Knox tripped and Sprints response?

DaQue

OK, does Sprint 100% turn you down for warranty repair if Knox is tripped? Even if its a hardware problem like a bad screen? What if your paying the extra ($11?) per month for insurance? They were good about replacing an unlocked EVO on a custom ROM a few years ago when they could have rejected my warranty claim. I'm thinking about a Note 4 and not upset to speed on all things Knox because I have been on a Nexus 5 since about the time Knox debuted. Sorry about the OP. The boss jumped me for texting before I could edit my post. I have a problem, when I read something I just typed I see what I thought I wrote. I have to wait a couple minutes to see the mistakes.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I thought Knox was just some Samsung anti-warranty deal for people who flash roms?

edit: As far I know Knox will be on the Note 4 and also most companies plain don't care. T-Mobile and Sprint both seem to take Knox tripped devices on insurance. You will have to pay the normal deductible etc. Basically you lose your manufacturers warranty but who cares if you have insurance, I guess?

OK, does Sprint 100% turn you down for warranty repair if Knox is tripped? Even if its a hardware problem like a bad screen? What if your paying the extra ($11?) per month for insurance? They were good about replacing an unlocked EVO on a custom ROM a few years ago when they could have rejected my warranty claim. I'm thinking about a Note 4 and not upset to speed on all things Knox because I have been on a Nexus 5 since about the time Knox debuted. Sorry about the OP. The boss jumped me for texting before I could edit my post. I have a problem, when I read something I just typed I see what I thought I wrote. I have to wait a couple minutes to see the mistakes.

Knox is used in regards to the manufacturer warranty (to Samsung) against defects etc. Sprint should not turn you down for insurance repair (you may have to pay the normal deductible) if you have Knox tripped. I have never made a claim but honestly I don't think there is a big issue. T-Mobile allows tripped Knox phones even for the Jump program, etc. The only company that seems to care is Samsung and Samsung only.

Thank you.

It's still recommended on going back to stock if you have a custom ROM installed. Tripped KNOX could cause you issues, but if you're back to stock unrooted, you have a better chance of receiving help as only being rooted before, may not be a big issue.

Well I had a gs4 a year ago, and they never had any issues doing an advanced exchange at the Sprint store. And that was with custom Roms. If you go in with software glitches on a custom ROM, they will deny you most likely. But say if the charging port went out, they will careless about a custom ROM.

• 3 months later...

This is just a best practice tip. I have not messed with Knox much but I think you can mostly restore your phone to normal and the boot messages on seadroid and warrant bit set : kernel may go away.

How? Use an app called triangle away while rooted. Custom recovery/flash counter is reset. During the process you install a stock recovery and rom, following the instructions for your device. Phone should be restored to secure mode and the boot warning goes away.

I did not test it myself but this was the old method to restore your phone and have it be fully stock again, with hope to restore warrant status..

Knox is new since I started using custom Roms so I know little. But I believe if the counter is reset, and the warning goes away, they cannot tell as easily that you have rooted/used custom Roms.

Edited by wise

This thread will tell you everything you need to know about knox:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=45669362

Now heres what you need to know if you go to a Sprint Store:

1. Your only real protection from a bricked device regardless of any device is to have TEP- Pay the $11 a month and deal with it, its a small price to pay compared to the $600-800 out of pocket for new. TEP covers lost, stolen, and damaged devices, you have a claim cap per year to prevent fraud, but its good to have for a one time last resort option to pay a deductible and get a replacement handset.  Of course your other options are out there, you could do a squaretrade warranty, or other third party like a rider on your home/auto insurance, but in reality.. if you want to play with fire.. have a bucket of water nearby.

Knox trip warning is something you only need to worry about if you do a warranty claim direct with Samsung, The problem you are having is directly related to tripping knox- like you decided to flash the wrong bootloader and you have a black screen of death.  If all else fails and it gets to that point then play dumb and hope you get lucky but dont count on it.. Samsung direct wont help you.. 

Sprint's rooting policy is pretty lax, ASC ( Authorized Service Centers) will look at a phone if it is on their list of approved devices to work on. Usually if it is still in warranty they aren't serviceable by reps anyways. It really depends who you get, 99.999% of the customers they get are people who don't even know what a custom rom is. Most techs that will accept the device will just ODIN the stock TAR file back on the phone which will put everything back anyways- before they work on it.  TriangleAway will not fix Knox. It will only remove the bootloader modified message on older devices.

If you return/exchange a phone to a store, they ship back to warehouse for RMA Your normal rep for an exchange/return wants to make sure the phone isnt physically damaged, it powers on, and there aren't missing pieces to it, they may power it on to do a factory reset, but if you get a Note 4 and play with root, then decide you dont like it and want to get an iPhone within your 14 day exchange period you really don't have to worry.  The same applies if you do a "giveback" or "Buyback" when you go to upgrade.