LG G4 User Thread (Was: Rumor Thread)

JThorson

I got the ZV5 update last night. Anyone know what has changed? Notice a difference?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

It lists that the ability to lock down your phone in case of theft has been improved (see above for exact wording).

What keyboard is everyone using? I'm using the lg one. I miss the installed swype on the g3.I installed it but it just wasn't the same. Hows everyone's battery life?

I use the Google keyboard. Don't really like the LG one.

Battery life is great. Generally get 25-35hrs on a charge. 

• Like 2

I use the Google keyboard. Don't really like the LG one.

Battery life is great. Generally get 25-35hrs on a charge.

Holy crap. Mine was dead after nine hours with some Pandora and spotify going for maybe an hour total. I will try the Google one. Do you like the rf performance so far compared to the g3?

Holy crap. Mine was dead after nine hours with some Pandora and spotify going for maybe an hour total. I will try the Google one. Do you like the rf performance so far compared to the g3?

Definitely have seen equal or slightly improved RF over the G3.

• Like 1

that's awesome. Are you using wifi more than lte? You on the internet allot? I don't have allot running but some how battery dies quick

I spend 80% of the day at work and home, which is on WiFi. Only at the gym or driving or at the store am I not on WiFi. I get/send a lot of messages through the day, but I don't spend a lot of time browsing my phone since I have at least 3 computers in front of me through most of the day.

I spend 80% of the day at work and home, which is on WiFi. Only at the gym or driving or at the store am I not on WiFi. I get/send a lot of messages through the day, but I don't spend a lot of time browsing my phone since I have at least 3 computers in front of me through most of the day.

interesting cause I'm home using wifi and wifi calling and where I moved from being on lte battery lasted longer. I think I have a bad phone

What keyboard is everyone using? I'm using the lg one. I miss the installed swype on the g3.I installed it but it just wasn't the same. Hows everyone's battery life?

I also use the Google Keyboard (as well as the Google Now Launcher) as I personally like Google's look and feel since I came from a Nexus 5.

My battery life is pretty good. On a good day where I'm home all day, I can manage 4-5 hours of screen on time, which is great for me as I typically only use my phone less than 2 hours a day. At work where my signal isn't the greatest, I can turn off wifi and data sync and I'm currently sitting at 85% battery life at 4:43 PM (got to work at 10 AM), which is also great for me as my Nexus 5 would be sitting at 70% or less at this point in the day.

I might send phone to lg. But I need a phone while they check it out. My girlfriend has a note 2 on Verizon. Do any of you know how to unlock or just point me in the right direction to find it. Besides using Google. Ha-ha

...but I don't spend a lot of time browsing my phone since I have at least 3 computers in front of me through most of the day.

I happen to have an archival photo of David's workspace:

news-090313a-lg.jpg

:P

AJ

• Like 2

By the way, I found this on XDA regarding the ZV5 update (which I got last night):

Thank you for contacting LG Electronics.

In response to this inquiry, the LS991ZV5 software version includes the following enhancements/fixes:
1.Fix for Google Factory Reset Protection issue that does not allow user to bypass Wi-Fi selection.*
2.LG has also implemented a touch screen enhancement into the software

In addition to the previous response, please be advised that the phased deployment of the update started last july 1, 2015 and will be complete by July 9, 2015 through Sprint’s network. It is normal to not be able to update as this is done in batches.*

#1 is probably the "Reactivation Lock Updates" I quoted from the Sprint site last time.

#2 is welcoming since I definitely experienced the missed touches and other touch screen mishaps with my phone. Hopefully it's completely fixed.

By the way, I found this on XDA regarding the ZV5 update (which I got last night):

#1 is probably the "Reactivation Lock Updates" I quoted from the Sprint site last time.

#2 is welcoming since I definitely experienced the missed touches and other touch screen mishaps with my phone. Hopefully it's completely fixed.

Is that why swiping on the keyboard would sometimes produce really weird words, as if I was lifting my finger up?

Is that why swiping on the keyboard would sometimes produce really weird words, as if I was lifting my finger up?

Yea. This is a pretty big well known issue, but many G4 owners have been experiencing missed taps, detecting a tap instead of a swipe, and other issues with touchscreen sensitivity. It's supposedly a software issue, and they supposedly fixed something with this update. I've been OK so far, crossing my fingers.

interesting cause I'm home using wifi and wifi calling and where I moved from being on lte battery lasted longer. I think I have a bad phone

At the gym for 1 1/2 hours listening to Spotify the whole time, on 3G, used 10%. 

• Like 1

The latest system update does not appear to affect other special functions.

Back to battery life, it seems like my phone took a hit with the latest update. Before the update, my phone would sleep no problem. The past couple of days, my phone seems to be draining significantly in the background. I haven't installed any battery monitor apps yet to look at what is causing this, but the stock battery stats show Google Services and Android OS as my top two battery users now instead of my screen. I literally have a screen on time of 34m and my phone is at 61% battery life left. Android OS in particular has a 1h 11m wakelock on my phone. That's ridiculous. I even rebooted between yesterday and today, and it seems like the same thing is happening today.

Back to battery life, it seems like my phone took a hit with the latest update. Before the update, my phone would sleep no problem. The past couple of days, my phone seems to be draining significantly in the background. I haven't installed any battery monitor apps yet to look at what is causing this, but the stock battery stats show Google Services and Android OS as my top two battery users now instead of my screen. I literally have a screen on time of 34m and my phone is at 61% battery life left. Android OS in particular has a 1h 11m wakelock on my phone. That's ridiculous. I even rebooted between yesterday and today, and it seems like the same thing is happening today.

Ran the update a couple days ago. Seems ok to me. 

2015-07-10%2022.57.49.png

• Like 1

I think i know what the main difference is. Two days ago, I read on XDA that you can get your MSL through the Basic Flasher utility they had for the LG G2. I tried it and got my MSL, but after running basic flasher, it disconnected my phone from the Sprint network. I rebooted the phone and it was able to connect to Sprint's network again, so I didn't think anything was wrong. I'm guessing something it did messed my phone up, since my battery has been abnormally draining ever since then. I'm trying the ##72786# reset network trick and hopefully that fixes it. I hope I didn't mess up something permanent.

I think i know what the main difference is. Two days ago, I read on XDA that you can get your MSL through the Basic Flasher utility they had for the LG G2. I tried it and got my MSL, but after running basic flasher, it disconnected my phone from the Sprint network. I rebooted the phone and it was able to connect to Sprint's network again, so I didn't think anything was wrong. I'm guessing something it did messed my phone up, since my battery has been abnormally draining ever since then. I'm trying the ##72786# reset network trick and hopefully that fixes it. I hope I didn't mess up something permanent.

Still looks like Android System is causing a huge wakelock. Don't know what the heck is happening.

I did notice that within Android System, there's a service called IPSec Service. It looks related to VPN and other "security" services. The company I work at decided to change security policies and we now have 2 factor authentication in order to remote desktop into our work machines. I had to download a Symantec VIP Access app. They allow a push notification to be pushed onto the phone when trying to login through VPN, instead of typing the number down. Uninstalling the app is pretty much not an option, so I disabled the push notifications for that app. Hopefully it helps this time...

• Like 1

I'll be heading to Louisiana / and staying 5 days in McComb, MS tomorrow (Monday). Tomorrow night, in Slidell, I know I'll have great service on LTE...it's McComb I'm worried about -all C-Spire area. From what I can tell, McComb looks almost like Sylacauga, AL....3 towers with LTE, with exception of McComb having green versus the yellow in Sylacauga.

In hoping to find that LTE reaches around Lloyd Hamilton rd, since I'll spend all week there. I wish there was LTE roaming on C-Spire...but maybe next trip. Curious to see how well the G4 works there, as here I'm seeing better RF...LTE in places my G3 didn't pick up..

• Like 1