Is there band 26 available in LA?

For all intents and purposes, higher frequency spectrum has no advantages over the lower frequencies. In fact, higher frequencies are at a disadvantage to lower frequencies. That's why there was such a fight over the 700 holdings, and such drooling over the supposed 600 auctions (that may or may not happen). The only reason Sprint is gung ho about it's 2.5GHz holdings is because it has so much of it. 

Do you know if they have rolled out the 8T8R antennas in LA? or whats the timeline for it?

Do you know if they have rolled out the 8T8R antennas in LA? or whats the timeline for it?

Yes and yes and can't speak of it in the public areas.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

For all intents and purposes, higher frequency spectrum has no advantages over the lower frequencies. In fact, higher frequencies are at a disadvantage to lower frequencies. That's why there was such a fight over the 700 holdings, and such drooling over the supposed 600 auctions (that may or may not happen). The only reason Sprint is gung ho about it's 2.5GHz holdings is because it has so much of it. 

I'd say Sprint having lots of high frequency spectrum is an advantage. The lower frequency spectrum was pretty booked up before cell phone use (especially mobile data on cell phones) became common, leaving less lower frequency spectrum to be able to be used for phones. Honestly, high frequency 2.5Ghz will be great since Sprint will have great cell spacing to handle the rapid increase in data usage. Verizon 700Mhz was getting very bad before AWS was fired up (I have a 700Mhz only phone still) because the cell spacing they used was low.

I'd say Sprint having lots of high frequency spectrum is an advantage. The lower frequency spectrum was pretty booked up before cell phone use (especially mobile data on cell phones) became common, leaving less lower frequency spectrum to be able to be used for phones. Honestly, high frequency 2.5Ghz will be great since Sprint will have great cell spacing to handle the rapid increase in data usage. Verizon 700Mhz was getting very bad before AWS was fired up (I have a 700Mhz only phone still) because the cell spacing they used was low.

No doubt that the amount of spectrum Sprint has is an advantage, that's not what I was saying. 

The question was what advantage does high frequency spectrum have over low frequency spectrum. Which when looking at the propagation characteristics, the answer is none. 

No doubt that the amount of spectrum Sprint has is an advantage, that's not what I was saying. 

The question was what advantage does high frequency spectrum have over low frequency spectrum. Which when looking at the propagation characteristics, the answer is none. 

Very true. I can compare Houston to LA. Band 26 is deployed in Houston and allows the phone to have a persistent LTE connection without dropping to 3g or 1x constantly, which happens quite often in LA as I have not noticed any band 26 here yet. It is frustrating as Sprint advertises LA as a triband city but this is completely false.  Without the band 26, there is no point for VoLTE. 

Very true. I can compare Houston to LA. Band 26 is deployed in Houston and allows the phone to have a persistent LTE connection without dropping to 3g or 1x constantly, which happens quite often in LA as I have not noticed any band 26 here yet. It is frustrating as Sprint advertises LA as a triband city but this is completely false. Without the band 26, there is no point for VoLTE.

No. Sprint advertises Los Angeles as a spark city. The requirement to be announced for sprint spark is band 41.

That's not entirely true, when you have very dense cell sites, higher frequency spectrum is adventaegous because it's easier to reuse without running into interfence issues. The very things that make lower frequency great for improving coverage also make it a pain when it comes to interference with neighboring cell sites.

No. Sprint advertises Los Angeles as a spark city. The requirement to be announced for sprint spark is band 41.

Isn't spark advertised as triband LTE?

i think thats how they defined spark by combining three different bands to....

Isn't spark advertised as triband LTE?

i think thats how they defined spark by combining three different bands to....

''sprint spark'' is band 41. In order to have a market be announced for spark band 41 is required as the advertisements States speeds up to 50 Mbps which only band 41 can do.

The other marketing thing is using spark as a catchall phrase to describe the network being smart and automatically pushing people to different sites and frequencies to get the best possible experience.

• Like 1

''sprint spark'' is band 41. In order to have a market be announced for spark band 41 is required as the advertisements States speeds up to 50 Mbps which only band 41 can do.

The other marketing thing is using spark as a catchall phrase to describe the network being smart and automatically pushing people to different sites and frequencies to get the best possible experience.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/presskits/sprint-spark.htm

Straight from Sprint

How Sprint Spark Works

Sprint Spark combines 4G FDD-LTE at 800 Megahertz (MHz) and 1.9 Gigahertz (GHz) and TDD-LTE at 2.5GHz spectrum. Sprint Spark’s spectrum assets, technology and architecture are designed to deliver a seamless customer experience via tri-band wireless devices. Tri-band devices, named for their ability to accommodate multiple spectrum bands, support active hand-off mode between 800MHz, 1.9GHz and 2.5GHz, providing data session continuity as the device moves between spectrum bands. 

​By this definition, customer infers that a spark city is using the three different bands as it says it combines the three different bands. so it is false advertising indeed 

​By this definition, customer infers that a spark city is using the three different bands as it says it combines the three different bands. so it is false advertising indeed 

Uh, no.  On the coverage maps, Spark has no relation to band 25/26 LTE.  It refers only to band 41 TD-LTE.  And it is not false advertising.  Coverage is not available everywhere -- that is the standard disclaimer.

AJ

• Like 6

Very true. I can compare Houston to LA. Band 26 is deployed in Houston and allows the phone to have a persistent LTE connection without dropping to 3g or 1x constantly, which happens quite often in LA as I have not noticed any band 26 here yet. It is frustrating as Sprint advertises LA as a triband city but this is completely false.  Without the band 26, there is no point for VoLTE. 

My iPhone 5S on Sprint drops to 3G or 1x constantly while my iPad Air on T-Mobile stays on LTE almost everywhere I go.  T-Mobile doesn't have low frequencies in LA either, so I think something else is wrong with Sprint's LTE.

Uh, no.  On the coverage maps, Spark has no relation to band 25/26 LTE.  It refers only to band 41 TD-LTE.  And it is not false advertising.  Coverage is not available everywhere -- that is the standard disclaimer.

AJ

how much do i have to donate to gain access to tower related information. I would like to learn about the specific details and work that is being done around the towers around me. Details such as what work is being done around me. can you guys tell me how much I have to pay to gain such access?

My iPhone 5S on Sprint drops to 3G or 1x constantly while my iPad Air on T-Mobile stays on LTE almost everywhere I go.  T-Mobile doesn't have low frequencies in LA either, so I think something else is wrong with Sprint's LTE.

Having access to band 41 helps a ton.  My triband phone is mostly connected to LTE.

• Like 1

how much do i have to donate to gain access to tower related information. I would like to learn about the specific details and work that is being done around the towers around me. Details such as what work is being done around me. can you guys tell me how much I have to pay to gain such access?

There is no specific amount you have to pay. Just make a donation, and you will get access to maps showing the current 3g/LTE/CDMA800 status of nearly all Sprint towers.

You can also ask questions in the Houston market thread here:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1098-network-visionlte-houston-market/

I'm sure some members local to your area would love to help answer questions.