Phone Unlocking Policy Discussion

Ascertion

Read the entire thread. The start date this month is for devices released after that date. No current Samsung Galaxy devices qualify.

AJ

Then why is Sprint doing this for current/legacy Apple devices? That is where my confusion comes from.

Then why is Sprint doing this for current/legacy Apple devices? That is where my confusion comes from.

Who knows.  Market forces from customers raising cane?  Apple pushing Sprint?  (Too many people complained to Apple?)

For those who are deep in the know about the differences between the old USIMs and the CSIMs - were the USIMs more of a hack to get CDMA working or something and they couldn't unlock them domestically because the Sprint USIM was the only way register properly on CDMA (and messed with domestic SIM usage)?  What makes USIM devices harder to unlock than CSIM ones?  As I recall, Sprint used a USIM in their iPhone 5, and VZW used a CSIM.  

At this point, only Sprint and Apple know, I guess.

The iTunes activation server system adds a whole new wrinkle that is not present with the other mobile OS devices.

AJ

Who knows.  Market forces from customers raising cane?  Apple pushing Sprint?  (Too many people complained to Apple?)

For those who are deep in the know about the differences between the old USIMs and the CSIMs - were the USIMs more of a hack to get CDMA working or something and they couldn't unlock them domestically because the Sprint USIM was the only way register properly on CDMA (and messed with domestic SIM usage)?  What makes USIM devices harder to unlock than CSIM ones?  As I recall, Sprint used a USIM in their iPhone 5, and VZW used a CSIM.  

At this point, only Sprint and Apple know, I guess.

USIM is required on UICCs for UMTS systems (WCDMA, TD-SCDMA, TD-WCDMA, and LTE). It also provides interfaces for authenticating GSM. CSIM is an optional program for UICCs that enables authentication on CDMA2000 systems.

A third one, ISIM, is required on UICCs for authentication with IMS subsystem on UMTS systems.

Sprint's UICCs lack the ISIM program today. Most of the UICCs also lack the CSIM program, too.

• Like 3

USIM is required on UICCs for UMTS systems (WCDMA, TD-SCDMA, TD-WCDMA, and LTE). It also provides interfaces for authenticating GSM. CSIM is an optional program for UICCs that enables authentication on CDMA2000 systems.

A third one, ISIM, is required on UICCs for authentication with IMS subsystem on UMTS systems.

Sprint's UICCs lack the ISIM program today. Most of the UICCs also lack the CSIM program, too.

Thanks for the explanation!

So, what about the iPhone 4S and 5S UICCs is different than the latter ones? I think I was getting to that question in a roundabout way. Did Sprint have Apple embed the CDMA auth just inside the phone (completely off of the UICC) or something? Is this why those are likely not unlockable? The Sprint Carrier bundle/firmware on a 4S/5 is looking for primary auth to come internally and the SIM only for international use?

Thanks for the explanation!

So, what about the iPhone 4S and 5S UICCs is different than the latter ones? I think I was getting to that question in a roundabout way. Did Sprint have Apple embed the CDMA auth just inside the phone (completely off of the UICC) or something? Is this why those are likely not unlockable? The Sprint Carrier bundle/firmware on a 4S/5 is looking for primary auth to come internally and the SIM only for international use?

Yes. CDMA authentication on all Sprint LTE phones utilize the E-UIM (embedded user identity module) that is mandated for the CDMA2000 system. To date, the only carrier in the United States that uses the CSIM instead of the E-UIM is Verizon Wireless, and that's only for 4G devices. Non-4G devices still use the E-UIM, as they aren't intended to be portable. However, like Sprint, Verizon's CSIM registration is tied to the IMEI+MEID whitelist, so it's functionally useless for portability.

Sprint UICCs (SIM cards) in iPhone 4S and up contain only a USIM program. The variant used in the iPhone 5 and up have the USIM program updated to connect to its LTE network.

I follow Slick Deals... did any of you see this thread on here?

http://slickdeals.net/f/7642912-sprint-unlocking-its-iphones-for-use-with-any-sim?v=1

Apparently, some of the people asking for an unlock for 4S/5 units are getting domestic ones too, whether intentional or not.  One guy even posted pictures.  Seems like multiple confirmations, too.

• Like 1

I follow Slick Deals... did any of you see this thread on here?

http://slickdeals.net/f/7642912-sprint-unlocking-its-iphones-for-use-with-any-sim?v=1

Apparently, some of the people asking for an unlock for 4S/5 units are getting domestic ones too, whether intentional or not. One guy even posted pictures. Seems like multiple confirmations, too.

I call bull. I've been calling Sprint every day since the 11th, and multiple reps have repeatedly told me they can't do anything until the 19th. I just got done speaking to the nicest csr ever. She told me they literally have no software to do the iPhone DSU. She said this "magical, mystic" program is supposed to appear on the 19th, and to check the Sprint unlocking policy page on the 19th to see if it sticks, or gets pushed back.

Edit: plus, it's impossible to DSU a 4s/5. Maybe they can be flashed to page plus or something? But DSU? Forget about it. The technology just isn't there.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

I call bull. I've been calling Sprint every day since the 11th, and multiple reps have repeatedly told me they can't do anything until the 19th. I just got done speaking to the nicest csr ever. She told me they literally have no software to do the iPhone DSU. She said this "magical, mystic" program is supposed to appear on the 19th, and to check the Sprint unlocking policy page on the 19th to see if it sticks, or gets pushed back.

Edit: plus, it's impossible to DSU a 4s/5. Maybe they can be flashed to page plus or something? But DSU? Forget about it. The technology just isn't there.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

Note, these were for 4S/5 unlocks.  Not 5C/5S/6/6+ ones.  People were getting Sprint to internationally unlock their 4S and 5 units and were also somehow getting a domestic unlock on there.  Sprint does do international unlocks on those handsets, there's no "you have to wait until 2/19" for them.

Note, these were for 4S/5 unlocks.  Not 5C/5S/6/6+ ones.  People were getting Sprint to internationally unlock their 4S and 5 units and were also somehow getting a domestic unlock on there.  Sprint does do international unlocks on those handsets, there's no "you have to wait until 2/19" for them.

I can confirm! Just popped a T-Mobile SIM into my old iPhone 5 (I had it internationally unlocked last week) and I did get a T-Mobile HSPA+ connection. No LTE though. This is great!

• Like 2

Speeds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61a6ca17727704a5025f6c3c42aaabd0.jpg

Ouch. Good thing I'm not paying for this SIM haha. If I pop it in my LTE iPad I can get a LTE 2down/1up. Surprisingly bad for the middle of suburban Baltimore.

• Like 1

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/TMobile-Sprint-Not-Adhering-To-New-Unlocking-Guidelines-132680

Sprint/Tmobile not adhering to new unlocking guidelines...

Edit: I just looked at Sprint's unlocking page, it appears they now have military personnel policy included (and that it was just added today).

Edited by joshuam

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/TMobile-Sprint-Not-Adhering-To-New-Unlocking-Guidelines-132680

Sprint/Tmobile not adhering to new unlocking guidelines...

Edit: I just looked at Sprint's unlocking page, it appears they now have military personnel policy included (and that it was just added today).

The military personal policy has been there since they updated the page on 2/11.

• Like 1

The military personal policy has been there since they updated the page on 2/11.

Apparently the one unlock every 12 months is the issue, which I tend to agree with them on.

Agree with whom?

Certain limitations should be put in place to prevent or curtail abuse -- because military service personnel have special legal rights in canceling contracts freely without penalties.  

AJ

Agree with whom?

Certain limitations should be put in place to prevent or curtail abuse -- because military service personnel have special legal rights in canceling contracts freely without penalties.  

AJ

I agree with the original, original author's post about how it isn't clear what Sprint would do if the phone is damaged while deployed. I also certainly agree about fraud protection and think there is a better way to mitigate that. Either flag their account for overuse or limit to once a month/quarter.

The one unlock every 12 months isn't enforced: I've unlocked 5 devices in the past two weeks. Technically those were international unlocks but the rule supposedly applies to international too.

• Like 1

The one unlock every 12 months isn't enforced: I've unlocked 5 devices in the past two weeks. Technically those were international unlocks but the rule supposedly applies to international too.

We had 3 iPhones unlocked internationally in 5 minutes. It's not enforced much.

-Anthony

• Like 1

PHhQ23pm.jpg

Put an inactive VZW SIM in my old "internationally" unlocked iPhone 5 and it started taking me through an activation process. Not sure if it would work, interesting though.

EDIT: (Fixed image size)

Was it a Sprint-branded iPhone 5?

Sent from my iPhone 6+

Does this mean that we can unlock our Sprint phones and use them with another major carrier now?  Sprint has not been compliant with this in the past.  I am hoping this new policy means that we can use Sprint phones on Verizon, AT&T and Tmobile.