Moto X 2014 (was "Motorola IHDT56QA1")

NateC

Battery testing for phones is in a weird spot right now. Suppose the most battery-draining things about my phone right now are straining for a data signal, and acdisplay for pseudo active notifications. The new Moto X has additional LTE bands and "true" active notifications. These features could result in significant improvements in battery life for me with identical usage, but it will not show up in a battery test which is cycling through web pages with full signal strength at x nits of brightness etc.

if moto was staying with google, I'd be all about this phone for myself and family, but there is too much unknown about how well legacy momo devices will be supported once lenovo takes over and starts designing their own devices.

if moto was staying with google, I'd be all about this phone for myself and family, but there is too much unknown about how well legacy momo devices will be supported once lenovo takes over and starts designing their own devices.

I'm excited for lenovo to take over. Assuming their phones are the same quality their thinkpad line up is.
  • Like 1

yeah, I am too a big fan of lenovo, I'm still using a thinkpad t60p (one of the last great laptops with a hi-rez non-widescreen panel) and my brother just bought a yoga 2 pro on my recommendation.

just standard anxiousness about the changing of the guard so to speak.

Yeah, I'm inclined to get this one too.

Robert

I'm with both of you.  I'm torn between this and the new iPhone (and the new Nexus IF it isn't 5.9" as rumored).  I don't know if I can give up the customization of Android though after having a Nexus 5. 

Probably will wait and see what the real life RF performances are of the devices...  and if USCC gets bought out by Sprint or becomes a RRPP member since their 10x10 B12 channel would be a great fallback in the rural areas around here! 

• Like 1

I'm with both of you.  I'm torn between this and the new iPhone (and the new Nexus IF it isn't 5.9" as rumored).  I don't know if I can give up the customization of Android though after having a Nexus 5. 

Probably will wait and see what the real life RF performances are of the devices...  and if USCC gets bought out by Sprint or becomes a RRPP member since their 10x10 B12 channel would be a great fallback in the rural areas around here! 

Yep. If the next Nexus ends up being a giant, I'll go with this.

I'm with both of you. I'm torn between this and the new iPhone (and the new Nexus IF it isn't 5.9" as rumored). I don't know if I can give up the customization of Android though after having a Nexus 5.

Probably will wait and see what the real life RF performances are of the devices... and if USCC gets bought out by Sprint or becomes a RRPP member since their 10x10 B12 channel would be a great fallback in the rural areas around here!

I don't live in an area that benefits from any of the RRPP bands...just the Big 4 here.

The only thing I'm skeptical about, though, is if I would like the pure android experience. I've had two HTCs and I really like the way Sense looks.

At least I am not the only one tempted by this phone... I'll be interested to see how much bloatware there is on it though.

Motorola has next to no bloatware of their own and Sprint has been shuttling their stuff all into a Sprint Zone thing and/or making it uninstallable. This should meet your expectations.

What advantages would this phone have for a Nexus 5 owner? Just better roaming support?

Yes. Maybe better reception overall, Moto talked a big game with their actively tuned antenna. Snapdragon 801 also has better battery performance over the 800 (I think largely due to baseband). You might like the material options and curved back, you might like the active notification features, you might like the amoled display.
  • Like 1

Probably will wait and see what the real life RF performances are of the devices... and if USCC gets bought out by Sprint or becomes a RRPP member since their 10x10 B12 channel would be a great fallback in the rural areas around here!

I would very much like to see these roaming agreements begin operating, and uscc support would be huge for when our family goes on trips to eastern North Carolina Edited by djw39

you might like the active notification features, 

I wonder if you can turn this off?  One of the biggest problems I have with iPhones (aside from the fact that they are made by Apply :-P ) is that notifications come on even when the screen is off.  I've never used one, but asked my sister why she always turned it upside when she set it down, and got scratches all over the screen protector.  And she said it's because the stuff pops up and if she's in a meeting at work or something she doesn't want people seeing her notifications.  How stupid that it can't be turned off!  (Unless maybe it can, and she never tried to.)

Any news come out on a Sprint version of the new X? I love Motorola phones, kinda want to wait for the new Nexus. Although I could get both..... but I'll pass on that. Kinda hoping that the Rf performance on the new Moto X is going to be a beast.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-373-teaser-x-marks-the-spot-for-the-first-sprint-ccarrpp-fully-compliant-handset/

• Like 1

I wonder if you can turn this off? One of the biggest problems I have with iPhones (aside from the fact that they are made by Apply :-P ) is that notifications come on even when the screen is off. I've never used one, but asked my sister why she always turned it upside when she set it down, and got scratches all over the screen protector. And she said it's because the stuff pops up and if she's in a meeting at work or something she doesn't want people seeing her notifications. How stupid that it can't be turned off! (Unless maybe it can, and she never tried to.)

Both Android and iOS will let you customize notifications and turn that stuff off. On the Moto X it will be a little different in that the whole screen doesn't need to turn on, so it won't be nearly as bright. I think they also give you a setting to snooze active notifications at night.

Thanks, must have missed that. Having no Internet at home sucks, you can only do so much with 3g haha. Now all I have to do is wait for a release date and some reviews on it.
  • Like 1

If a USCC roaming agreement happend will the Nexus 5 work or will I need to go to the new Motorola for that? I do a lot of traveling in rural Iowa so USCC would be huge for me personally.

If a USCC roaming agreement happend will the Nexus 5 work or will I need to go to the new Motorola for that? I do a lot of traveling in rural Iowa so USCC would be huge for me personally.

You'll be fine. USCC has band 5 cl850 overlaid over almost their entire lte footprint.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

n5 would work only if the roaming carrier was using sprints existing bands (ie 800/1900/2600).

the new motorola supports the non-sprint bands of the roaming carriers.

So really it depends on if uscc would lease/use any of sprints lte bands.

Ideally, sprint will be pushing a lot of rural carriers on to excess b41 spectrum (even if it is only 5 or 10 mhz worth) so that both sprint and roaming carriers can inter-share on that band.