Apple event Oct 16th, new iPads likely

nobius

If this is true I may get the LTE version.

http://engt.co/1rgb06u

How long before Apple becomes an MVNO of all 4 US providers and dynamically changes your provider for best connectivity and speed? Or the cheapest one?

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 2

The only thing holding me back from buying a cellular version iPad is the tablet data/ plan options. I personally don't understand why Sprint doesn't offer an unlimited plan on tablets, I feel both tablets and phones will use the same amount of data.

Now if sprint can offer an iPad for life program with unlimited data or 10gbs for a reasonable cost then I will probably get one other than that I'll just buy the wifi version.

I highly doubt tablets and phones would use the same amount of data if both given unlimited plans. Tablets would be more likely to be used for streaming video which is where the bulk of data use ends up for most people.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

So, the only gains for the iPad mini 3 are Touch ID and new finish colors?  Is that really all?  Bwahaha!  I am glad I bought my iPad mini 2 both on sale and with Reward Zone certificates six months ago.  Makes me look smart.

AJ

Touch ID is a pretty cool feature, but not worth the $100 premium. As an aside, if you would have waited to buy your iPad Mini 2 until today, you'd of saved $100... and if you wanted to buy a regular iPad Mini (non-retina), you'd of saved $150. Go home, Apple. You're drunk!

• Like 1

Being able to switch freely among carriers is going to be awesome.  I love my Sprint coverage, but right now only AT&T gets coverage at my parents and grandmother's.  

It's the first iPad that I'm considering getting a cellular option for; my problem, though, is that I usually keep my iPads for a year and then sell them to buy the new iPad.

I think I may sit out a generation on this and buy a Mac Mini for the family instead. Provided they're able to have the RAM and HD yanked and replaced. 

These new iPads and lower prices on last year's models have created some pretty decent deals on refurb iPads sold by Apple. Refurbs from Apple are usually indistinguishable from new, have a full 1 year warranty from Apple, and a brand new battery and shell.

iPad mini 2s starting at $249 for 16GB, $299 for 32GB, $349 for 64GB, $439 for 128GB (+$100 for LTE)

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad/ipad_mini_retina

iPad Airs starting at $339 for 16GB, $389 for 32GB, $439 for 64GB, $529 for 128GB (+$100 for LTE)

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad/ipad_air

Touch ID is a pretty cool feature, but not worth the $100 premium. As an aside, if you would have waited to buy your iPad Mini 2 until today, you'd of saved $100... and if you wanted to buy a regular iPad Mini (non-retina), you'd of saved $150. Go home, Apple. You're drunk!

If had waited until today, I would have cost myself six months.  That time in my life is more valuable than $100.  Besides, I bought my iPad mini 2 (at least, that is what it is being called now) at $399 minus $40 in Best Buy rewards certificates.  Then, I got a $40 price adjustment due to a 10 percent off sale a week later.  Because I am a high roller, a Best Buy Elite Plus customer, I also earned 450 rewards points, which equate to about $10.  And through my credit card, I also accrued at least 720 rewards points, which amount to $7.20.  Thus, final net cost was almost exactly $300.

AJ

• Like 2

I would get the iPad mini 2 with retina display in a heart beat over the iPad air 2 and the iPad mini 3. I can not see the value in anything else.

In fact...I have a 4th gen iPad 4 and I am considering selling it and getting the iPad mini retina 2....

This is so stupid. I just convinced 3 people not to get the iPad mini 3 because its essentially a waste of money for a sensor that costs apple like 7 bucks. The exact same innards, for $100 more before tax. HA. no....

• Like 1

I wonder what the likelihood is of the iPhone 6+ eventually killing off the iPad mini.  

Looking at the buying process of the iPA2, it's nice to not have to choose the cell provider anymore. Still not sure if I'll get the wifi-only or the LTE version.  Decisions, decisions.

• Like 1

Its seem like instead of revamping the Tablet plans, Sprint is pushing everyone and everything towards family share plans, and with the Access waived its pretty decent. 

http://www.sprint.com/landings/ipad/ipad_why_sprint.html

Even if you only have 1 line, you're still placed on the Family Share.... It can be a totally separate plan from the Grandfathered plans many are on. So you can have a FS with just 1 iPad using it, While your phones are using your GF'd Max-Discount Framily Plan. Which is what I was hoping would be the case. This is much more simplistic and easy to understand... No more Phone plans vs. Tablet Plans vs. MiFi Plans. Everything under is FS... Except the singular device Unlimited plan. Which is a good simple caveat. I like plan structures that are in-your-face simple, not some jigsaw puzzle you need to study in order to figure out maximum saving for your usage and devices. 

I'll definitely be hitting this up..... 2 iPad Air 2s 64gb Space Gray, 16gb Silver... Will do 40$ 4 GB plan FS ,NVP discount will make it roughly 33$ a month. Keep my Phones on Framily, since I'm at the Max Discount and I have outside lines that are on my ID. 

Is there a website with the current carrier plans for day-to-day or month-to-month iPad plans you buy on the device without needing any contract?  I can't seem to find one that isn't pretty old.

I just hit submit on a 64GB iPad Air 2 w/ cellular. It will replace a 16GB WiFi iPad 2, so I think this should be a very nice upgrade in terms of performance. My frugal side was tempted to get an iPad Air 1, but I hope to get another 4+ years of service out of this device as the iPad 2 did for us.

I was really on the fence on spending over $100 for the cellular option. Like nobius above, this was compounded by having no clue how much the prepaid plans cost when using the Apple SIM (although, a very cool feature nonetheless) and that I have a Netgear Zing for mobile WiFi already. I've already been thinking about replacing the Zing with a Karma Go as we have months where we use 0 GB and others with heavy traveling where I wish we had more than 6 GB. Decisions Decisions!

Got $280 for a 32GB model. 

Ha. I wish I had a spare $280 laying around. I would buy that from you in 1 second. Should've sold my iPad 4th gen, but it's got applecare and I don't feel like going through the eBay or amazon process to sell it lol. It does the job just fine.Hopefully iOS 8.1 which I am installing on it will make it a little less laggy. 

• Like 1

Ha. I wish I had a spare $280 laying around. I would buy that from you in 1 second. Should've sold my iPad 4th gen, but it's got applecare and I don't feel like going through the eBay or amazon process to sell it lol. It does the job just fine.Hopefully iOS 8.1 which I am installing on it will make it a little less laggy. 

I didn't feel like using ebay/etc either.  I already have a $205 Apple gift card from when I sold my iPhone 5, so I'll be getting the iPA2 for almost nothing (at least that's what I'm telling my wife).

• Like 1

I just hit submit on a 64GB iPad Air 2 w/ cellular. It will replace a 16GB WiFi iPad 2, so I think this should be a very nice upgrade in terms of performance. My frugal side was tempted to get an iPad Air 1, but I hope to get another 4+ years of service out of this device as the iPad 2 did for us.

You did right getting the Air 2, since it offers Spark, where's the Air 1 doesn't... Still can't figure out why the Mini 3 excludes Spark. 

I just brought An Air 2 16gb and an Air 2 128gb, both Space Grey w/Cellular. Will get the 40$ 4gb Family Share plan just for the iPads, after my NVP should be about 33$ a month. Love that Sprint is waiving the Access Fees for now. 

I use a good bit of iPad data on my Commute to/from NYC, roughly ~2/2.5 gbs per month. My sister has Wifi everywhere at college, and most places she would use the iPad, but got her a Cellular iPad to have a fall back. 

So there were a lot of rumors of this, but iFixit just did a teardown of the iPA2 and confirmed that it has 2 GB RAM.  Finally!

Apparently it also has a NFC Chip that's not enabled now (but could be later via a Software Update). I've read speculation that it's for businesses who want to use their iPads as cash registers and still accept Apple Pay.

You did right getting the Air 2, since it offers Spark, where's the Air 1 doesn't... Still can't figure out why the Mini 3 excludes Spark. 

I just brought An Air 2 16gb and an Air 2 128gb, both Space Grey w/Cellular. Will get the 40$ 4gb Family Share plan just for the iPads, after my NVP should be about 33$ a month. Love that Sprint is waiving the Access Fees for now. 

I use a good bit of iPad data on my Commute to/from NYC, roughly ~2/2.5 gbs per month. My sister has Wifi everywhere at college, and most places she would use the iPad, but got her a Cellular iPad to have a fall back. 

Is there a comparison chart out there anywhere with the various types of tablet data plans for a la carte use? Doesn't T-Mobile offer 200MB free for life on new tablets?