FCC Revokes Net Neutrality [WAS: FCC Approves Net Neutrality]

JThorson

Scroll up to post number 122. There is a possibility that title two would give the FCC the authority to do this. The FEC already has the authority with campaign related websites.

Guys, stop reading all the hyperbole on both sides. All net neutrality rules are doing is to make sure that everybody plays by the same rules. We have seen the same situation play out in the the old PSTN when AT&T did not want to allow telephones it did not manufacture to be installed on its network. Did the network collapse? No of course not. Same thing happened in the power generation field when the incumbent utilities fought against merchant plants. It's the same with networks in our current situation. Everybody plays by the same rules which are published so you know how the game is played. Unfortunately, in our current situation we have cable cos dominating the fixed broadband world and they are the gatekeepers. We just want to make sure that they play fair with everybody, not deciding winners and losers. Making sure that OTT services have the same priority so that Apple TV or Google TV do not have an unfair advantage over Netflix or Amazon Prime Video because they paid more for access. 

• Like 1

Guys, stop reading all the hyperbole on both sides. All net neutrality rules are doing is to make sure that everybody plays by the same rules. We have seen the same situation play out in the the old PSTN when AT&T did not want to allow telephones it did not manufacture to be installed on its network. Did the network collapse? No of course not. Same thing happened in the power generation field when the incumbent utilities fought against merchant plants. It's the same with networks in our current situation. Everybody plays by the same rules which are published so you know how the game is played. Unfortunately, in our current situation we have cable cos dominating the fixed broadband world and they are the gatekeepers. We just want to make sure that they play fair with everybody, not deciding winners and losers. Making sure that OTT services have the same priority so that Apple TV or Google TV do not have an unfair advantage over Netflix or Amazon Prime Video because they paid more for access.

Fcc did not pass neutrality.

They passed net neutrality AND Title II

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, you have made that abundantly clear -- multiple times.  The FCC instituted Net Neutrality via application of Title II.  We are aware.

So, shut up about it.  Or take your disgust elsewhere.

Got it?  Good.

AJ

• Like 3

And in you own words, that is Verizon's fault more than anything.

• Like 1

And in you own words, that is Verizon's fault more than anything.

Except it might affect everyone else negatively.

Republicans were willing to pass net neutrality - under threat of title II - so there was no need for title II if the only objective was net neutrality; it obviously wasn't.

Edit: to be fair, the republican bill would've neutered the fcc in other ways and I have no idea how to find this unreleased bill.

So there may have been some poison pills; I don't know.

But from the looks of it, it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

Yeah, you have made that abundantly clear -- multiple times. The FCC instituted Net Neutrality via application of Title II. We are aware.

So, shut up about it. Or take your disgust elsewhere.

Got it? Good.

AJ

Wow. I wonder what would happen if I were to tell someone to shut up about anything.

============

There's more implications than just "they used title II to pass net neutrality"

Except it might affect everyone else negatively.

Republicans were willing to pass net neutrality - under threat of title II - so there was no need for title II if the only objective was net neutrality; it obviously wasn't.

And when did the Verizon lawsuit happen?  Several years ago?  And the Republicans have controlled the House all that time.  I do not recall them ever introducing such a bill.

But all that does not matter.  The FCC wants this.  And the Democrat leadership wants this.  So it is no surprise that they pushed it through.  They are going to see through everything they want, where they have the ability to do so.  The Democrats have voting control in the FCC...3 to 2.  Anything that comes down party lines will be a loss for the minority party.

Politically, the Republicans can dissect this new FCC rule, and decide if anything crosses the line in it legally.  They have two thirty day review periods in play now before it takes effect.  Congress has lots of authority over the FCC.  Until the points come out specifically that they object to, you are just disagreeing in principle over and over again.  We get it...you disagree.  As well as some others.

I really do not want to see this thread continue unless there are specific debatable points based on new information.  This guy likes it, that guy don't...I hate the President, I like Title II...all that is getting boring and/or annoying.  It does not further the conversation in wireless public policy.

• Like 4

I really do not want to see this thread continue unless there are specific debatable points based on new information.  This guy likes it, that guy don't...I hate the President, I like Title II...all that is getting boring and/or annoying.  It does not further the conversation in wireless public policy.

I agree. I think all the important points have been discussed and now people are getting emotional about it.

Comparison to railroad regulation

http://www.bgdailynews.com/opinion/commentary/net-neutrality-myths/article_81f57416-2482-57a5-8785-57d841bd469d.html

Last paragraph:

The Internet poses many genuine problems, led by cybersecurity; net neutrality is not among them. It is an opportunity to impose more regulation that, as the example of the railroads warns, threatens to exact a slow and growing economic toll on the Internet’s vitality.

Read the comments following Jim Cicconi's AT&T Public Policy blog entry on the Net Neutrality rulemaking.  Note how many clearly come from AT&T employees.  That company is an astroturfing machine.

http://www.attpublicpolicy.com/broadband-classification/thoughts-on-todays-vote/comment-page-1/#comments

AJ

• Like 1

I dont care weather it has Title 2 or not. The current free market model is CLEARLY not working and broken to hell. if it comes to that point then we do in fact need government oversight because if we dont then we just have ISPs raping our wallets whil doing little to improve service.

I will take everything they passed with open arms if it can knock down ISPs a peg or two.

I dont care weather it has Title 2 or not. The current free market model is CLEARLY not working and broken to hell. if it comes to that point then we do in fact need government oversight because if we dont then we just have ISPs raping our wallets whil doing little to improve service.

I will take everything they passed with open arms if it can knock down ISPs a peg or two.

From what the fcc passed, which element will reduce prices?

Answer is nothing unless they do price controls which they promised they won't do.

I'm curious: what are you paying for broadband ONLY ie what offers for broadband only are available?

I currently have comcast $30 25/5 but speedtests consistently report 30/5

Answer is nothing unless they do price controls which they promised they won't do.

I'm curious: what are you paying for broadband ONLY ie what offers for broadband only are available?

I pay $45/mo for 3/1 and only get on average 1.5/.75. I'm not happy about it either.

At&t uverse FTTP. $72 with taxes and fees for 18/1. Speed tests at 23.5/1.5.

They're the only ISP available here despite Charter in the ground.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

I pay $45/mo for 3/1 and only get on average 1.5/.75. I'm not happy about it either.

At&t uverse FTTP. $72 with taxes and fees for 18/1. Speed tests at 23.5/1.5.

They're the only ISP available here despite Charter in the ground.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

So how would title II help?

Only way to reduce prices are:

Price control, last mile unbundling, more competition.

Fcc said they're not gonna do first two things - I think they're lying - but let's say they won't.

Competition is true cure. Why didn't they do anything to address this? Maybe tax credit for wiring new homes.

Fcc already does this with rural connect America fund. Why not implement a larger version of this?

I pay $30 for 25/5 (internet only) because there's wow cable and uverse available to me.

What will title II do to encourage competition? It seems more focused on managing existing monopolies.

Competition is true cure. Why didn't they do anything to address this? Maybe tax credit for wiring new homes.

Fcc already does this with rural connect America fund. Why not implement a larger version of this?

My problem is at&t only covers bits and pieces of town with DSL, and being converted to Uverse internet, no tv. Digis (WISP) covers the entire town, but ever since they merged with WaveDirect, their network went to crap, and the local cable company only covers about 50% or so of town, and yes, they have lines less than a mile from me, but won't run the lines down my street without $5,000.

I dont care if it reduces prices per say i just want more competition in my area. currently we have only 1 service provider and that is time warner. we pay like $70 i think for 30/5 and we are also in an area that will be spun off into charter assuming they let comcast/time warner merge.

Charter offers up to like 60/5 and we could easily have that around here but i would rather have the speed time warner offers in texas of like 200/10 (or was it 20?)

I dont care if it reduces prices per say i just want more competition in my area. currently we have only 1 service provider and that is time warner. we pay like $70 i think for 30/5 and we are also in an area that will be spun off into charter assuming they let comcast/time warner merge.

My feelings also. I don't need an unlimited choice of providers. But I would hope most people would have the choice of a couple wired providers, plus some fixed wireless options.