. On wifi it runs just fine and normal internet browsing doesn't have this issue. I've tried reinstalling the application from scratch, updating profile, factory resets, and none of it fixes it. Is this something isolated that only some like me are suffering from or are there people here seeing the same thing? Right now it is almost making the phone useless out of house/work environments that do have Wifi.

I have over 170 apps installed & no data issues here. In fact, my data is much better than what I got from my old S4. B41 is nice & fast

Some of the rotation issues have also been with Verizon users.

I have over 170 apps installed & no data issues here. In fact, my data is much better than what I got from my old S4. B41 is nice & fast

Maybe it only affects the "plain" S6 and not the edge like you have though.  Just baffling.  Tried the other apps in those threads and I have the same issue with Google Play Music, Instagram, etc that they do besides the aforementioned Facebook.  Just wish I knew what I could do to bring this to Sprint's attention.  CS will just blow me off of course.

Maybe it only affects the "plain" S6 and not the edge like you have though. Just baffling. Tried the other apps in those threads and I have the same issue with Google Play Music, Instagram, etc that they do besides the aforementioned Facebook. Just wish I knew what I could do to bring this to Sprint's attention. CS will just blow me off of course.

Twitter is your friend. Tag sprintcare and the ceo

Twitter is your friend. Tag sprintcare and the ceo

I got a "This is a known issue. We are working with our device techs to get this resolved. Temporary work around is set your GS6 to CDMA" reply.  Not sure if it is honest or just fluff said to placate me.  Disabling LTE for the time being isn't a solution imho.

Like the users there, I am having a very hard time getting my S6 to get data on a few things like the Facebook application while on Sprint's network.  On wifi it runs just fine and normal internet browsing doesn't have this issue.  I've tried reinstalling the application from scratch, updating profile, factory resets, and none of it fixes it.  Is this something isolated that only some like me are suffering from or are there people here seeing the same thing?  Right now it is almost making the phone useless out of house/work environments that do have Wifi.

This is similar to an issue I saw from time to time with my S5 when I would bring back up apps that were running in the background when the data connection was idle. Sometimes they just wouldn't get data and I'd have to completely close them and reopen them or open another app to trigger a data session then they would work fine. It was like the phone refused to bring the data connection out of idle to connect at the apps request when it had been running in the background. On the S6 I don't think I've had this happen or it isn't nearly as prevalent and hasn't caught my attention.

Are the issues with other carriers RF like Verizon?

I returned my Verizon S6. It dropped calls where I have never dropped calls before. Also it seemed like every time I pulled it out of my pocket it was on 3G. It didn't hold a candle RF wise to my N6. Between that and the battery issues I had it wasn't going to work. Traded it in on a M9 and have been pleasantly surprised with battery life and it seems to perform very well in the RF department. Sure liked the S6 screen tho.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are some RF comparisons of the GS6 Edge vs the GS5. The first 2 are comparing B25 and the last one is a shot of both on B26. The GS6 clearly is around 5 db worse that the GS5 in all the tests but seems to hold on to LTE a lot longer and at much higher numbers before it falls back to 3G compared to the GS5.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i3q5tqhmdf8w0sl/20150409_075909-1.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r6o7ku04qvr4msy/20150409_075917-1.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fk8vjp2makbnmh7/20150409_075632-1.jpg?dl=0

• Like 1

Sounds like the GS6 is turning out to be quite a lemon...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meh, I don't think so. My wife has one and it has been a solid phone for her. A few people's observations are not indicative of the entire user experience.

Same comments can be said about anything...GM vs. Chevy, HP vs. Lenovo, Chicago vs New York.

Meh, I don't think so. My wife has one and it has been a solid phone for her. A few people's observations are not indicative of the entire user experience.

Same comments can be said about anything...GM vs. Chevy, HP vs. Lenovo, Chicago vs New York.

Take it on a test drive.  We have 6 Sprint S6 Edge in our office, all of them drop calls throughout the city..

The GS6 clearly is around 5 db worse that the GS5 in all the tests but seems to hold on to LTE a lot longer and at much higher numbers...

Lower signal strength figures, not higher.

AJ

People calling it a lemon? C'mon man.

It definitely seems like there's a small percentage of buggy handsets out there, but many of us that have it are not experiencing dropped calls and bad battery life.

The irony in your last statement is that you are discounting the observations of many others in favor of the observations of you and your wife.  "A few people's observations are not indicative of the entire user experience" could be directed right back at you.

Regardless, RF ERP/EIRP is not subjective -- it is quantitative.  In our S4GRU article, we showed that the Galaxy S6 lab measurements did not compare well to those of its predecessor and its competitor.  Now, real world measurements show likewise.  That is not debatable.

AJ

People calling it a lemon? C'mon man.

It definitely seems like there's a small percentage of buggy handsets out there, but many of us that have it are not experiencing dropped calls and bad battery life.

I cannot speak for them, but I believe that some are calling it a "lemon" not only because of the bugs but also because of the step backward in raw RF performance.

AJ