LG G4 User Thread (Was: Rumor Thread)

JThorson

I just installed that battery app. I'll need a refresher on Android before I start killing processes, because I'm not sure which are bad.

You could also just have a bad phone. I am an intensive phone user,  and it rarely drains at the rate you are experiencing. Exchange it before your 14 days expire if needed.

Do you miss anything at all from ios? Just asking

Sent from my SM-N910T

A few things, actually, and they're quite major: I miss having my notifications light up my lock screen. Lollipop shows the notifications on the lock screen, but doesn't light up the screen as they come in so I can see things hands-free while driving (I'm a trucker, and hands-free everything is a must). I miss Siri, but OK Google -- or whatever it's called -- works pretty much the same except, again, not lighting up the screen during voice commands (pressing the Bluetooth button gives me the voice, but the screen is off, and texts are blindly voice dictated). I disabled LG's garbage voice assistant so only Google voice activates. Lastly, I just miss how everything in iOS is tied together, whereas, everything in Android is separate, and requires a different app. I asked Google to remind me about something at a specific time, it entered it into whatever reminder feature Google uses, but never reminded me with a notification, or sound. What's up with that, Google?

If I could figure out a way to solve these issues, I could learn to love it. Also, the fact that it's nearly $400 less than what I planned on spending next month helps, too.

Sent from my LG G4

You could also just have a bad phone. I am an intensive phone user, and it rarely drains at the rate you are experiencing. Exchange it before your 14 days expire if needed.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a few days and see. Maybe it's just that new phone syndrome where the battery and OS need to "break in." Is that even a thing? Or is it simply a placebo effect.

Sent from my LG G4

A few things, actually, and they're quite major: I miss having my notifications light up my lock screen. Lollipop shows the notifications on the lock screen, but doesn't light up the screen as they come in so I can see things hands-free while driving (I'm a trucker, and hands-free everything is a must). I miss Siri, but OK Google -- or whatever it's called -- works pretty much the same except, again, not lighting up the screen during voice commands (pressing the Bluetooth button gives me the voice, but the screen is off, and texts are blindly voice dictated). I disabled LG's garbage voice assistant so only Google voice activates. Lastly, I just miss how everything in iOS is tied together, whereas, everything in Android is separate, and requires a different app. I asked Google to remind me about something at a specific time, it entered it into whatever reminder feature Google uses, but never reminded me with a notification, or sound. What's up with that, Google?

If I could figure out a way to solve these issues, I could learn to love it. Also, the fact that it's nearly $400 less than what I planned on spending next month helps, too.

Sent from my LG G4

I don't know of a way to get all notifications to light up the screen (frankly I wouldn't want that) but there are apps that will turn on the screen for texts alerts. In particular, I use Textra. The free version does have ads in it now unfortunately, but it's only 99¢ to get rid of them. I prefer it to the stock LG messenger. Allows you to use the full suite of iOS emoji as well.

I'm not sure what's up with reminders either. They show up in Google Now, but I haven't had any audible alerts either. I haven't looked into it though.

Sent from my LG G4

• Like 1

Sent from my LG G4

I recommend getting the LG Tone bluetooth headphones. Will read notifications out to you. You can select which apps too.

Really great product.

Sent from my SM-N910T

Thanks to Samsung borking my S5 and the S6 copying the worst "features" of the iPhone I have officially joined the ranks of the G4 users. So far I'm liking it, but it will take a little getting used to. I do really wish they had kept the screen at 5" 1080p and just let a separate model fill the role of 1440p phablet. Built in wireless charging would have been nice as well, I'm not willing to sacrifice the removable battery and memory card slot to get it though.

By worst features do you mean glass back and embedded battery? Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By worst features do you mean glass back and embedded battery? Just curious.

Those, plus no expandable memory, and a high, memory-based pricing structure. It's basically an iPhone running lollipop.

Sent from my iPhone 6

Those, plus no expandable memory, and a high, memory-based pricing structure. It's basically an iPhone running lollipop.

Sent from my iPhone 6

I am OK with the embedded battery myself and I liked the GS6 design, that said, I'm an iPhone snob who doesn't really care about expandable memory or removable batteries. I don't know if Samsung was listening to their core customers.

I am OK with the embedded battery myself and I liked the GS6 design, that said, I'm an iPhone snob who doesn't really care about expandable memory or removable batteries. I don't know if Samsung was listening to their core customers.

They pissed off a lot of the Galaxy faithful. I don't have their sales numbers, but based on every social media post about the S6, not many were willing to upgrade their S5.

Sent from my iPhone 6

• Like 1

They pissed off a lot of the Galaxy faithful. I don't have their sales numbers, but based on every social media post about the S6, not many were willing to upgrade their S5.

Sent from my iPhone 6

Plus they are not getting positive comments from those considering the Note 5. That should be kept as a premium handset with business features including removable battery.

I can see them making the S6 iPhone like, but not the Note.

Did Samsung forget about its wall hugger commercial?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Plus they are not getting positive comments from those considering the Note 5. That should be kept as a premium handset with business features including removable battery.

I can see them making the S6 iPhone like, but not the Note.

Did Samsung forget about its wall hugger commercial?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

To be fair, that commercial was used to prop up wireless charging, not removable batteries.

Sent from my SM-N910T

To be fair, that commercial was used to prop up wireless charging, not removable batteries.

Sent from my SM-N910T

That commercial was for power saving mode and removable batteries.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Got the G4 Tuesday evening (dropped my G2 on concrete), rooted it on Wednesday evening, and have been getting it set up to my liking ever since. A little on the large side for my taste, but otherwise I'm loving this phone. Seems to have slightly better RF performance, much better GPS performance, and noticeably better sound and screen quality. Gonna go wash the butter off of my fingers so I don't drop this one, too. :)

• Like 1

It's not for sale yet, but ZeroLemon has a page up now for its extended battery (8500mAh) protection case for the G4:

http://zerolemon.com/product/lg-g4-extended-battery-zerolemon-lg-g4-8500mah-extended-battery-black-tpu-full-edge-protection-case-fits-all-versions-of-lg-g4-180-days-zerolemon-warranty/

• Like 1

It's not for sale yet, but ZeroLemon has a page up now for its extended battery (8500mAh) protection case for the G4:

I always had you pegged as more of a Lululemon guy.

8195160.jpg

AJ

• Like 1

I am having issues with delays in traffic on the spark network. Everytime i click on something that requires online data the spark icon just sits there without turning and then maybe 3 seconds later - 4 seconds it starts turning and there is a big time delay. What would cause the spark icon to not even spin when accessing online content?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

ZV6 update is on the device.sprintpcs.com page for the G4. Still running on the 5.1 Lollipop. Guessing it might be a patch for the Stagefright bug.

http://device.sprintpcs.com/LG/LS991-SPRINT/latest

• Like 2

Has anyone actually gotten this update since it hit the Sprint Page yesterday?