Phone Unlocking Policy Discussion

Ascertion

Was it a Sprint-branded iPhone 5?

Sent from my iPhone 6+

Purchased from Sprint.com in September 2012. Popped in the SIM, immediately connected to Band 13 but any attempts to use data lead me to an activation page.

• Like 1

Purchased from Sprint.com in September 2012. Popped in the SIM, immediately connected to Band 13 but any attempts to use data lead me to an activation page.

Nice!

Sent from Josh's iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk 3.1.1

Does this mean that we can unlock our Sprint phones and use them with another major carrier now? Sprint has not been compliant with this in the past. I am hoping this new policy means that we can use Sprint phones on Verizon, AT&T and Tmobile.

Basically, only the iPhone 5s/5c/6/6+ will be unlocked (and work on other carriers) starting tomorrow. Other Sprint phones released from here on out will be unlocked if you meet the qualifications.

http://www.sprint.com/legal/unlocking_policy.html

Sent from my iPhone 6+

Welp tomorrow is the big day. I will be calling first thing in the morning to see what the process will be to get my regular iPhone 6 unlocked since I bought it outright on launch day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welp tomorrow is the big day. I will be calling first thing in the morning to see what the process will be to get my regular iPhone 6 unlocked since I bought it outright on launch day.

Hopefully it happens tomorrow. Every rep I talked to had no clue what was even going to happen on the 19th. "I think we're supposed to get some new program or something?" Sounds like they're throwing it at them with zero training. I hope that date sticks. We really don't need 2/19 to turn into 3/19, then "sometime Q4 2015."

Sent from my iPhone 6+

• Like 1

Hopefully it happens tomorrow. Every rep I talked to had no clue what was even going to happen on the 19th. "I think we're supposed to get some new program or something?" Sounds like they're throwing it at them with zero training. I hope that date sticks. We really don't need 2/19 to turn into 3/19, then "sometime Q4 2015."

Sent from my iPhone 6+

That would be the absolute worst. I called this past Monday but it was a different number given to me by a cs rep and that number deals with phone unlocking and they were fully aware of the new policy and the software update and told me to call back on the 19th.

Well, good luck getting your iPhone unlocked. These reps are making up policies on the fly, which I'm sure is illegal. I have an installment plan on my line from a year-and-half ago from an old android device. I paid full price for my 6+, and they're telling me that even though I'm requesting to unlock the full-price phone, they can't because the installment agreement is sitting there. The supervisor will not unlock my device unless I provide proof of purchase from wherever I bought it? If I paid anything less than retail it's not considered "paid for?" I've never once had a bad experience with Sprint customer support, and the way they just (literally) yelled at me has me thinking other providers. "We have no way of knowing how you paid for your phone, so we can't proceed. Unless you fax us something, we can't proceed. We're unable to lookup an IMEI number to see if it's stolen or paid for or on an installment plan" Argh.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

Well, good luck getting your iPhone unlocked. These reps are making up policies on the fly, which I'm sure is illegal. I have an installment plan on my line from a year-and-half ago from an old android device. I paid full price for my 6+, and they're telling me that even though I'm requesting to unlock the full-price phone, they can't because the installment agreement is sitting there. The supervisor will not unlock my device unless I provide proof of purchase from wherever I bought it? If I paid anything less than retail it's not considered "paid for?" I've never once had a bad experience with Sprint customer support, and the way they just (literally) yelled at me has me thinking other providers. "We have no way of knowing how you paid for your phone, so we can't proceed. Unless you fax us something, we can't proceed. We're unable to lookup an IMEI number to see if it's stolen or paid for or on an installment plan" Argh.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

Yea I'm on hold now and they aren't budging at all. She tried to tell me to go to a sprint store because me imei not active on my account so she can't find it. I told her that on the website for inactive devices you need to call into customer service.

I hate calling Sprint cs because the wait time are so long

There will be some serious dodging of the rules with this. It's a he said she said thing as of now. This supervisors's supervisor said they're playing off a different policy that the customers don't have access to. I reminded her how illegal that was. She didn't care.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

There will be some serious dodging of the rules with this. It's a he said she said thing as of now. This supervisors's supervisor said they're playing off a different policy that the customers don't have access to. I reminded her how illegal that was. She didn't care.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

This was exactly what I was afraid of (as you can see in my prior posts)... That Sprint will have a hard time dealing with devices purchased at full price while the subscriber is under contract or installment plan for another device.

That said, if you read Sprint's new policy carefully, you'll notice that it doesn't actually say that they are obligated to unlock devices purchased at full price. I guess they are just set on continuing to piss off their customers with respect to unlocking.

eChatted with Sprint this morning about my paid off (but still active) 5S.  They said that the phone showed eligible to be domestic unlocked, but their tool only showed an option for international.  So, they are probably having first-day issues with trying to get it to work.  They did put notes on my account and will schedule a call back.

The rep was very polite and apologetic.  

Agent : We're trying to process it on our end however it's not showing us an option to unlock for domestic use when we search for the MEID or the phone number. I do see here that the phone is eligible to be unlocked.

I spoke to a rep and she said that Apple has to roll out the update to their system today so that could be anytime today.

i called 5 times today and a different answer each time - and all total bull%^& 

once my phones are unlocked by sprint/apple -- I may finally just leave due to this company having no clue!  

hopfefully they will send an auto generated text in the next 48 hours

I highly doubt they will....    

• Like 1

i called 5 times today and a different answer each time - and all total bull%^&

once my phones are unlocked by sprint/apple -- I may finally just leave due to this company having no clue!

hopfefully they will send an auto generated text in the next 48 hours

I highly doubt they will....

Sprint I think is the least happy over this unlocking law. I have a pending ticket open for my 6 to be unlocked. Deep down I would want to believe that the reps don't know because I got a different story with each call but then again...this bs they giving people is to make sure customers stay with them in the hopes they just give up trying to get their iPhone unlocked.

• Like 1

No. Only devices manufactured after February 2015 will be subject this policy. Any device before is fair game.

-Anthony

this is incorrect. from what I have read, iPhone 5S and newer are an exception since they are already DSU locked. they will be automatically unlocked at the end of the agreement or installment plans. all other phones are MSL locked. starting in Feb, all devices will be DSU since it is easier to unlock by doing it remotely. they will send a notification to Apple and apple will unlock it technically since apple controls the locking specifications for the carrier. I actually spoke with a Sprint employee on Reddit. multiple people gave confirmed this for me.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus

Edited by blakefromatt

Alright, this thread is begging for some staff moderation -- and maybe even girding for a temporary lock.

Answer this question:  why are you people so hellbent on rushing the proverbial doors of Sprint and getting your handsets unlocked on day one?  Just because you can?

Do you file your taxes the first day that the IRS starts accepting returns and not expect a backlog?  Do you eat at a new restaurant the day it opens and expect a perfectly smooth dining experience?  Have you ever dealt with a new policy at work and taken some time to adapt?  See the reasoning?

To quote Aaron Rodgers, R-E-L-A-X.  Wait a few weeks.  Everything will settle into place and be fine.

AJ

• Like 9

Alright, this thread is begging for some staff moderation -- and maybe even girding for a temporary lock.

Answer this question:  why are you people so hellbent on rushing the proverbial doors of Sprint and getting your handsets unlocked on day one?  Just because you can?

Do you file your taxes the first day that the IRS starts accepting returns and not expect a backlog?  Do you eat at a new restaurant the day it opens and expect a perfectly smooth dining experience?  Have you ever dealt with a new policy at work and taken some time to adapt?  See the reasoning?

To quote Aaron Rodgers, R-E-L-A-X.  Wait a few weeks.  Everything will settle into place and be fine.

AJ

why?  Because some people might want off of this train wreck, might want to sell a device, might not understand why this didn't happen earlier - especially since Sprint doesn't have to do much. 

but hey I know its not a public forum so my apologies delayed.  

drama aside -- it would be nice to be able to reuse your device on another carrier.... does that seem fair?

• Like 1

Answer this question: why are you people so hellbent on rushing the proverbial doors of Sprint and getting your handsets unlocked on day one? Just because you can?

Do you file your taxes the first day that the IRS starts accepting returns and not expect a backlog? Do you eat at a new restaurant the day it opens and expect a perfectly smooth dining experience? Have you ever dealt with a new policy at work and taken some time to adapt? See the reasoning?

To quote Aaron Rodgers, R-E-L-A-X. Wait a few weeks. Everything will settle into place and be fine.

AJ

Pretty much yes to all of your questions. I want my device unlocked so that I can sell it for probably $100 more than as it sits right now. I want to sell my plus, and almost be able to buy 2 regulars (one for my wife). Is that so wrong? They implemented a policy and they're not abiding by it. Don't say the 19th if you aren't ready on the 19th. You have to understand that. There are users on this forum who have paid full price, and rightly deserve this unlock. It's hard to talk about Sprint's flaws without coming off like a rant. We'll try harder, I guess.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

• Like 7

why? Because some people might want off of this train wreck, might want to sell a device, might not understand why this didn't happen earlier - especially since Sprint doesn't have to do much.

but hey I know its not a public forum so my apologies delayed.

drama aside -- it would be nice to be able to reuse your device on another carrier.... does that seem fair?

Pretty much yes to all of your questions. I want my device unlocked so that I can sell it for probably $100 more than as it sits right now. I want to sell my plus, and almost be able to buy 2 regulars (one for my wife). Is that so wrong? They implemented a policy and they're not abiding by it. Don't say the 19th if you aren't ready on the 19th. You have to understand that. There are users on this forum who have paid full price, and rightly deserve this unlock. It's hard to talk about Sprint's flaws without coming off like a rant. We'll try harder, I guess.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

Hounding them on day one and then complaining about everything not going well isn't going to help. Both of you knew you were buying a phone that was originally locked when you purchased it, if you wanted an unlocked device you should have chosen one. This thread reminds me of the nexus 5 launch and people flipping out because they weren't being given Sim cards and some imei's weren't in the database right away. Give it a little time and let them have the chance to make it right, if they don't then you have the right to complain. This is a big change for the company, and with any big change its not expected to be smooth sailing right off the start.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Hounding them on day one and then complaining about everything not going well isn't going to help. Both of you knew you were buying a phone that was originally locked when you purchased it, if you wanted an unlocked device you should have chosen one. This thread reminds me of the nexus 5 launch and people flipping out because they weren't being given Sim cards and some imei's weren't in the database right away. Give it a little time and let them have the chance to make it right, if they don't then you have the right to complain. This is a big change for the company, and with any big change its not expected to be smooth sailing right off the start.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

I'll agree to disagree  :)

Honestly I think it would not be an issue if Sprint had trained people on it.  Again Sprint doesn't have to much of the work here... I mean if AT&T, VZW, and other international carriers know what Apple requires - So should Sprint.  The date should have little to do with since Sprint has known for almost a year...  in fact they should have known ever since they carried the iPhone.  

I guess if Cricket wasn't offering that amazing deal currently I wouldn't be in such a hurry.  

• Like 1

Sprint has to improve their customer service in each and every way. This is just one example of this. Sprint knew about the deadline for a while, the problem is that as a company, Sprint has a long way to go on getting processes correct as far as improving customer service. It's clearly there on the JDPower rankings.

Sprint knew the unlock deadline was coming up for a while. There's ways they could have got ahead of this. If one wishes to use the restaurant analogy, Sprint could have had different intervals for unlocking different devices that beat the 2/11/15 deadline. Think of it like a test run if you will.

I'm not claiming this is easy. That said it's clearly an issue. I think Claure wants to fix this, but it's going to be really, really hard.

• Like 2

I'll agree to disagree :)

Honestly I think it would not be an issue if Sprint had trained people on it. Again Sprint doesn't have to much of the work here... I mean if AT&T, VZW, and other international carriers know what Apple requires - So should Sprint. The date should have little to do with since Sprint has known for almost a year... in fact they should have known ever since they carried the iPhone.

I guess if Cricket wasn't offering that amazing deal currently I wouldn't be in such a hurry.

Maybe the problem is on Apple's end. They are unique with their activation server. Sprint has been able to handle unlocked phones on their network for over a year, the better question is why apple didn't make them all unlocked from the get go with one north american SKU. Google was able to do it, so should apple.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Maybe the problem is on Apple's end. They are unique with their activation server. Sprint has been able to handle unlocked phones on their network for over a year, the better question is why apple didn't make them all unlocked from the get go with one north american SKU. Google was able to do it, so should apple.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Apple followed what their partners requested.  

could it be Apple sure.   BUT i would have assumed other telcos would have the same issue.  but nope... I called AT&T to unlock an iphone a couple years ago.  took 5 minutes and about 2 hours later my phone alerted me.