Google announces Project Fi: Partners with Sprint and T-Mobile for Network Access (previous title: Google to start it's own Wireless Service; using T-Mobile/Sprint for it's Network Footprint.)

IamMrFamous07

Why would you care if you have that at home? 

Maybe he wants to be able to helicopter that E-peen around. Everyone knows the bigger it is the better lift you get. B)  

• Like 2

Ocala is 20x20. T-Mobile is spectrum rich in most of Florida as it is a former MetroPCS market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My tower was 15x15 three weeks ago. Now it is  20x20 + 700 5x5 and still has room for a 10x10 PCS but even all of that does not quiet stack up to 3 band 41 5x5 1900 and 5x5 800.

Looks like it for sure. Is that on 20x20 AWS or 15x15?

I don't know how. I'm right in the middle of the SW part of the city. This never happens on any other carrier in this part of town. Tmobile just got its first store a month ago in the Mall where all the others have stores left and right. There are plenty of metro stores though.

Okay so a few impressions on project fi. WiFi calls will basically only work if there is practically no cellular service. It prefers cellular and uses WiFi as a backup but it will hold the call when you switch seamlessly which is great. To use encrypted WiFi you need to be on a open WiFi network that you don't have in saved networks. Any saved network will not work. Something odd is I have witnessed Sprint switch to T-Mobile 3 times but it will never switch back to Sprint even in a T-Mobile dead zone. I had to force it to switch to Sprint even though Sprint had coverage and T-Mobile didn't. Switching from T-Mobile to Sprint manually using the codes takes longer than switching from T-Mobile to Sprint. The customer support is fantastic and ridiculously fast. It reminds me of amazons without the video chat. The app is very useful being able to pause or cancel service at the push of a button and getting up to date notices of how much data you use and how much extra you will have to pay should you go over your data. I used 1gb in one day but only because of the intense testing I was doing. It's a great service with a few bugs to work out when it comes to network switching but not having to switch sim cards to change networks has been nothing short of a dream come true. I will report more after further testing.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 7

Wow

That's useful

Rolls eyes

I think the speed test Terrell posted was very useful. It shows in real world usage what a user can get in speed on 20x20 AWS LTE.

It also shows that while the 15x15 AWS LTE gets better speeds than 10x10 AWS LTE, such as what Chicago was upgraded (though the speeds seem to be slowing a bit), that 20x20 AWS LTE is that much better than 15x15 AWS LTE.

Even though Terrell lives in a different market than I do, his experience shows what this difference in spectrum provides in real world and helps me to understand how T-Mobile either needs more AWS spectrum here to increase its 15x15 wideband AWS LTE to 20x20 wideband AWS LTE, or to do something with its PCS spectrum here, giving more of it to LTE.

• Like 1

I think the speed test Terrell posted was very useful. It shows in real world usage what a user can get in speed on 20x20 AWS LTE.

It also shows that while the 15x15 AWS LTE gets better speeds than 10x10 AWS LTE, such as what Chicago was upgraded (though the speeds seem to be slowing a bit), that 20x20 AWS LTE is that much better than 15x15 AWS LTE.

Even though Terrell lives in a different market than I do, his experience shows what this difference in spectrum provides in real world and helps me to understand how T-Mobile either needs more AWS spectrum here to increase its 15x15 wideband AWS LTE to 20x20 wideband AWS LTE, or to do something with its PCS spectrum here, giving more of it to LTE.

The minute I get a sprint speed test this big the e peen will be huge and no one will complain about it. Hell even Marcelo is in the e peen contest now. If you can't beat em join em. If I'm experiencing above average or even crazy data speeds I'm going to let everyone know no matter which carrier I'm on because it gives them a real world look that what that spectrum is capable of. Arysyn understands the hype of such progress.

• Like 1

How are most common users able to tell how fast their network is? Do most even care about 100 Mbps on a smartphone? I sure haven't seen the real world evidence of it outside of the Magentans. Verizon's network is similarly fast and yet they advertise reliability first. Also in call and text reliability Sprint post-Network Vision often rank higher in many markets over T-Mobile. Out in the real world, people still call and text.

Now I can hear the protestations of "but data use is the future and that's what people judge network performance on now!" Sure, but that doesn't mean people are able to tell what the exact speed on the network is. Ericsson has a good term for what users actually experience, app coverage.

http://www.ericsson.com/res/docs/whitepapers/wp-app-coverage.pdf

In other words, there have to be more zones where throughput is consistent. If you get 100 Mbps on one part of the block and get 2 Mbps on another, what good is that? Yet, that would be a faster average on Ookla than a carrier that gets 20 Mbps everywhere. See the problems with speed testing? It also doesn't account for the areas with no coverage. App coverage would account for all the factors I mentioned and yet not ignore throughput.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

The minute I get a sprint speed test this big the e peen will be huge and no one will complain about it. Hell even Marcelo is in the e peen contest now. If you can't beat em join em. If I'm experiencing above average or even crazy data speeds I'm going to let everyone know no matter which carrier I'm on because it gives them a real world look that what that spectrum is capable of. Arysyn understands the hype of such progress.

Everyone keeps talking about e peens. What does that even mean

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I definitely agree with Terrell on this issue, but I also agree with Fraydog's point too.

Personally, I really don't like the referral of speed test excitement to this "peen" terminology. Nor do I think there really needs to be any sort of division between speed and reliability. Both factors are important. Now I'll agree that with most things, it doesn't matter on usability of data at 30mbps or 100mbps, again with most things. Yet, there are uses, and I'm not talking about T.O.S. violating uses, where every bit of extra speed helps.

Although more importantly, these speed tests help gauge the power a network and its spectrum has in delivering its services very well. However along with that, the importance of reliability in how many places you can continue to get those fast speeds are equally as important in the density of the network. I'd agree that it is important to get useable speeds in more places, then the faster speeds as an extra perk to that, but certainly not something to be criticized just because while that perk is available for one person, it may not be for another.

I'm not accusing anyone here of this, but I can imagine some people getting bad speeds on their network usage, might take Terrell's post the wrong way and think its bad he's getting that speed. The way it really is though, is that it's bad they're not getting useable speeds to begin with, and if they are in an area financially feasible enough for carriers to invest in, they probably ought to be getting those speed perks too.

I'm certainly not getting the speeds on T-Mobile as Terrell is. Yet, I am getting for the most part very useable speeds with it. However, I'm not upset at all with his results, or that mine are slower than his. Instead, I look at it as what to expect when the carriers upgrade their networks here where I am, particularly T-Mobile in this case. I think carriers ought to strive for both reliability and speed, embracing them both as important factors in the overall user experience.

It is a term I really despise. I think it is used as a reference to the sexual suggestion "bigger is better". In the case of wireless data speed, e-peen is " faster is better".

It is a term I really despise. I think it is used as a reference to the sexual suggestion "bigger is better". In the case of wireless data speed, e-peen is " faster is better".

Ahh makes sense now. Thanks!

• Like 1

I wonder if T-Mobile has the cell density in Chicago that it has in other large cities. 

T-Mobile should be averaging around 18 Mbps in 15x15 channels. If they aren't, then are they as dense as they could be there?

It's the measure of a speed test when the speed is irrelevant because its to fast to tell the difference but you post it anyway just to show off the network in your area. The term is just about played out now though.

Back on subject though. There is definitely something wrong with network switching between the two networks. You can't tell me it just straight prefer ls T-Mobile and uses Sprint as a back up. It never switches to Sprint ever but will switch to T-Mobile in a heartbeat. There are plenty of places where Sprint has better coverage than T-Mobile and won't switch. I think band 12 has something to do with it because the nexus 6 will hold a band 12 signal longer and stronger than band 26 in almost every place I have been in.

• Like 1

Terrell definitely has the more descriptive answer to the e-peen issue, in which people do show off their speed of the networks they are on, but I think the term is rude to use on others, in my opinion. I think it is a good thing to share all forms of technical testing with others, though I understand how it becomes a problem when people use it just to brag, rather than to help progress knowledge. Still, a term like it doesn't seem appropriate. I think a term like "speed troll" is better, since the word troll is so well established online and doesn't contain innuendo at all. Safer for reading online.

Anyways, GoogleFi definitely is a wonderful concept, though ever since hearing about how it works, I've been quite skeptical of it, technically, though I've kept quiet about my opinions of the issue. Partly because I've been more concerned about the pricing of it. However, there is the fact that while both carriers GoogleFi uses have LTE networks, both use different bands on separate equipment. Nothing against Sprint here, but seeing as Sprint still is upgrading its network, it really isn't a stable supplier of data for GoogleFi to be using while also switching between Sprint and T-Mobile. One or the other, like what Ting offers, is fine, but not both working together.

It would have made more sense for GoogleFi to switch between T-Mobile and AT&T. That would have provided a much more stable experience for their customers. Besides, this isn't the right thing for Sprint at the moment either. Since their network is being more closely in contrast with T-Mobile's network by doing this, it opens up Sprint to more direct criticisms, especially in areas they lack where T-Mobile doesn't. Ultimately, the more GoogleFi uses T-Mobile, the worse it looks for Sprint. Also, unlike other carriers who won't be affected by their networks not being used on Google Fi at times, granted if they were partners with Google on this project, Sprint cannot afford to do so.

I think Sprint would be better off not lending their network to other companies as often, but rather focus on their customers and on their own network, at least until their situation and reputation improves. Although, I understand their need for money too.

• Like 1

No offense but I don't need you to tell me a post was useful or not.

Yes I will

No offense but I don't need you to tell me a post was useful or not.

I wasn't telling you that at all. I was voicing my opinion that it was useful, but I agree that if it wasn't for you, then it wasn't for you. For others though, such as myself, Terrell's post was useful. I also went into detail as to why it was, in case others might benefit from understanding it more than just from the group of people who only view speed test results as trolling their data speeds.

There is a good side to showing data speeds, as I explained here earlier in the thread. It shows a difference in speeds when a person, which in this case is Terrell, is in an area with 20x20 AWS LTE. I remember when the Chicago market use to be 10x10 AWS LTE, which between that and what I now know from Terrell's example of 20x20 AWS LTE, is a very major difference in speed, still quite a big difference over the Chicago market's current 15x15 AWS LTE.

Besides, this isn't just about data speed. It also means more capacity is available to provide higher more durable speed during times of congestion, with that amount of extra spectrum difference. It is nice to know, so I can hope for that level or similar level of improvement for when T-Mobile, if I end up staying with them granted, were to implement the extra spectrum someday here in the Chicago market.

• Like 1

I've noticed after a few weeks using Fi that the switching between Sprint and T-mobile has gotten better. Whether that's due to backend changes or the network 'learning' the areas you frequent.

• Like 3