LG G Flex 2 [FCC ID ZNFLS996]

NateC

Well, something disappointing to many of us. It appears the US Cellular version was approved by the FCC OET on Thursday. Only Band 25 LTE is included. They even stripped CDMA BC10 from it.

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=922265&fcc_id=ZNFUS995

The intrigued builds. But it seems a deal may not be in place! For any roaming partnership. Sad news if we are to use degice radio support as a precursor of events to come or not come to pass.

Well, something disappointing to many of us. It appears the US Cellular version was approved by the FCC OET on Thursday. Only Band 25 LTE is included. They even stripped CDMA BC10 from it.

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=922265&fcc_id=ZNFUS995

Man, US Cellular doesn't want to play ball.

Too bad for USCC.  But how should this be any concern for Sprint?  Are we to cry tears for USCC subs?

AJ

• Like 1

I'm a Sprint sub and it concerns me. USCC roaming for Sprint customers would significantly enhance my Sprint experience in my area.

I'm a Sprint sub and it concerns me. USCC roaming for Sprint customers would significantly enhance my Sprint experience in my area.

You may be missing the point.  This discussion has turned to a USCC variant handset, not a Sprint variant handset.  The issue here has no bearing on roaming agreements, only on roaming capabilities for a specific device -- which, again, is a USCC variant.  The Sprint variant is fully CCA/RRPP compliant.

AJ

• Like 1

Do USCC-branded devices still support SVLTE rather than eCSFB? That may explain the omission of B41/TDD LTE, although I can't imagine why they'd cut out anything else.

Too bad for USCC. But how should this be any concern for Sprint? Are we to cry tears for USCC subs?

Wasn't a "device hub" part of the Roaming Hub plans with the CCA/RRPP members? As Verizon begins to exit the CDMA ecosystem and go (Vo)LTE only, it'll be important for Sprint, USCC, C Spire, and all of the others still operating & supporting a CDMA network to "band" together to both keep device costs down, and to encourage reciprocal roaming agreements.

So if a G Flex 2 or another 2015 flagship costs me a bit more (even if Sprint chooses to eat that cost rather than spend it on their network) just because USCC is being stubborn, I won't shed any tears, but I would find it rather irksome.

Do USCC-branded devices still support SVLTE rather than eCSFB? That may explain the omission of B41/TDD LTE, although I can't imagine why they'd cut out anything else.

Single Transmission path for CDMA/LTE. No SVLTE on this phone. USCC just still isn't ready to join the CCA/RRPP program. I'm kinda surprised, because the program is really an advantage for any small carrier.

You may be missing the point. This discussion has turned to a USCC variant handset, not a Sprint variant handset. The issue here has no bearing on roaming agreements, only on roaming capabilities for a specific device -- which, again, is a USCC variant. The Sprint variant is fully CCA/RRPP compliant.

AJ

I understand that. The point was (as I read it anyway) that the evidence of a USCC variant of the Flex 2 that didn't include CCA bands could be interpreted to mean that USCC wasn't planning on joining the CCA. If that interpretation ends up being correct then that is bad news for this Sprint subscriber.

Wasn't a "device hub" part of the Roaming Hub plans with the CCA/RRPP members? As Verizon begins to exit the CDMA ecosystem and go (Vo)LTE only, it'll be important for Sprint, USCC, C Spire, and all of the others still operating & supporting a CDMA network to "band" together to both keep device costs down, and to encourage reciprocal roaming agreements.

I am not worried.

USCC has gone its own way on handsets for the past few years and has had seemingly little trouble procuring the band class 0/1 and band 2/4/5/12 variants it needs for its network.

The CCA/RRPP "hub" likely matters more to the truly small, rural operators -- whose subs are measured in thousands, not millions.

AJ

I understand that. The point was (as I read it anyway) that the evidence of a USCC variant of the Flex 2 that didn't include CCA bands could be interpreted to mean that USCC wasn't planning on joining the CCA. If that interpretation ends up being correct then that is bad news for this Sprint subscriber.

Uh, it does include CCA/RRPP bands:  bands 4/5/12/25(2).  Those are the LTE bands that matter to USCC and CCA/RRPP partners.

Just because this USCC variant does not support bands 26/41 is no cause for concern.

If anything, that is good news.  Roamers should not be allowed on band class 10, nor on bands 26/41.  Those should be reserved for actual Sprint subs.

AJ

Uh, it does include CCA/RRPP bands:  bands 4/5/12/25(2).  Those are the LTE bands that matter to USCC and CCA/RRPP partners.

Just because this USCC variant does not support bands 26/41 is no cause for concern.

If anything, that is good news.  Roamers should not be allowed on band class 10, nor on bands 26/41.  Those should be reserved for actual Sprint subs.

AJ

The USCC variant also specifically mentions Band 17 inclusion, so is an AT&T or Rogers roaming agreement in the works, or this was just a customary filing?

Yes!!!! I hope all 2015 Sprint LTE phones contain LTE bands 2, 4, 5 and 12 to be compatible with AT&T, Verizon and Tmobile networks.

Almost all.. Verizon's original 700 MHz B13 LTE network would remain left out. Their overlay B2 & B4 networks would theoretically work though. Down the road, once VZ begins refarming CLR 850, B5 should provide LTE coverage similar to that enjoyed by B13-capable devices.

Just an FYI and something to look at while we wait for this phone to be released ;)

FCC Flex test numbers

flex.jpg

FCC Flex 2 test numbers

flex2.jpg

i know the numbers don't always translate to real world performance, but the Flex 2 does appear to follow the trend of focusing on B41. B25/26 appear to be roughly the same.

• Like 4

Just an FYI and something to look at while we wait for this phone to be released ;)

i know the numbers don't always translate to real world performance, but the Flex 2 does appear to follow the trend of focusing on B41. B25/26 appear to be roughly the same.

You are correct. Sprint is doing this intentionally to make Band 41 the priority LTE band. That was the whole purpose of Network Vision 2.0 was the broad deployment of Band 41 and make devices prefer it in radio performance too. It was a very good idea too.

Does anyone have an educated guess as to how soon we will see this device for sale for Sprint? I am facing some troubles with my current LG G2 and I'm trying to decide if I want to reset and restore or just live with it until this device comes out.

Does anyone have an educated guess as to how soon we will see this device for sale for Sprint? I am facing some troubles with my current LG G2 and I'm trying to decide if I want to reset and restore or just live with it until this device comes out.

my guess would be 2/6/15. i got the flex on release day last year which if i remember right was 2/7/14. I haven't heard any official dates yet but i would guess in february sometime.

Oh, that would be great. I was thinking more like wondering if I'd have it by April. It's been many years since I've bought a new phone from Sprint. Do they do online reservations with store pickup appointments now?

• 2 weeks later...

techno buffalo.com has a YouTube video of the LG G flex to for Sprint LG G Flex 2 OS Tour - Android Lollipop Gets Skin…: http://youtu.be/VxD6zDZPcBo

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...