WiFi Calling Support For iOS Coming Soon?

RedSpark

So I thought I had read somewhere that with iOS 10 you'll be able to go from wifi calling to the sprint tower network seamlessly. Is this the case? I would actually use wifi calling if it worked like that instead of just dropping the call if wifi strength drops...

So I thought I had read somewhere that with iOS 10 you'll be able to go from wifi calling to the sprint tower network seamlessly. Is this the case? I would actually use wifi calling if it worked like that instead of just dropping the call if wifi strength drops...

I believe that is only possible once VoLTE is enabled, which is likely years off for Sprint. 

I believe that is only possible once VoLTE is enabled, which is likely years off for Sprint. 

I'm 98% sure that WiFi to CDMA handoffs are working now. Don't quote me on that though, as I've never tested it, but I remember reading it after we discovered the WiFi calling changes in iOS 10.

-Anthony

• Like 1

Sprint has adopted the Wifi Calling standard that apple uses which is pretty much mostly based on the well known and adopted 3GPP standards. That's why recent android devices could not do SMS over WiFi as they don't use the old proprietary IMS core. 

The new wifi calling implementation will allow WiFi calling to CDMA soft handoffs. 

Sprint has adopted the Wifi Calling standard that apple uses which is pretty much mostly based on the well known and adopted 3GPP standards. That's why recent android devices could not do SMS over WiFi as they don't use the old proprietary IMS core. 

The new wifi calling implementation will allow WiFi calling to CDMA soft handoffs. 

Really? Has that been verified yet? 

https://regmyudid.cc/downloads/profiles/

(On your iPhone) Tap first profile in the list, install it, and the iOS 10 GM will show up in Software Update after a reboot. No need to wait! Delete the profile after iOS10 has loaded and you'll be all set. 

This is next Wednesday's release, so it's not cheating. 8-) 

For all of those who want to see the wifi calling to CDMA smooth handoff in action I posted a secret YouTube video of it:

Why did it switch to CDMA when voicemail took over? It looks like it was still connected to Wi-Fi during the call, was there a reason it went to CDMA instead of the call staying on Wi-Fi?

What I'd like to test is making a call, then slowly walking down the street until my phone drops home Wi-Fi to see if it still stays connected.

Why did it switch to CDMA when voicemail took over? It looks like it was still connected to Wi-Fi during the call, was there a reason it went to CDMA instead of the call staying on Wi-Fi?

What I'd like to test is making a call, then slowly walking down the street until my phone drops home Wi-Fi to see if it still stays connected.

The phone determines when the wifi conditions are inadequate and hands you over accordingly from my observations. I purposefully went into a room with a sporty wifi connection.

The phone determines when the wifi conditions are inadequate and hands you over accordingly from my observations. I purposefully went into a room with a sporty wifi connection.

I think it's too much of a coincidence that it switched to the Macro network as soon as the call connected, though. I guess it just didn't seem like a "handoff" in the video, it just "switched" before the call began. 

Nice! Any chance we can see it happen mid conversation tho?

I just went outside and started a call on wifi, then walked away from the wifi while talking to someone. It became spotty and eventually I got the Call Failed message. No handoff.

iPhone 5C, Sprint 25.0 Carrier, iOS 10.0.1. 

Has anyone else tried this type of scenario yet? This seems like the most common situation, like receiving a call in the garage on wifi, then driving away from the house.