Google announces Project Fi: Partners with Sprint and T-Mobile for Network Access (previous title: Google to start it's own Wireless Service; using T-Mobile/Sprint for it's Network Footprint.)

IamMrFamous07

With how it is being implemented now, carrier aggregation of three 5mhz pcs carriers would not be like a 15x15 carrier, it would be 5x5 + 5x0 + 5x0. Uplink would stay on the primary component carrier until uplink ca is developed. Band 25 and band 41 CA should be able to work pretty well, because they could change the TDD ratio to utilize more download on the secondary component carrier which would be less "wasted" spectrum.

Uplink carrier aggregation is live as of Rel 10.

Uplink carrier aggregation is live as of Rel 10.

You need compatible devices. There's a reason no one has UL CA capable devices yet. 

Regardless Sprint PCS equipment are not capable of 3 individual LTE carriers while running in mixed mode (CDMA+LTE) operations so that's a null point. 

I wasn't sure if what I was suggesting with the PCS aggregation between all carriers of it were possible or not, just that if it were, then that would be a good use of it to make it work better, granted had it been able to work similarly to a 15x15, which now doesn't seem likely or even possible.

Again, I'm not advocating the sale of PCS, just I'd rather see it be sold than band 41. Sprint just needs to get more sites in operation either using fiber backhaul, or the use of band 41 wireless backhaul I've been reading about lately. The other option, if there were a way of getting it done somehow, is a merger with T-Mobile for their towers, just without John Legere being involved.

I wasn't sure if what I was suggesting with the PCS aggregation between all carriers of it were possible or not, just that if it were, then that would be a good use of it to make it work better, granted had it been able to work similarly to a 15x15, which now doesn't seem likely or even possible.

Again, I'm not advocating the sale of PCS, just I'd rather see it be sold than band 41. Sprint just needs to get more sites in operation either using fiber backhaul, or the use of band 41 wireless backhaul I've been reading about lately. The other option, if there were a way of getting it done somehow, is a merger with T-Mobile for their towers, just without John Legere being involved.

PCS will never be sold, ever. Unless Sprint is in bankruptcy, it is not an option. They will sell every bit of b41 before they sell any PCS.

• Like 1

PCS will never be sold, ever. Unless Sprint is in bankruptcy, it is not an option. They will sell every bit of b41 before they sell any PCS.

I disagree with the EBS/BRS. They may get rid of some EBS as that is leased. They own most of the BRS.

However, I do not seeing them giving their advantage to any other carrier. Perhaps they may strike capacity deals with other carriers but not sell it.

Just wanted to give a quick shout out that I'm following this topic now. If there's a SignalCheck issue that is directly tied to Project Fi that would be of more interest to the folks in this thread than the SignalCheck thread, feel free to post it here, but I don't want to derail into off-topic discussions. I've gotten a ton of positive feedback from Fi users, so I want to keep you guys happy!

I'll be adding some Project Fi-specific features to SignalCheck very soon. I'm also on the hunt for a cheap Nexus 6 for if/when Google sends me an invite; my eye is on Swappa, but if anyone has one they don't need, drop me a PM. I will be using it as a test bed for both Fi-specific features and Lollipop. My current testing methods for Lollipop are terrible, and it shows in the quality of the app. Gotta get that changed!

-Mike

• Like 5

I got my Fi invite today. I really wanted it at first, but the more I thought about it, I don't need the cash outlay for another number.

I got my Fi invite today. I really wanted it at first, but the more I thought about it, I don't need the cash outlay for another number.

I accepted my invite and I'll be swapping sim cards out with my Sprint line.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I will try that out. I still have a functioning nexus 5 with extremely damaged screen and a nexus 6 almost mint condition. I just got my Google Fi care package today. I will just put my nexus 5 to my account to release the Nexus 6 then activate. After that I will release my Nexus 5 and try and see what happens. I have a nano to micro converter and cutter so I'm good.

Fi apparently works on the Nexus 5 unofficially. http://www.androidheadlines.com/2015/06/project-fi-works-nexus-6-xda-begs-differ.html

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

So far activating fi was easy and simple. I deactivated my nexus 6 online and used my nexus 5 to occupy the number. I had no issues like others reported after doing that. It liked to use Sprint for the longest time then it switched to T-Mobile and now its clinging to that. I don't know if it used volte but it uses hspa+ and CDMA no problem. I need to switch to the Google fi nexus image to get wifi calling to work. I will do that later. Love the care package too.

So far activating fi was easy and simple. I deactivated my nexus 6 online and used my nexus 5 to occupy the number. I had no issues like others reported after doing that. It liked to use Sprint for the longest time then it switched to T-Mobile and now its clinging to that. I don't know if it used volte but it uses hspa+ and CDMA no problem. I need to switch to the Google fi nexus image to get wifi calling to work. I will do that later. Love the care package too.

Have you put the fi sim into your n5 yet?

Have you put the fi sim into your n5 yet?

I'll do it now but since my nexus 5 is now connected to my Sprint account it might not work.

I'll do it now but since my nexus 5 is now connected to my Sprint account it might not work.

Do you have another sprint phone to temporarily activate? Or maybe put your n6 on your Sprint line?

Do you have another sprint phone to temporarily activate? Or maybe put your n6 on your Sprint line?

Don't have to I put in the sim, installed Google fi, then rebooted the phone and it works. Latched on to T-Mobile.7ba3a3acc3a5712ef18e99664de26e66.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Don't have to I put in the sim, installed Google fi, then rebooted the phone and it works. Latched on to T-Mobile.7ba3a3acc3a5712ef18e99664de26e66.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I think that fi will work on the n5 but it won't connect to Sprint. Or have wifi calling.

I think that fi will work on the n5 but it won't connect to Sprint. Or have wifi calling.

I think your right. The nexus 5 treated it like a gsm sim. In the cellular networks menu it had all the gsm carrier and project fi was the one it was using. However the only way to truly know is to get my Sprint fi number to the nexus 5.

I think your right. The nexus 5 treated it like a gsm sim. In the cellular networks menu it had all the gsm carrier and project fi was the one it was using. However the only way to truly know is to get my Sprint fi number to the nexus 5.

Terrell, have you talked with Sprint retention care representatives yet about your etf issue?