LG G4 User Thread (Was: Rumor Thread)

JThorson

So I tried to get my msl code and they won't let me cause I'm leasing the phone. So if there is anyone out there that is not leasing it and has the code would you please share. Thanks.

The MSL is unique to each device.

Sent from my Tab 4

So I tried to get my msl code and they won't let me cause I'm leasing the phone. So if there is anyone out there that is not leasing it and has the code would you please share. Thanks.

Check the play store

This one might work?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.esccode.msl

sent from an underwater dust storm from my Sprint S5

Just try again. As with most things it just depends on who you get on the other end. I was leasing a note 4 and got the MSL on the first try.
  • Like 1

Wow, this thread is quite slow.  Looks like the S6 grabbed a lot of LG's flagship customers this year.

Anyways, anyone care to chime in on their RF experiences?  

I think so, too.  I think LG waited too long after the S6 and M9 launch to release this phone.  That being said, it may be the gem of the bunch, as there are many reports of poor (or average, at best) RF performance in the S6 and M9 threads.  Maybe this will be a case of "good things come to those who wait."  I know I'm looking forward to it. 

• Like 2

I'm waiting for the phone to be released into stores around me, none of them have a working unit yet.  Then I plan to do a thorough comparison. I've about had it with my S5, the RAM management and the memory leaks keep killing my Bluetooth connection while running in the AM, incredibly frustrating experience. 

Only issue I have is whether to go with G4 or go with Note 4. I had Note 4 for about a week until pre-orders started for G4. So I went ahead and returned it.  No I want to get G4 in my hands and decide whether to keep it or go back to Note. 

I think so, too.  I think LG waited too long after the S6 and M9 launch to release this phone.  That being said, it may be the gem of the bunch, as there are many reports of poor (or average, at best) RF performance in the S6 and M9 threads.  Maybe this will be a case of "good things come to those who wait."  I know I'm looking forward to it. 

I'm honestly to the point where I think I'm just going to hold out for the Nexus.  As long as it's not 6" this time, we should be fine. 

Google always does a fantastic job at optimizing the baseband to use the antenna to its fullest potential.

EDIT: I ended up buying an HTC One M8 from Amazon Warehouse deals a few weeks back for $64.  It's in almost new condition and it's been running great.  I can definitely hold off until Sept/Oct to see what is in store for the next Nexus. 

EDIT2: I'm still interested in RF performance of the G4, given how many promotions there are that makes this phone tempting.

I'm honestly to the point where I think I'm just going to hold out for the Nexus.  As long as it's not 6" this time, we should be fine. 

Google always does a fantastic job at optimizing the baseband to use the antenna to its fullest potential.

EDIT: I ended up buying an HTC One M8 from Amazon Warehouse deals a few weeks back for $64.  It's in almost new condition and it's been running great.  I can definitely hold off until Sept/Oct to see what is in store for the next Nexus. 

Just had this same conversation with a friend today.  My hesitation is always: will the Nexus hardware be good enough to overcome the abysmal updates from OEMs?  On one hand, you've got instant updates to the latest OS and bug fixes with a Nexus device, but on the other, you ALWAYS compromise on hardware.  Sealed batteries, sub-par cameras and camera software, no SD card and often no storage options.  Plus the N6 is gigantic, but actually had carrier support and discounts.  If they're just going to seal up a G4, might be worth a look, but depends on what they do with that camera. The N5 was a different module than the G2 had at the time.

For anyone who's a fan of Zerolemon's cases with the high capacity batteries (i have one for my current Galaxy S4), I got confirmation that they're planning on releasing one for the G4.  No firm ETA yet but its coming.

• Like 1

Just had this same conversation with a friend today.  My hesitation is always: will the Nexus hardware be good enough to overcome the abysmal updates from OEMs?  On one hand, you've got instant updates to the latest OS and bug fixes with a Nexus device, but on the other, you ALWAYS compromise on hardware.  Sealed batteries, sub-par cameras and camera software, no SD card and often no storage options.  Plus the N6 is gigantic, but actually had carrier support and discounts.  If they're just going to seal up a G4, might be worth a look, but depends on what they do with that camera. The N5 was a different module than the G2 had at the time.

From what I've seen is that the Nexus phones always are behind in mainly one department.  Battery.  The rest of the competition isn't really that impressive in that regard, either.  If the battery matches that of my HTC One M8, I'll be satisfied (although I would appreciate more.)  Camera is another field, but the N6 actually has a decent camera this time.  Last thing that the Nexus series often forgets to include is SD card support.  However, with M coming, we may see SD support in even the Nexus!

Mainly, my next phone will be one that has great RF performance.  Also want RRP support.

• Like 1

EDIT2: I'm still interested in RF performance of the G4, given how many promotions there are that makes this phone tempting.

I'm with you on all of that.  And, nice find on the Amazon deal.. I would have jumped on that, too!  I'd love to hold out for the next Nexus.  This present one is just way to big.  The only problem is, I'm not so sure the Nexus 7 will be any smaller.  I sure hope it is, though.

I think many of us G3 owners are also skipping this upgrade cycle because it's not enough of an upgrade to justify paying out of pocket. I'm don't have an upgrade available until next year.

I'm with this guy.  My G3 is more than adequate until the next Nexus/Nexi come out.

just throwing this 2 cents in ;)

my brother isn't a tech/phone guy and he had the G3 on sprint, he upgraded to the G4 when he switched to verizon and he said the G4 is amazing and a lot better than the G3. screen battery life, camera, everything really he said is so much better.

• Like 2

I have had the G4 for 3 days now. I really love the phone coming from a Note 3. My only problem is I can't find out how to be on LTE while on a phone call, which is something I could do with my Note 3. Does anyone know of a way to change this? Can a software update fix this. I am assuming this is still possible as carriers and companies aren't in the business of taking features away. Help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I have had the G4 for 3 days now. I really love the phone coming from a Note 3. My only problem is I can't find out how to be on LTE while on a phone call, which is something I could do with my Note 3. Does anyone know of a way to change this? Can a software update fix this. I am assuming this is still possible as carriers and companies aren't in the business of taking features away. Help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Oh boy, I hope you're sitting down.  There is no way for the G4, or any modern Sprint "Spark" phone, to be on phone call and the internet at the same time.  It uses one path for data and phone call transmission.  That's just the way it is and will always be until VoLTE arrives to Sprint in some undetermined future timetable. 

• Like 2

Oh boy, I hope you're sitting down.  There is no way for the G4, or any modern Sprint "Spark" phone, to be on phone call and the internet at the same time.  It uses one path for data and phone call transmission.  That's just the way it is and will always be until VoLTE arrives to Sprint in some undetermined future timetable. 

Hmmn wish I would've know that. Its like we're going back to the past. Does Verizon have the same issue?