LG G4 User Thread (Was: Rumor Thread)

JThorson

So it looks like it happened again this morning. This time I got a screenshot. So the error message is "Unable to install Sprint Default ." Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it's in the Play Store, and I have no idea where "Manage Packs" would be.

Also, it does show the Google Now Launcher in the background, but after I click cancel, when I press the home button, it goes to the LG home screen and I have to re-set Google Now as my main launcher. Pressing Retry will retry and fail and come back to this screen.

I'll be posting this to Sprint and LG to see if they know of the issue, but I'm hoping one of you guys happen to have run into this at some point, whether on this phone or another one.

The issue may be sprint id. This usually installs during activation but sometimes errors out and causes the issue you are seeing. You can do a factory reset which should fix the issue.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Not quite that easy. I'd have to give up the freebie microsd card from LG and the $100 gift card from best buy. Plus note is more expensive. Tough choice. 9 more days to decide.

Stick with the G4.

See, 4 days in and I'm only like averaging about 11 hours with light use. Right now I'm at 26% after 7:41 of use time. I've got about. T hours left. I'm thinking of doing a factory reset and seeing if anything improves. If it doesn't I may take this back and get a Note 4.

11 hrs with light use? That seems very strange considering I typically get 36hrs out of my G3 with light-moderate use. I would definitely consider a reset and install a battery monitoring app (I use GSam) to see if there are any unusual power draws.

The issue may be sprint id. This usually installs during activation but sometimes errors out and causes the issue you are seeing. You can do a factory reset which should fix the issue.

Noooooooo. That's what I was afraid of. Unfortunately, a stable root doesn't look like it'll happen soon, so I can't just find a .zip of the stock system and try to manually inject the APK into my /system/apps directory. I hate reinstalling all my apps, but I guess that's what it'll come to if this issue keeps happening.

Updated topic title since this thread seems to be serving as the user thread.

I was wondering when a user thread was going to be created. I simply posted here since the thread wasn't created yet, but it looks like this thread was updated. Thanks!

32gb, with free additional battery.

Sent from my M8

In his situation, it's a tough decision. Give everything back AND pay more for the Note 4 may be tough to swallow, for some people.

Not for me. I average 5.5+ hrs of screen time. I bought a 10,000mah ZL battery, now it's just sitting in a box. Factor in root, custom roms, and the almighty Spen. It's an easy decision for me.

After you pick up the Note 4, get the 64gb Samsung Pro sd card. You'll definitely be set.

Get the Note 4. You won't think what if.......

Sent from my SM-N910T

Edited by Houston_Texas

Updated topic title since this thread seems to be serving as the user thread.

Yes, all LG G4 discussion should remain in this thread -- it is barely to 200 posts.  Like it or not, there just is not widespread interest in this handset.  I wrote an authoritative FCC OET article on it, and after a month atop The Wall, the article still has not even generated 3000 views.

AJ

Noooooooo. That's what I was afraid of. Unfortunately, a stable root doesn't look like it'll happen soon, so I can't just find a .zip of the stock system and try to manually inject the APK into my /system/apps directory. I hate reinstalling all my apps, but I guess that's what it'll come to if this issue keeps happening.

So I went ahead and finally did a factory reset.

One of the first things it did after getting to the home screen was what is attached in the screenshot. Hopefully this is it. It does say "Sprint Default" on it, so I'm guessing this is what my phone was trying to do. Don't know why it errored out the first time.

Screenshot_2015-06-10-19-44-42.png

In his situation, it's a tough decision. Give everything back AND pay more for the Note 4 may be tough to swallow, for some people.

Not for me. I average 5.5+ hrs of screen time. I bought a 10,000mah ZL battery, now it's just sitting in a box. Factor in root, custom roms, and the almighty Spen. It's an easy decision for me.

After you pick up the Note 4, get the 64gb Samsung Pro sd card. You'll definitely be set.

Sent from my SM-N910T

True, but you miss out on the additional bands for the CCA roaming with the Note 4.  The G4 supports  additional bands.  I do think the Note 4 is a solid device otherwise.

• Like 2

Has anyone had any luck finding the official LG Wireless Charging Quick Circle case?  Sprint stores just carry the snap on circle case.  I've been to At and T and they have one, but it's for Powermat, not QI charging (apparently they use that as a standard across all their phones).  Verizon has it at a store across town, but I'm afraid it's going to have the logo splashed all over the back and be a wasted trip.  Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N910T

True, but you miss out on the additional bands for the CCA roaming with the Note 4.  The G4 supports  additional bands.  I do think the Note 4 is a solid device otherwise.

I already suffer from "What if". I actually did lease the Note 4 for about a week right before pre-orders started for the G4. I returned it because I wanted to try the G4. So I pre-ordered mine and went back to my old G2 until release day.  I immediately regretted giving back the Note 4. My old G2 just felt like a toy afterwards.  The G4 is a significant improvement over my old G2 and if I had never played with the Note 4 I probably would think it's a great phone and wouldn't think twice about keeping it.  But since I did...

I already suffer from "What if". I actually did lease the Note 4 for about a week right before pre-orders started for the G4. I returned it because I wanted to try the G4. So I pre-ordered mine and went back to my old G2 until release day. I immediately regretted giving back the Note 4. My old G2 just felt like a toy afterwards. The G4 is a significant improvement over my old G2 and if I had never played with the Note 4 I probably would think it's a great phone and wouldn't think twice about keeping it. But since I did...

-I already suffer from "What if".

-I immediately regretted giving back the Note 4.

Those two statements says it all.

Sent from my SM-N910T

• Like 1

These questions may have been asked before, so forgive me:  1) do debug screens work? 2) do data screens work with MSL code to change bands? 3) any issues with SCP, specifically neighbors? 

:thx:

-I already suffer from "What if".

-I immediately regretted giving back the Note 4.

Those two statements says it all.

Sent from my SM-N910T

Yup. And that's exactly why I returned the G4 this weekend. Friday was last straw. Battery was half dead after only 3 hours. And I barely got it to 11 hours by keeping it in my pocket all afternoon.  I got my note 4.  Battery life after 1 full day of use on Sunday has been stellar.  Approaching nearly 24 hours since I took it off the charger and still have about 15% left. 

The G4 was a beautiful device and felt great to hold but I couldn't live with having to tinker constantly to get a work days use out of it. Maybe a future software update will improve things, but I'm not interested in waiting for that.

• Like 1

Yup. And that's exactly why I returned the G4 this weekend. Friday was last straw. Battery was half dead after only 3 hours. And I barely got it to 11 hours by keeping it in my pocket all afternoon. I got my note 4. Battery life after 1 full day of use on Sunday has been stellar. Approaching nearly 24 hours since I took it off the charger and still have about 15% left.

The G4 was a beautiful device and felt great to hold but I couldn't live with having to tinker constantly to get a work days use out of it. Maybe a future software update will improve things, but I'm not interested in waiting for that.

Great decision. Welcome to the top floor ????

Sent from my SM-N910T

Man, LG I thought killed it with the G2 release in 2013.  The battery was 3,000 MAh, larger than everyone else and I thought the new back buttons setup was unique and quite well thought out.  Shame that LG seems to be getting bigger each year and lowering their battery performance.  Looks like they may need to revamp their design next year.  I haven't heard many people getting the G4...on any carrier.

Man, LG I thought killed it with the G2 release in 2013.  The battery was 3,000 MAh, larger than everyone else and I thought the new back buttons setup was unique and quite well thought out.  Shame that LG seems to be getting bigger each year and lowering their battery performance.  Looks like they may need to revamp their design next year.  I haven't heard many people getting the G4...on any carrier.

Honestly, the phone is a beautiful piece of hardware. I think it's problems were software related. The screen seemed to use up a lot of power when on. Then with the screen off the system software was just eating up the battery.  Nothing I did made any difference. I did factory resets twice to see if something I installed was culprit.

With some software engineering to get power consumption down, it would be a spectacular phone.  

Honestly, the phone is a beautiful piece of hardware. I think it's problems were software related. The screen seemed to use up a lot of power when on. Then with the screen off the system software was just eating up the battery. Nothing I did made any difference. I did factory resets twice to see if something I installed was culprit.

With some software engineering to get power consumption down, it would be a spectacular phone.

I was having issues with battery life on my G4 but they were caused by apps that I had installed. I installed Greenify and the battery drain problem went away. The cool thing about the LG operating system is Greenify doesn't require root because LG gives the option to add Greenify as a system service.

I was having issues with battery life on my G4 but they were caused by apps that I had installed. I installed Greenify and the battery drain problem went away. The cool thing about the LG operating system is Greenify doesn't require root because LG gives the option to add Greenify as a system service.

Greenify has worked without root for as long as I can remember, it just lacks some features if you don't have root access or use xposed framework.

Screens with more pixels than 1080p with battery performance issues? They said it wouldn't happen. Hah! :hah:

Using Nexus 6 on Tapatalk

Thought an app might have been cause so I factory reset a couple of times see if that fixed it.  Didn't make any difference. 

On a side note, it does annoy me that I would have to tweak the phone to get the battery to make it through a work day.  On a 2015 flagship phone you should only need to do that to get 24+ hours out a phone not just 10 or 11.  Oh, well. Like I said, maybe a future software update will improve things.  I just didn't have any interest in waiting.  

Screens with more pixels than 1080p with battery performance issues? They said it wouldn't happen. Hah! :hah:

Using Nexus 6 on Tapatalk

To be fair some phones handle it better than others. The Note 4 screen is same resolution but with much better battery performance. 

• Like 1

To be fair some phones handle it better than others. The Note 4 screen is same resolution but with much better battery performance.

And I contend it would be even better in 1080p. I'm just not a big proponent of higher resolution screens. I was happy with my 720p BB Z30. It looked better than most 1080p screens. And I was very happy with my Nexus 5 1080p screen. You can make a super high quality screen without more pixel density.

Super high resolution screens are just a waste of battery, processor resources and RAM in my humble opinion with little added benefit. And in case with someone with less than perfect vision like myself, there is no benefit. And in the case of streaming video it will be wasteful and usher in the death of unlimited data. Possibly even for wired data.

Using Tapatalk on Nexus 6

• Like 5