FCC Revokes Net Neutrality [WAS: FCC Approves Net Neutrality]

JThorson

8 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

A little levity (and some truth) here.

The Internet was fine before these rules. It’ll be fine after these rules are repealed. The FTC will take over to ensure fair competition.

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2017/12/statement-acting-ftc-chairman-maureen-k-ohlhausen-fccs-approval

What a douchebag/Troll!!

Lawsuits incoming!

https://ag.ny.gov/press-release/ag-schneiderman-i-will-sue-stop-illegal-rollback-net-neutrality

• Like 3

1 minute ago, nexgencpu said:

The Internet grew like hell before the last 2 years of “Net Neutrality” was enacted.

Why would the future now be any different?

If anything, the Internet will innovate through this line anything else.

2 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

The Internet grew like hell before the last 2 years of “Net Neutrality” was enacted.

Why would the future now be any different?

If anything, the Internet will innovate through this line anything else.

Net Neutrality always lived undisclosed pre legislation. Title II just made it official and a hell of alot harder for ISP's to play games.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

Net Neutrality always lived undisclosed pre legislation. Title II just made it official and a hell of alot harder for ISP's to play games.

A couple pieces for your consideration:

http://pinetreepolitics.bangordailynews.com/2017/11/29/relax-your-internet-will-be-just-fine/

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/industry-voices-gillott-time-to-take-a-breath-and-chill-about-net-neutrality

Sprint offers HD Video with Unlimited Freedom at 1080P. And if you want to, now you can pay $10/Month per line for Ultra HD Video.

We all remember when Unlimited Freedom was rolled out with Mobile Optimized Video and it was a $20/Month Add-On for HD Video per line.

There was competition from other carriers with better plan pricing/features, and Sprint responded by including HD Video for free and matching the 10 GB Hotspot offered.

I don’t see this being any different. The FTC’s job is to ensure there’s enough competition for that to happen.

• Like 1

A couple pieces for your consideration:
http://pinetreepolitics.bangordailynews.com/2017/11/29/relax-your-internet-will-be-just-fine/
https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/industry-voices-gillott-time-to-take-a-breath-and-chill-about-net-neutrality
Sprint offers HD Video with Unlimited Freedom at 1080P. And if you want to, now you can pay $10/Month per line for Ultra HD Video.
We all remember when Unlimited Freedom was rolled out with Mobile Optimized Video and it was a $20/Month Add-On for HD Video per line.
There was competition from other carriers with better plan pricing/features, and Sprint responded by including HD Video for free and matching the 10 GB Hotspot offered.
I don’t see this being any different. The FTC’s job is to ensure there’s enough competition for that to happen.

Many areas don’t have competition when it comes to wireline ISPs. So they will have no one to respond to.
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, tybo31316 said:

Many areas don’t have competition when it comes to wireline ISPs. So they will have no one to respond to.

Actions can be taken at the local level to improve competition in those markets.

Actions can be taken at the local level to improve competition in those markets.

Yeah. Like that’s going to happen. Most of the local level governments are a part of the reason that most Americans don’t have multiple broadband options.
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, tybo31316 said:

Yeah. Like that’s going to happen. Most of the local level governments are a part of the reason that most Americans don’t have multiple broadband options.

Vote.... or Run.

Support people that want to improve and expedite the permitting process for Cell Sites.

5G Fixed Wireless will happen.... and sooner with supportive office holders.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

I don't think, that after so many years, that the local competition issue will ever be solved.

• Like 1

Just now, RedSpark said:

5G fixed wireless from wireless carriers.

That's different.  For me at least, I'm talking about wired competition.  

I know there will eventually be wireless home competition.

3 minutes ago, clbowens said:

That's different.  For me at least, I'm talking about wired competition.  

I know there will eventually be wireless home competition.

I know.

For many however, the price and service will be just what they need... and there will be overlap.

And the best thing to do is reform the permitting process to enable this competition to happen sooner.

7 minutes ago, though said:

BINGO

Yup. 5G Fixed Wireless is ultimately where T-Mobile is going for its TV venture with Layer 3.

Comcast/Verizon will be cut out of the loop entirely, as you won’t need a wireline, and there’s your competition.

Perhaps Sprint will get in on this as well with its trove of 2.5 GHz spectrum.

Best thing to do is support local officials that want to expedite the permitting and it’ll all happen sooner.

• Like 2

Yup. 5G Fixed Wireless is ultimately where T-Mobile is going for its TV venture with Layer 3.
Comcast/Verizon will be cut out of the loop entirely, as you won’t need a wireline, and there’s your competition.
Perhaps Sprint will get in on this as well with its trove of 2.5 GHz spectrum.
Best thing to do is support local officials that want to expedite the permitting and it’ll all happen sooner.

Haha. [emoji23] You have it all figured out. Only time will tell.

2 minutes ago, tybo31316 said:

Haha. emoji23.png You have it all figured out. Only time will tell.

It’s my best guess. B)

You can actually do this on Sprint now to a degree.

Sprint now offers an Unlimited Hotspot Data Plan for $50/Month.

Streaming is limited to 480P (it would be nice to have an HD Add-on) but this is passable.

If you want to show Comcast/Verizon and the others how you feel, close your wallet and walk away.

• Like 3

If you want to show Comcast/Verizon and the others how you feel, close your wallet and walk away.

I have in the past and will in the future. I’m not loyal to any company. I would like to use any company I want. Unfortunately the way our ISPs are setup by region I can’t do that.

Only if other people in America boycott and start dropping some of these greedy corporations things will change a lot faster.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, tybo31316 said:

I have in the past and will in the future. I’m not loyal to any company. I would like to use any company I want. Unfortunately the way our ISPs are setup by region I can’t do that.

Only if other people in America boycott and start dropping some of these greedy corporations things will change a lot faster.

Fixed 5G Wireless is the key to all this happening.

2 hours ago, though said:

In general I am against what the Oligopolies want, particularly, Facebook.

I hope that you have better critical thinking to offer than the above.  It is more or less analogous to the "Obama supported it, so I am opposed to it" attitude.

Net Neutrality is not a partisan, us vs them issue.  It has significant support across the aisle.  Those who are opposed to Net Neutrality tend to be few and fall into one or more of these camps: 

• ISP entrenched interests who hope to maximize profits from anti neutral actions
  • anti government and/or free enterprise zealots who believe that the market inherently produces the best or deserved solutions
  • people who are ignorant of or have been misled about the actual tenets of Net Neutrality
  • comment spam bots

Lastly, characterizing Facebook, et al., as "the Oligopolies" comes across as mildly ironic, since the real concern of Net Neutrality is the oligopoly or even monopoly hold that ISPs have over so many home broadband consumers.

AJ

• Like 8
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, WiWavelength said:

I hope that you have better critical thinking to offer than the above.  It is more or less analogous to the "Obama supported it, so I am opposed to it" attitude.

Net Neutrality is not a partisan, us vs them issue.  It has significant support across the aisle.  Those who are opposed to Net Neutrality tend to be few and fall into one or more of these camps: 

• ISP entrenched interests who hope to maximize profits from anti neutral actions
  • anti government and/or free enterprise zealots who believe that the market inherently produces the best or deserved solutions
  • people who are ignorant of or have been misled about the actual tenets of Net Neutrality
  • comment spam bots

Lastly, characterizing Facebook, et al., as "the Oligopolies" comes across as mildly ironic, since the real concern of Net Neutrality is the oligopoly or even monopoly hold that ISPs have over so many home broadband consumers.

AJ

You have your opinion sir, I have mine. I'll leave it at that.

2 hours ago, nexgencpu said:

Force feeding vs consumers making bad choices are not one and the same. At any given time the next "big thing" can happen organically (isn't Capitalism the American way?) and totally disrupt the industry. Good luck trusting ISP's choosing the winners and losers.

Why do you care that big content can use the government to rig the industry in their favor against big telecom? The market is more than capable of dealing with a two sided industry. 

2 minutes ago, though said:

You have your opinion sir, I have mine. I'll leave it at that.

Well, not all opinions are created equal.  I supported mine.  You did not.  So, as it stands, your opinion is unsubstantiated and/or ignorant.

AJ

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, utiz4321 said:

Why do you care that big content can use the government to rig the industry in their favor against big telecom? The market is more than capable of dealing with a two sided industry. 

No, I, as the consumer do not want to be charged twice, once for the connection and another time for streaming or consuming content by my ISP. The content provider pays for the connection on their end and I pay for mine. I also do not want my ISP to use paid lanes to favor certain content over others.

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 3