Google announces Project Fi: Partners with Sprint and T-Mobile for Network Access (previous title: Google to start it's own Wireless Service; using T-Mobile/Sprint for it's Network Footprint.)

IamMrFamous07

Eh, too much money for something I want as a test drive. Need to find a Nexus 6 somewhere.

I saw ebay had it on sale for $450, not bad for an awesome phone.

Pretty sure you can still get over $380 if it doesnt work out for you...

i got my invite last week, however once I tried to sign up, I had to either get rid of my sprint integration/dual numbers or choose a different account.

I thought that I could simply request a completely new unrelated number, however it doesn't work that way.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to take into consideration the existing invite when I created a new account to let me use my FI invite on it and now the new account is back in the FI waiting list.

In other words, the FI invite is hard linked to your google account and the option to create a new account means you start over in the FI queue.

• Like 1

i got my invite last week, however once I tried to sign up, I had to either get rid of my sprint integration/dual numbers or choose a different account.

I thought that I could simply request a completely new unrelated number, however it doesn't work that way.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to take into consideration the existing invite when I created a new account to let me use my FI invite on it and now the new account is back in the FI waiting list.

In other words, the FI invite is hard linked to your google account and the option to create a new account means you start over in the FI queue.

This is true, as I was in the same dellema...I however disabled Sprint integration and will test out Fi for a month...If I don't like it, i'll go back to Sprint, if I do, i'll port over...

• Like 1

Sounds like the ship may have already sailed for you.  I use Google Voice for visual voicemail with the N6 on Sprint, however, do not do the integration.  I spoke with Fi / Google support and was able to move my Google Voice account to a different gmail address (read: extra) and then used my personal (read: main) account for the Fi invite.  In speaking to support, you are unable to change your gmail account from Fi after the fact.  Therefore, I'd prefer that my Fi is on my personal and I can always change the Google Voice account back to my 'main' account if I do not like / utilize Fi.  Just food for thought.

As an aside, processing / shipping appears to be pretty quick.  Tracking number as of last night was already live and I am anticipating delivery on the 25th.

EDIT: https://goo.gl/photos/d96g6njcQq3DGgSCA Pictures of the arrival kit.  I'm about to activate, but may not have much time to play @6/26/15 4 est.

I am jumping from Sprint to Fi officially tonight...After speaking with Sprint Exec Care, they did a network assessment of the area, found that coverage is poor in several places and they don't have plans to upgrade within the next year. Sprint support has been excellent through the process and is letting me leave with no fees, and I'm returning my tablet. They are also letting me keep the Nexus 6 to use with Fi, and canceling my payments. Amazing. I will definitely be back if the network improves. Customer service is awesome! but I can still track Sprint with Fi as it uses sprint, and I can even set the phone to only use Sprint or T-Mobile...pretty nice...Anyways, just my two cents! Looking forward to the Fi Ride!

• Like 5

I am jumping from Sprint to Fi officially tonight...After speaking with Sprint Exec Care, they did a network assessment of the area, found that coverage is poor in several places and they don't have plans to upgrade within the next year. Sprint support has been excellent through the process and is letting me leave with no fees, and I'm returning my tablet. They are also letting me keep the Nexus 6 to use with Fi, and canceling my payments. Amazing. I will definitely be back if the network improves. Customer service is awesome! but I can still track Sprint with Fi as it uses sprint, and I can even set the phone to only use Sprint or T-Mobile...pretty nice...Anyways, just my two cents! Looking forward to the Fi Ride!

Glad to have a guinea pig to report to us.

Using Tapatalk on Nexus 6

• Like 4

How is T-Mobile coverage in Port St. Lucie?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How is T-Mobile coverage in Port St. Lucie?

Actually it is quite excellent and supplements Sprint in many areas. When I'm at home, T-Mobile is the better carrier, when I'm at work Sprint is good. Having Fi is great to be able to switch between the two. However I have noticed I'm on T-Mobile more. A nice feature that I found on the reddits (lol) is there are dialer codes to choose between the networks or back to auto. I've had to manually switch to Sprint because T-Mobile is so strong around here. So I have yet to see the automatic switch.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Actually it is quite excellent and supplements Sprint in many areas. When I'm at home, T-Mobile is the better carrier, when I'm at work Sprint is good. Having Fi is great to be able to switch between the two. However I have noticed I'm on T-Mobile more. A nice feature that I found on the reddits (lol) is there are dialer codes to choose between the networks or back to auto. I've had to manually switch to Sprint because T-Mobile is so strong around here. So I have yet to see the automatic switch.

If I ever get Fi I would solely be T-Mobile because there's no Sprint signal in most of the Chester city limits. That said, if Sprint were here, it sure would be nice to flip from T-Mobile to Sprint in building and hit band 26 LTE. That would be really worthwhile, and probably the best bet for in building unless T-Mobile uses USCC's B12 here as part of a roaming deal.

All I really need is for Sprint to get on either the AT&T/Verizon tower they sold off for $$$$ or the one T-Mobile also sold off for $$$.

• Like 1

The switching feature is really nice...And if anyone is interested for the codes, they are as follows:

*#*#34866#*#* - Switch to T-Mobile Network

*#*#34777#*#* - Switch to Sprint

*#*#346398#*#* - Switch to the Next Carrier

*#*#342886#*#* - Switch back to automatic carrier switching

*#*#34963#*#* - Initiates an Automatic fix. (I've found this is the equivalent to doing a reprogram or SCRTN).

*#*#344636#*#* - Displays Network Information.

**Dialer codes Courtesy of minlite from Reddit.com/r/projectfi**

So if you have FI and want to use the codes, there you go! 

• Like 11

The switching feature is really nice...And if anyone is interested for the codes, they are as follows:

*#*#34866#*#* - Switch to T-Mobile Network

*#*#34777#*#* - Switch to Sprint

*#*#342886#*#* - Switch back to automatic carrier switching

*#*#34963#*#* - Initiates an Automatic fix. (I've found this is the equivalent to doing a reprogram or SCRTN).

*#*#344636#*#* - Displays Network Information.

**Dialer codes Courtesy of minlite from Reddit.com/r/projectfi**

So if you have FI and want to use the codes, there you go!

How is SCP behaving on Fi? Is all your Sprint data populating?

Using Nexus 6 on Tapatalk

• Like 1

That's a great question and it presents one I need to present to Mike. When I stay on a single network it populates just like before, but when it switches the measurements freeze and I have to reboot the phone to get it to work properly. But other than that, it seems to be business as usual with scp. All data enters as before.

I was just on T-Mobile and did the manual switch to Sprint and scp gave me the initial reading but froze like this:

uploadfromtaptalk1435417452328.png

• Like 1

And just to show, I am on fi network:

Screenshot_2015-06-27-11-04-44.png

I have a feeling when I finally get my invite that Tmobile will be the carrier it puts me on the most also. We have almost every tower with band 12 and a few even had 15*15 wideband. Sprint capacity is nothing in comparison only in rural territory do I think it will pick Sprint.
  • Like 1

SCP behaves identical for me.  When on Sprint, all my notes show up.  When on TMobile, I do not have any notes, so none are shown.  However, GCI, PCI and LTE connection type are shown (ie Band 2).

Let me know if you have any other questions.  I've noticed the wifi calling is nice, but doesn't want to use it all the time.  Kind of weird.

• Like 1

What would be the "Next Carrier"?

And are we sure that manual network selection is not available in the Settings menu?  I am all for dialer codes, if necessary, but standard menu selections are better.  Activity based home screen shortcuts are best, though, so maybe those are possible.

AJ

• Like 1

What would be the "Next Carrier"?

And are we sure that manual network selection is not available in the Settings menu? I am all for dialer codes, if necessary, but standard menu selections are better. Activity based home screen shortcuts are best, though, so maybe those are possible.

AJ

From what I can tell, it leaves your phone in automatic switching mode but just shunts it over to the next network.

As for the dialer codes, I don't see anywhere in the settings that allows the same functionality as the dialer codes. I'm assuming they're only for testing so will probably use that disclaimer.

From what I can tell, it leaves your phone in automatic switching mode but just shunts it over to the next network.

As for the dialer codes, I don't see anywhere in the settings that allows the same functionality as the dialer codes. I'm assuming they're only for testing so will probably use that disclaimer.

how is the call quality? Does it use 1*800 or volte?
  • Like 1

how is the call quality? Does it use 1*800 or volte?

1-800-VOLTE???

AJ

• Like 4

I have a feeling when I finally get my invite that Tmobile will be the carrier it puts me on the most also. We have almost every tower with band 12 and a few even had 15*15 wideband. Sprint capacity is nothing in comparison only in rural territory do I think it will pick Sprint.

Around me it likely would be T-Mobile as well, though an interesting test for me would be in Schaumburg, where Sprint has excellent band 41, whereas T-Mobile was awful in while they had 10x10. I haven't had a chance to test it at 15x15.

While I'm still hoping to go to Verizon, if there is a reason I can't, since its not my account, I know GoogleFi is an option.

• Like 1

Around me it likely would be T-Mobile as well, though an interesting test for me would be in Schaumburg, where Sprint has excellent band 41, whereas T-Mobile was awful in while they had 10x10. I haven't had a chance to test it at 15x15.

While I'm still hoping to go to Verizon, if there is a reason I can't, since its not my account, I know GoogleFi is an option.

Google Fi seems to be a good option for my area if you are careful on your data usage. Seems like my invite will never get here. Signed up on day one and still in determining status.

• Like 1