LG G4 User Thread (Was: Rumor Thread)

JThorson

So far, only the international EU version of the LG G4 (model H815) even has the ability to unlock the bootloader, which is the first step to gaining root. They also have TWRP support for their version of the phone as well, so they can just flash supersu and they have root already. Nobody else is close, as LG only officially released the method to unlock the bootloader for the EU international version.

Read here:

http://www.xda-developers.com/no-root-is-not-coming-to-the-lg-g4-just-yet/

There is a bounty thread on XDA for finding a safe method for unlocking and rooting the Verizon/AT&T variants since those are usually the two hardest versions to achieve full bootloader unlock and root. Them (AT&T/Verizon) getting it may also mean us (Sprint) getting it since they should be similar, if not easier on Sprint's side. If you want to donate money or help out yourself, or even if you just want to track the status of it, the XDA thread is here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/g4/general/bounty-root-method-exploit-bootloader-t3130989

Yeah, I have been following that thread daily.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

bcc7c3fd63e1316b071f00a8f568c7e1.jpgSo my rf performance seems to have gone down. This test was done inside my work which is Costco so we all know how they are built, but my tower it's in my parking lot. My g3 would stay on band 41 but this phone likes band 25. I also have changed band priority. Band 41, 26 and then 25.

Oh and right now my signal is-112 to -115 on Band41.

So any thoughts?

bcc7c3fd63e1316b071f00a8f568c7e1.jpgSo my rf performance seems to have gone down. This test was done inside my work which is Costco so we all know how they are built, but my tower it's in my parking lot. My g3 would stay on band 41 but this phone likes band 25. I also have changed band priority. Band 41, 26 and then 25.

Oh and right now my signal is-112 to -115 on Band41.

So any thoughts?

Not sure what to tell you. My G4 seems to be besting the G3 by 3-5dBm most of the time.

Sent from my LG G4

• Like 1

gotcha.

You know what antennas are what on the back of the phone?

AJ's article should detail that. It's on the wall.

Nope, no antenna diagram.  Some FCC OET authorization filings still publicly disclose them, but most hide behind a permanent shroud of trade secret confidentiality now.  That has been a change over the last few years.

AJ

Nope, no antenna diagram. Some FCC OET authorization filings still publicly disclose them, but most hide behind a permanent shroud of trade secret confidentiality now. That has been a change over the last few years.

AJ

Darn.

Sent from my LG G4

I discovered a problem with the leather backing on the LG G4. I was having problems with signal especially B41. In places where my S6 would get great B41 signal strength, the G4 was failing miserably a good 10 to 15 dBm difference between the two. And therefore data speeds were also significantly lower. So I decided to remove the back cover and just place my regular case, and it's been day and night, the signal is actually better than my S6. Just thought I'd share this, just in case anyone is having similar issues. I'm assuming some issues with the wireless charging leather cover. I'll know for sure once I replace it with a regular cover.

• Like 2

I discovered a problem with the leather backing on the LG G4. I was having problems with signal especially B41. In places where my S6 would get great B41 signal strength, the G4 was failing miserably a good 10 to 15 dBm difference between the two. And therefore data speeds were also significantly lower. So I decided to remove the back cover and just place my regular case, and it's been day and night, the signal is actually better than my S6. Just thought I'd share this, just in case anyone is having similar issues. I'm assuming some issues with the wireless charging leather cover. I'll know for sure once I replace it with a regular cover.

Very interesting. I would not have thought the backing would make that much difference. Glad I didn't get a leather one ha. Let us know what you find!

• Like 1

Very interesting. I would not have thought the backing would make that much difference. Glad I didn't get a leather one ha. Let us know what you find!

I might find a way to get the regular cover and see what happens, so far at home it's making a big difference

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I might find a way to get the regular cover and see what happens, so far at home it's making a big difference

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

There's something just not quite right about some LG phones. My Sprint LG G3 works well. My AT&T LG G3 is awful. I can attenuate The signal by as much as 6 dBm just by putting a clear silicone case on it. At first I thought that possibly the case had some sort of metal in it that was acting like a Faraday cage. I tried multiple brands of cases and they all attenuate the signal. Never did figure that out.

I have the international LG G4 H815 with a brown leather back which I am using on AT&T. I do not see any signal attenuation with the leather back in place. I also tried some silicone cases on the H815 with no signal attenuation either.

This is a very strange phenomenon. I know exactly what you are talking about as I too have witnessed this.

• Like 1

There's something just not quite right about some LG phones. My Sprint LG G3 works well. My AT&T LG G3 is awful. I can attenuate The signal by as much as 6 dBm just by putting a clear silicone case on it. At first I thought that possibly the case had some sort of metal in it that was acting like a Faraday cage. I tried multiple brands of cases and they all attenuate the signal. Never did figure that out.

I have the international LG G4 H815 with a brown leather back which I am using on AT&T. I do not see any signal attenuation with the leather back in place. I also tried some silicone cases on the H815 with no signal attenuation either.

This is a very strange phenomenon. I know exactly what you are talking about as I too have witnessed this.

It's mind blowing if you ask me, aside from disappointing

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Those darn covers aren't cheap either, I'm better off paying the 35.00 restocking fee for another phone lol

My G4 continues to best my G3 by 3-5dBm, at least on B26. I got the blue best buy version.

Since I have a G3 and G4 on AT&T, I can also say that my international H815 leather backed G4 gets much better LTE reception than my G3 (the blue version from Best Buy)

My Sprint G3 works very well.

Those darn covers aren't cheap either, I'm better off paying the 35.00 restocking fee for another phone lol

I feel for you. Those backs ARE very expensive. I got a spare brown leather back for my G4 on ebay from Korea. It cost me over $70 when they first came out.

I'm sure if you contacted LG about this phenomenon, they'd flatly deny all charges. "You're the only person experiencing this, we never heard this before etc, etc, ... "

Very frustrating when you pay good money for your device.

• Like 1

It appears the international G4 H815 really tops all the carrier branded G4's. I'm getting 6 plus hours screen on time and 2 days between recharges. This thing is a beast. I like my screen on torch mode as well. I use YAAB auto brightness app and have the minimum brightness set to 60%

report in xda of new sprint g4 over the air update yesterday  - LG said it was bug fixes.

Well, put me down as g4 user. Order is processing so I'll likely not have it before 4th, but it's on the way. I guess i need to wait until i actually activate the device before going to try the promo stuff?

Am i understanding correctly that since i opted for the metallic back, i also get a leather back, battery,charger and sd card once it arrives? Or do you only get the leather if you choose a leather device to begin with?

Well, put me down as g4 user. Order is processing so I'll likely not have it before 4th, but it's on the way. I guess i need to wait until i actually activate the device before going to try the promo stuff?

Am i understanding correctly that since i opted for the metallic back, i also get a leather back, battery,charger and sd card once it arrives? Or do you only get the leather if you choose a leather device to begin with?

You have to go to the LG promotion website to register your purchase. LG sends you the extras.

http://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/g4/cover-promo?cmpid=lgg4leathercoverpromo.comURL

I don't think you get the micro SD card anymore unless I missed it in the new promo details. And yes, activate your device first. They'll need your IMEI or ESN or whatever number they asked for (at least for the June Promo), so I think they might actually check if it's an activated device.

• Like 1

report in xda of new sprint g4 over the air update yesterday  - LG said it was bug fixes.

Sprint's website shows an update on July 1st, version ZV5.

The site shows the update is for "Reactivation Lock updates," whatever that means.

http://support.sprint.com/support/article/Find-and-update-the-software-version-on-your-LG-G4/WRNServiceAdvisory_542_GKB86631-dvc8970002prd#!/

I tried manually looking for the update, but it doesn't show up for me yet. Should be rolling out in waves as usual.

• Like 1

I don't think you get the micro SD card anymore unless I missed it in the new promo details. And yes, activate your device first. They'll need your IMEI or ESN or whatever number they asked for (at least for the June Promo), so I think they might actually check if it's an activated device.

I would rather have the leather back. You can pick up a 32 gb micro card on Amazon for less than 20 bucks.

So the international version could be used on Sprint? Probably no WiFi calling though

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

The international version (H815) will only work on GSM networks. Sprint is CDMA.