What's the reach of the 1900mhz broadcast?

The closest Sprint tower to my house is about 3.5 miles away. In between are hills, trees, a handful of houses, and fields. However, I do have line of sight. I can see the blinking light of the tower in the distance at night. I do not think Sprint has deployed any LTE at this tower. When they do, is it possible that the LTE signal would reach my house?

Right now I have a Moto X, but I may go back to the Q10. I do pick up eHRPD at my house. What frequency is that on? I'm thinking Sprint's 800ish mhz LTE band might. Not sure about 1900 though..

Thanks

• Like 1

The closest Sprint tower to my house is about 3.5 miles away. In between are hills, trees, a handful of houses, and fields. However, I do have line of sight. I can see the blinking light of the tower in the distance at night. I do not think Sprint has deployed any LTE at this tower. When they do, is it possible that the LTE signal would reach my house?

Right now I have a Moto X, but I may go back to the Q10. I do pick up eHRPD at my house. What frequency is that on? I'm thinking Sprint's 800ish mhz LTE band might. Not sure about 1900 though..

Thanks

eHRPD is on 1900MHz, not sure on the B25 LTE reaching you but I am sure if you have line of sight you will most likely pick up B26.

• Like 2

Thanks

This has already been answered, but I am not sure exactly where on here....

eHRPD is on 1900MHz, not sure on the B25 LTE reaching you but I am sure if you have line of sight you will most likely pick up B26.

LTE would just be more weak but its possible.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. Sorry for posting about a topic that's already been talked about.

I'm hoping Sprint comes out with a new BlackBerry that way I could pick up B26.

According to Sprint's coverage maps, I'm in a roaming area.. But that's not true. If I stand on the porch or outside, I can get 5/6 bars on my Moto X. eHRPD is weaker- SignalCheck rates my connection around -96 dBm. I'll double check those numbers when I get home tonight.

Edited by BlackBerryRulez

Thanks for the replies. Sorry for posting about a topic that's already been talked about.

According to Sprint's coverage maps, I'm in a roaming area.. But that's not true. If I stand on the porch or outside, I can get 5/6 bars on my Moto X. eHRPD is weaker- SignalCheck rates my connection around -96 dBm. I'll double check those numbers when I get home tonight.

Well ALL the carriers have poor coverage maps, lol

• Like 1

Any band 25 LTE from that site would be minimal. Bamd 26, given it gets deployed on that site should be near fringe.

Any band 25 LTE from that site would be minimal. Bamd 26, given it gets deployed on that site should be near fringe.

That's not necessarily true. Band 25 can be usable up to 10 miles away depending on the setup of the site. 3.5 miles is nothing. Especially with line of sight. Just depends on if the site is setup for coverage in that area.

• Like 1

That's not necessarily true. Band 25 can be usable up to 10 miles away depending on the setup of the site. 3.5 miles is nothing. Especially with line of sight. Just depends on if the site is setup for coverage in that area.

It could also mean the opposite, he may not get band 25 due to power levels and down tilt. I have line of site of an att site and have -95dbm LTE , within a mile. There are variables we do not have info on. Im going on based on similar conditions know that I experience.
  • Like 1

Thanks

eHRPD as stated runs on the 1900MHz PCS band, eHRPD is just a software overlay of 3G EV-DO to allow smooth transitions from 3G to LTE or vise versa.  If you are receiving an estimated -96dB on either 1x RTT or EV-DO/eHRPD then you will be very very close to the edge of 1900 B25 LTE roughly -105 to -115dB, the newer the technology the more fragile the signal becomes. Anyone could take a stab at what your signal could be but it would be a guesstimate.  Band 26 800 LTE would be the better experience for you once its deployed at the site you have described due to trees, hills, and obstructions that are between you and the site.   

• Like 1

It could also mean the opposite, he may not get band 25 due to power levels and down tilt. I have line of site of an att site and have -95dbm LTE , within a mile. There are variables we do not have info on. Im going on based on similar conditions know that I experience.

He did say he gets a strong 3G signal, so LTE shouldn't be that much of a stretch. I know there are sites where the coverage footprint is only 1 mile, I also know there are sites with a 10 mile footprint. Like I said, it all depends on how the site is set up. But to say unequivocally that LTE from that site will be minimal is incorrect.

• Like 3

He did say he gets a strong 3G signal, so LTE shouldn't be that much of a stretch. I know there are sites where the coverage footprint is only 1 mile, I also know there are sites with a 10 mile footprint. Like I said, it all depends on how the site is set up. But to say unequivocally that LTE from that site will be minimal is incorrect.

Im just basing it inly info , and a best estimate given thats about what I see, in very similar terrain, and EVDO signal.

Your 1x connection in RSSI is what I would be most interested in. Like JossMan said above, a -95dBm RSSI 1x1900 signal would be roughly equivalent to a -115/-120dBm RSRP Band 25 LTE signal, which is the edge of usability.

• Like 2

Your 1x connection in RSSI is what I would be most interested in. Like JossMan said above, a -95dBm RSSI 1x1900 signal would be roughly equivalent to a -115/-120dBm RSRP Band 25 LTE signal, which is the edge of usability.

So it all depends on the LTE site setup? I was wondering what was going on where I live. I'm 1 mile from a LTE tower east of me, and there's another site inside of a church that's about a mile south of me. I never understood why I never could get LTE at home (and inside) majority of the time, only decent 3G. Every once in a while at times, during late nights anywhere around 10:30 pm and after when standing in front of my driveway, I will pick up LTE signals ranging between -117 dBm to 120 dBm for a short period of time. Makes sense now. Here's what I normally get inside and outside the house.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tasqhui3rem9kkg/AACyAa6XAiMm7zgJkRBxEZkMa?dl=0

• Like 1

So it all depends on the LTE site setup? I was wondering what was going on where I live. I'm 1 mile from a LTE tower east of me, and there's another site inside of a church that's about a mile south of me. I never understood why I never could get LTE at home (and inside) majority of the time, only decent 3G. Every once in a while at times, during late nights anywhere around 10:30 pm and after when standing in front of my driveway, I will pick up LTE signals ranging between -117 dBm to 120 dBm for a short period of time. Makes sense now. Here's what I normally get inside and outside the house.

Right, every site is configured differently. From the looks of it, you are on the very edge of usability for Band 25. However, once the US and Mexico get things figured out and Sprint is able to come back and add Band 26, you should get an LTE signal.

So it all depends on the LTE site setup? I was wondering what was going on where I live. I'm 1 mile from a LTE tower east of me, and there's another site inside of a church that's about a mile south of me. I never understood why I never could get LTE at home (and inside) majority of the time, only decent 3G. Every once in a while at times, during late nights anywhere around 10:30 pm and after when standing in front of my driveway, I will pick up LTE signals ranging between -117 dBm to 120 dBm for a short period of time. Makes sense now. Here's what I normally get inside and outside the house.

Having the sun down really helps with fringe cellular signal. Solar radiation has a large effect on radio signals. This is also the time of year where trees have no leaves, which also helps signal travel farther. I have a few places by me where speeds are slow and drop to 3G in the summer, but have no problem this time of year holding LTE the whole time. There are so many variables when it comes to signal that really no person or coverage map can ever be close to being accurate. You have to just try it for yourself.

Sent from my iPhone 6

• Like 3

3 miles with line of sight is nothing for B25. The only reason B25 with LOS would not go 3 miles is if the down tilt was severe on that sector, or he was between sectors perfectly.

Many times when people complain they cannot get a B25 signal one mile from the site, most often the issue is ground clutter. Trees, low hills and berms, structures, etc. Standing in their driveway produces no signal. But if they stand on their roof and suddenly have LOS to the tower one mile away..,poof...they have a -95 RSRP.

• Like 7

3 miles with line of sight is nothing for B25. The only reason B25 with LOS would not go 3 miles is if the down tilt was severe on that sector, or he was between sectors perfectly.

Many times when people complain they cannot get a B25 signal one mile from the site, most often the issue is ground clutter. Trees, low hills and berms, structures, etc. Standing in their driveway produces no signal. But if they stand on their roof and suddenly have LOS to the tower one mile away..,poof...they have a -95 RSRP.

The nearest site to me is a flagpole site, and the other is in a low church tower. And yes, we have very high hills, and lots of other structures around such as trees, 3 story apartment buildings, and homes. Makes total sense.

I can tell you that you should be fine picking up either Band 25 or Band 26.  I live over 7 miles away from my nearest tower.  Assuming nothing really solid (I.E. a hill/mountain/concrete wall) is in front of the sector facing your home then you should easily pick up LTE there.  I pick up both Band 25 and Band 26 at my home.  Band 25 ive noticed is about 3 to 8 dbm weaker than B26 here at my home.  Hope that helps.

Kevin

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate all the comments; I like learning more about the technology surrounding cell phones. I'll reply to everything as I go. I've linked some screenshots of my SignalCheck results at my house from yesterday evening. Hopefully that gives you some of the details you're looking for.

That's true that the coverage maps aren't very accurate- when I was at the Sprint store they brought up a company map on their computer showing the tower location. My house is right on the fringe of the tower's coverage area.

I wouldn't say my house's location has down tilt compared to the tower. There isn't a whole lot of topographical difference between the two. There are a lot trees in between my house and the tower; but like I said, I can look out the window and see the blinking light of the tower.

One thing I was curious about was why SignalCheck only displays my tower's location as Leesburg, VA. This only happens when I'm on the road near my house or at it. When I'm in town (I live outside the town limits), it displays the street address of the tower.

Screenshot_2014-12-04-18-34-51.pngScreenshot_2014-12-04-18-28-46.pngScreenshot_2014-12-04-18-28-09.pngScreenshot_2014-12-04-18-26-59.png

• Like 2

I wouldn't say my house's location has down tilt compared to the tower. 

Downtilt refers to the physical tilt of the antennas down towards the ground.

There isn't a whole lot of topographical difference between the two. There are a lot trees in between my house and the tower; but like I said, I can look out the window and see the blinking light of the tower.

But can you see the antennas? There's a difference between seeing the tower and seeing the antennas. 

Otherwise, with the exception of the first screenshot, your 1x signal does seem to be at the point where you should pick up at least weak B25, and a decent B26 signal whenever it's able to go live.

Oh, thanks for the correction. Now I know.

I'm not sure if the antennas are visible from my house. Let me get some binoculars on a clear day and check.

Yeah, I'm hoping I can at least pick up B25.. B26 is icing on the cake, since my phone only picks up B25.

You might benefit from an amplifier at that kind of range (just on the edges of reception)? The cradle types from wilson can be had for 100-150 depending on how much amazon thinks you want one. You might get more use from a whole house setup and an antenna on the roof though. Do be careful to check what bands the amplifier supports! 

• Like 1

One thing I was curious about was why SignalCheck only displays my tower's location as Leesburg, VA. This only happens when I'm on the road near my house or at it. When I'm in town (I live outside the town limits), it displays the street address of the tower.

SignalCheck attempts to look up the address for the coordinates provided by the tower. If it winds up in the middle of a field nowhere near a highway or something, it will just give the nearest location it can find. If you were to export your log, I believe it would show the transmitted coordinates.

Additionally, there's no guarantee that it's broadcasting the tower location. Many of the towers transmit the coordinates of a point in the coverage area of the sector. If you circle the tower and catch all three sectors, you can find the triangle the three coverage points make and the tower would be in the center.

- Trip

• Like 1