Google Nexus 6 by Motorola (Was "Nexus X talk leaked?")

smorcy11

Do the released FCC docs show the lab RF performance? I'm getting the implication that the lab performance is poor?

They don't show poor. They show promising but everything comes down to real world testing. Not lab.

Do the released FCC docs show the lab RF performance? I'm getting the implication that the lab performance is poor?

Prima facie...

Band 2:  good performance (~25 dBm)

Band 4:  excellent performance (~26 dBm)

Band 5:  good performance (~19 dBm)

Band 12:  excellent performance (~21 dBm)

Band 13:  excellent performance (~22 dBm)

Band 17:  good performance (~20 dBm)

Band 25:  good performance (~25 dBm)

Band 26:  good performance (~19 dBm)

Band 41:  good performance (~25 dBm)

AJ

• Like 4

Prima facie...

Band 2: good performance (~25 dBm)

Band 4: excellent performance (~26 dBm)

Band 5: good performance (~19 dBm)

Band 12: excellent performance (~21 dBm)

Band 13: excellent performance (~22 dBm)

Band 17: good performance (~20 dBm)

Band 25: good performance (~25 dBm)

Band 26: good performance (~19 dBm)

Band 41: good performance (~25 dBm)

AJ

Interesting that 12 and 17 aren't both listed the same.

Interesting that 12 and 17 aren't both listed the same.

Nope, there are modest RF output discrepancies between band 2 and band 25, band 12 and band 17, and band 5 and band 26.

AJ

Nope, there are modest RF output discrepancies between band 2 and band 25, band 12 and band 17, and band 5 and band 26.

AJ

Wow.. With that bad of a test report then the real world tests will be interesting.

Edit.. As in the fcc should have done a better job.

Wow.. With that bad of a test report then the real world tests will be interesting.

Edit.. As in the fcc should have done a better job.

I am not sure what you mean.  The FCC does not conduct the testing.  Certified labs submit the authorizations.

AJ

They signed off on it and put it on their site. Their problem.

How is it a "problem"?  Not for the FCC.

AJ

Prima facie...

Band 2: good performance (~25 dBm)

Band 4: excellent performance (~26 dBm)

Band 5: good performance (~19 dBm)

Band 12: excellent performance (~21 dBm)

Band 13: excellent performance (~22 dBm)

Band 17: good performance (~20 dBm)

Band 25: good performance (~25 dBm)

Band 26: good performance (~19 dBm)

Band 41: good performance (~25 dBm)

AJ

Does anyone know how these numbers compare to the Nexus 5 numbers?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Does anyone know how these numbers compare to the Nexus 5 numbers?

Yes, someone knows.

AJ

The Moto X does have a Motorola-designed antenna tuning system that measures capacitance across the antenna/antennae. My understanding is that their implementation has twin benefits: first to optimize the antenna's Standing Wave Ratio (SWR) over a wide range of bands and secondly to counteract "death grip". See:

http://anandtech.com/show/8491/the-new-moto-x-intial-impressions-and-hands-on/2

http://anandtech.com/show/8523/the-new-motorola-moto-x-2014-review

Whether or not the same is implemented on the nexus 6 will likely have to wait for a tear down. Because the N6 and X(2014) share antenna designs, my bet is that it too will have a similar tuning system.

• Like 1

Does any of you know if Sprint will be carrying the 32 and 64 GB version?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Anyone correct me if I am wrong, you can activate either the 16 or 32 Nexus 5 on Sprint. So my thought is that both sizes of the Nexus 6 will also work on Sprint. The way I understand it is that each Nexus 5 and 6 is not locked to a particular carrier, but can be used on anyone of them. Note, i believe Verizon passed on the Nexus 5.

Anyone correct me if I am wrong, you can activate either the 16 or 32 Nexus 5 on Sprint. So my thought is that both sizes of the Nexus 6 will also work on Sprint. The way I understand it is that each Nexus 5 and 6 is not locked to a particular carrier, but can be used on anyone of them. Note, i believe Verizon passed on the Nexus 5.

Any model you buy from the play store will work on Sprint. Last year when I purchased my nexus 5 from Sprint they only carried the 16Gb black model.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

Any model you buy from the play store will work on Sprint. Last year when I purchased my nexus 5 from Sprint they only carried the 16Gb black model.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I now understand your question. I doubt that Sprint will carry the 64 u less they saw a large number of the 32 brought in to be activated. I believe that they attempt to err on the side of caution. Better to have minimal stock instead of a surplus of phones.
  • Like 1

I now understand your question. I doubt that Sprint will carry the 64 u less they saw a large number of the 32 brought in to be activated. I believe that they attempt to err on the side of caution. Better to have minimal stock instead of a surplus of phones.

I want to get a 64gb but I don't want to pay $700 from the play store because of my money at the moment. I'm hoping sprint will carry the 64gb so I can purchase it on easy pay.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

I want to get a 64gb but I don't want to pay $700 from the play store because of my money at the moment. I'm hoping sprint will carry the 64gb so I can purchase it on easy pay.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I'm really hoping we will know when Sprint is planning on directly offering the phone and with which options before the preorder on the Play store go's live.

• Like 1

After, playing around with the Moto X 2014 at the AT$T store. I'm definitely sold on the Nexus 6. I love the screen, the design, and the soft touch material on the back. So I know that the Nexus 6 will be a great device. Maybe I can ditch my tablets once I pick up the Nexus 6.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

After, playing around with the Moto X 2014 at the AT$T store. I'm definitely sold on the Nexus 6. I love the screen, the design, and the soft touch material on the back. So I know that the Nexus 6 will be a great device. Maybe I can ditch my tablets once I pick up the Nexus 6.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I'm pretty sure I want the 64 GB version.  I'm glad to hear your impressions of the 2014 Moto X were so favorable.  I'm just a little hesitant to order on the 29th as I would like to see how it goes for the early adopters.  :)

Is anyone going to place their order on the 29th?