Samsung Galaxy S6 Preview Thread (was "Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge pre-order page up.")

twospirits

A "pleasant experience" is an ambiguous term. It has variable meanings to different people at different times, present and future.

Also, the unlocked handset street tends to be one way -- away from Sprint. A Sprint handset may provide a "pleasant experience" for some on other operators. But another operator's handset generally provides a zero experience or notably compromised experience on Sprint.

AJ

That is why we as consumers need to back the FCCs efforts in mandating that all handsets be capable of supporting a set minimum amount of bands from each domestic carrier. It is then that we would finally have a "free market" in the wireless industry.

The pace Apple is implementing bands, they may well have 30 or bands on the next iPhone model. That said, I think the carriers all have aggressive trade-in programs at this point. Why not just trade in the old T-Mobile model if you're moving to Sprint, or vice versa? If I were moving from one carrier to the other, I'd just go ahead and get a new handset intended for the carrier I want to move to. A good resale market exists as well. You can get some value back out of a top end Android or iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Incorrect. Band 12 devices are supported on AT&T on band 17 since AT&T started using MFBI.

Band 12/17 MFBI is the plan, but has AT&T actually implemented it yet?

AJ

Band 12/17 MFBI is the plan, but has AT&T actually implemented it yet?

AJ

Not only has AT&T begun implementing it, but they will soon start selling band 12 devices themselves as part of their lower 700 band interoperability agreement with the FCC. AT&T's GS6 is actually a band 12 device!

I suppose with these new devices it will even be technically possible for Sprint to roam on AT&T or TMO LTE, especially if they can implement some kind of VoLTE with these carriers.

Edited by GoWireless

That is why we as consumers need to back the FCCs efforts in mandating that all handsets be capable of supporting a set minimum amount of bands from each domestic carrier. It is then that we would finally have a "free market" in the wireless industry.

Yes, that is a nice idea, one that I fantasize about, but it is a pipe dream.  Neither the FCC nor the FTC would ever be able to get all domestic handsets to support a "set minimum" of GSM, W-CDMA, CDMA2000, and LTE modes/bands.  Simply defining that "set minimum" would be a firestorm.

And, as Robert and I point out, the "set minimum" is increasingly all bands and capabilities -- if you want a "pleasant experience."

AJ

Not only has AT&T begun implementing it, but they will soon start selling band 12 devices themselves as part of their lower 700 band interoperability agreement with the FCC. AT&T's GS6 is actually a band 12 device!

Please be careful with your assertions.  "Band 12 devices are supported on AT&T on band 17 since AT&T started using MFBI" implies that AT&T has band 12/17 MFBI everywhere.  The deed is done.  But "begun implementing" suggests that the rollout of MFBI is still in process.  Unless you are willing to stake your name that a band 12 device can operate fully on AT&T now, you should qualify your claim.

AJ

A minimum amount of bands? Verizon's Upper 700 C band 13, overburdened in most markets; AT&T's Lower 700 band 17, overburdened in most markets, Sprint's Extended PCS band 25, overburdened in many markets, and T-Mobile's AWS band 4, starting to slow down in a number of markets.

Wow, that looks very counter intuitive to me.

Sprint has 3 LTE bands it's deploying on, AT&T, 4 or 5, Verizon, 4, and T-Mobile, 3, and working on a 4th with LAA.

For truly universal devices, there would have to be 10 or more LTE bands per device, for just the U.S. market, not counting international roaming.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk 3.1.1

Please be careful with your assertions.  "Band 12 devices are supported on AT&T on band 17 since AT&T started using MFBI" implies that AT&T has band 12/17 MFBI everywhere.  The deed is done.  But "begun implementing" suggests that the rollout of MFBI is still in process.  Unless you are willing to stake your name that a band 12 device can operate fully on AT&T now, you should qualify your claim.

AJ

OK, you're right, they are still deploying but they are moving very fast. I talked to someone a couple weeks back who said it's already deployed in many places all over the country and they are moving quickly. They are also turning it on independent of their VoLTE rollout. The quicker they can get it turned on the quicker they can accept band 12 devices from other providers on their network.

A minimum amount of bands? Verizon's Upper 700 C band 13, overburdened in most markets; AT&T's Lower 700 band 17, overburdened in most markets, Sprint's Extended PCS band 25, overburdened in many markets, and T-Mobile's AWS band 4, starting to slow down in a number of markets.

Wow, that looks very counter intuitive to me.

Sprint has 3 LTE bands it's deploying on, AT&T, 4 or 5, Verizon, 4, and T-Mobile, 3, and working on a 4th with LAA.

For truly universal devices, there would have to be 10 or more LTE bands per device, for just the U.S. market, not counting international roaming.

The new Intel XMM 7360 LTE modem is LTE category 10, supports five different transmission modes, and supports 29 LTE frequency bands. That is what I'm talking about.

The new Intel XMM 7360 LTE modem is LTE category 10, supports five different transmission modes, and supports 29 LTE frequency bands. That is what I'm talking about.

One, that's not a minimum, and two, how many devices have adopted Intel chipsets? Very few, and I don't expect the market to change much over the next few years, especially on the CDMA front.

Despite this lengthy discussion on LTE bands for carriers, I'd like to know what the antenna strength or RF performance of the S6 will be for Sprint. Samsung's RF has been worse on the last few handsets than the rest of the field, maybe this new design will help them?  I assume these data are not available yet? 

I am anxiously awaiting the actual review units as the launch draws closer.  I just can't believe that they put such a small battery in a sealed up phone, BUT I will wait and see what the reviewers say.  I'm pretty disappointed that the IP67 did not transfer through to the S6 from the S5.  I thought they were starting a trend.  I don't care so much about the SD card loss as long as Sprint offers the larger versions of the phone and doesn't pick the lowest common denominator with 32GB (ala, Nexus 6).

That said, I'm still open to the idea of owning an S6, I have one upgrade remaining and it'll have to hold me for 2 years.......and through the new Sprint network tech (CA, etc.) coming online.

I am extremely interested in the camera and that LoopPay integration.  I think that Apple really missed the boat on LoopPay considering Magstrip swipes will be around for a while despite the move towards pin/chip cards in the future. 

Pricing has been announced for the US. Looks like the claims that moving away from a subsidized model would push pricing down was incorrect. I'm not at all surprised, just disappointed.

We’re looking at unsubsidized price points of $699, $799 and $899 respectively for the 32GB, 64GB and 128GB Galaxy S6 models.

Samsung’s Galaxy S6 edge models could cost even more money.

Of note, these prices would make the Galaxy S6 even more expensive than Apple’s iPhone 6, which starts at $649 for the 16GB model and tops out at $849 for the 128GB version. Samsung’s entry-level Galaxy S6 does ship with twice the storage as the entry-level iPhone, but that’s still quite a premium.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/leak-finally-reveals-galaxy-s6-price-more-expensive-145050518.html

European pricing suggests the top line edge model will be over $1,000

Pricing has been announced for the US. Looks like the claims that moving away from a subsidized model would push pricing down was incorrect. I'm not at all surprised, just disappointed.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/leak-finally-reveals-galaxy-s6-price-more-expensive-145050518.html

European pricing suggests the top line edge model will be over $1,000

Number one...we still have a subsidized model in the U.S. Very few consumers buy flagship devices at full price. Nothing has changed on that front.

Number two...these are more expensive models than Samsung has produced in the past. Not surprised they are more expensive.

Number three...part of the equation for subsidies isn't so much that flagship devices go down, but that many people realize they actually can't afford flagship devices and end up buying mid range devices. It is only after that happens and flagship device sales fall that there is pressure to lower prices on flagship devices.

Right now, OEM's have not experienced anything from the market that would get them to consider lowering prices.

Using Moto X² on Tapatalk

• Like 2

Well, if these S6s perform worse than the S5 for RF, then folks should be wary. Especially those of us in fringe markets with wide open spaces/hills between towers. Dislike very much now.

sent from an underwater dust storm from my Sprint S5

• Like 1

yeah sucks its not waterproof especially since wireless charging is now standard. i kinda with the edge was waterproof and had an sd card so that at least your paying something for the premium.

I am anxiously awaiting the actual review units as the launch draws closer.  I just can't believe that they put such a small battery in a sealed up phone, BUT I will wait and see what the reviewers say.  I'm pretty disappointed that the IP67 did not transfer through to the S6 from the S5.  I thought they were starting a trend.  I don't care so much about the SD card loss as long as Sprint offers the larger versions of the phone and doesn't pick the lowest common denominator with 32GB (ala, Nexus 6).

I am extremely interested in the camera and that LoopPay integration.  I think that Apple really missed the boat on LoopPay considering Magstrip swipes will be around for a while despite the move towards pin/chip cards in the future. 

You don't need to understand German to interpret this...

Yet I wouldn't be surprised if in terms of responsiveness, the M9 were the faster device. Samsung has apparently really pared back the UI in the S6 so I am excited to see how much better Touchwiz is now.

Yet I wouldn't be surprised if in terms of responsiveness, the M9 were the faster device. Samsung has apparently really pared back the UI in the S6 so I am excited to see how much better Touchwiz is now.

Right off the bat you can tell the GS6 has faster I/O. If they stick to the Exynos CPU, expect it to blow the M9 away in real world performance.