Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

5 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

https://www.fiercetelecom.com/telecom/sprint-rebuilds-federal-public-sector-market-presence-taps-felix-to-lead-new-division

I’m glad to see Sprint refocusing on the Federal Sector, and tapping an experienced leader for the initiative.

Chris Felix will be the VP of government solutions and lead the effort. He has 27 years in the telecom industry, including several years at Verizon!

“Prior to coming to Sprint, Felix served as the VP of federal government sales for Verizon Wireless. During his three-year tenure leading Verizon Wireless’ federal efforts, Felix established contracts with several federal civilian and defense agencies, including the FBI, Secret Service, GSA, the Department of Commerce and the Department of Defense.”

Time for Sprint’s DC/MD/VA Network to get some CapEx!

its also time for the new jersey network to get some cash pumped into it! and also i hope sprint continues on a upward trend.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, danlodish345 said:

its also time for the new jersey network to get some cash pumped into it! and also i hope sprint continues on a upward trend.

I agree. I spent some time in Passaic and East Rutherford a few weeks ago and seemed like the network performance reflected either overloaded Band 25 or fast Band 41. That area needs some attention for sure.

I agree. I spent some time in Passaic and East Rutherford a few weeks ago and seemed like the network performance reflected either overloaded Band 25 or fast Band 41. That area needs some attention for sure.
Where my parents live there is quite a few holes where there's only 3-g service. But with proper deployment and the money Sprint is going to start making due to saving on the taxes Sprint can easily and quickly patch it I know it's possible.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RedSpark said:

Looks like Marcelo recently met with Ajit Pai, FCC Chairman of the FCC:

https://ecfsapi.fcc.gov/file/1020841294284/Ex parte 020618 Pai.pdf

Hopefully the FCC can accelerate the 800 MHz rebanding process so that Sprint can finally put this chapter behind it.

"For example, Sprint noted that it had recently received tribal review fee demands totaling $90,000 to review antenna modifications at six sites in Chicago." 

Could someone please explain if this means that Native American tribes, which have no legal presence in Illinois, are somehow holding up the approval process.  Or, is this a mis-print?  Very puzzled!

4 hours ago, tommym65 said:

"For example, Sprint noted that it had recently received tribal review fee demands totaling $90,000 to review antenna modifications at six sites in Chicago." 

Could someone please explain if this means that Native American tribes, which have no legal presence in Illinois, are somehow holding up the approval process.  Or, is this a mis-print?  Very puzzled!

I don't know if it's the case in this specific Chicago instance, but I have seen instances in other cities that one of the approval agencies is a Minority Stakeholder Group or Groups.  They can often charge review fees and impact fees and slow the approval process. That is what I was imagining was happening when I heard about the Chicago instance referenced by Sprint. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tommym65 said:

5 minutes ago, S4GRU said:

I don't know if it's the case in this specific Chicago instance, but I have seen instances in other cities that one of the approval agencies is a Minority Stakeholder Group or Groups.  They can often charge review fees and impact fees and slow the approval process. That is what I was imagining was happening when I heard about the Chicago instance referenced by Sprint. 

This seems relevent. It's not specifically about Chicago, but I'd imagine the situation is similar.

"Sprint’s concern was, and continues to be, that the tribal historic review process under the National Historic Preservation Act [NHPA] imposes excessive costs and delays on wireless deployment with few corresponding benefits.”  

"Under the FCC’s implementation of NHPA, the carrier must consult with any Tribal Nation that expresses interest in projects in a particular county or state, even when the construction of the wireless support structure and antenna will occur on private property or property owned by the government, and not on tribal lands. The fees ranged from $200 to the Tonkawa Tribe to $1,500 to the Kiowa Indian Tribe of Oklahoma."

Sprint Tells FCC: Tribal Siting Costs Are Rising Quickly

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, derrph said:

Sprint needs to get the rest of its sites upgraded with Band 41, and it needs to densify. I can understand where this test result is coming from as of the last count that I recall as released by Sprint, 50% of Sprint’s sites didn’t have Band 41 on them. In DC, it’s obvious where Sprint has made improvements and where it hasn’t yet. From my Rootmetrics Speed Tests, I’ve seen Sprint’s download Speeds range from 115 Mbps to 1.5 Mbps by merely going 20-30 blocks over to the other side of town. When the speeds I get are slow, I report it in My Sprint, but these slower speeds are not a surprise to me when I look at the S4GRU tower maps. The network is swamped from the massive growth of DC’s population in newly redeveloped areas of town and the network can’t keep up.

Hopefully, this upgrade/build goes quickly and Sprint does better on the next go around.

• Like 4

Does anyone know the manufacturer of the new 64x64 antenna? All I can find is KMW and they do not respond to email.  

Samsung, Ericsson, Nokia. They're not finalized and commercially available.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, RedSpark said:

My extended family lives in Fair Lawn and I boggle at how spotty the service is there.  While the WiFi in the house makes it a bit of a non-issue, I sit on 1X in my grandmother's house, for example.  T-Mobile built a flagpole tower down the street and even that doesn't do well for some reason.  It's very odd.  Only Verizon is decent, and that's only because they appear have a small cell around there that I can't find.

Good news, of course, is that it's an Altice area, so I assume we'll see strand-mount equipment pop up at some point.  That should help greatly.

- Trip

• Like 4

..."... the carrier must consult with any Tribal Nation that expresses interest in projects in a particular county or state, even when the construction of the wireless support structure and antenna will occur on private property or property owned by the government, and not on tribal lands. ..."

Say what?! Even when the construction is NOT on tribal lands? That's nuts! Maybe edge cases like adjacent to their lands, but I'm guessing there isn't that much common sense applied.. :/

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Trip said:

My extended family lives in Fair Lawn and I boggle at how spotty the service is there.  While the WiFi in the house makes it a bit of a non-issue, I sit on 1X in my grandmother's house, for example.  T-Mobile built a flagpole tower down the street and even that doesn't do well for some reason.  It's very odd.  Only Verizon is decent, and that's only because they appear have a small cell around there that I can't find.

Good news, of course, is that it's an Altice area, so I assume we'll see strand-mount equipment pop up at some point.  That should help greatly.

- Trip

Yeah, it’ll be interesting to see how quickly this strand-mount equipment gets installed and lit up.

I wish Sprint could make a similar deal here in DC with RCN. (I don’t think Comcast would ever go for it given its arrangement with Verizon.) Otherwise, I think we’re stuck going through the traditional tower build/small cell process for densification: https://octo.dc.gov/page/small-cells

Sprint has quite a few towers to upgrade around here to full Triband with Band 41. Perhaps that upgrade process doesn’t require as much of a permit process.

• Like 1

And another interesting note, Sprint is 36 billion in debt with 4.4 billion in cash reserves, Verizon is 117 billion in debt with only 2 billion in cash reserves with at&1 156 billion with 50 billion in reserves and t-mobile  30 billion in debt with 1.6 billion in reserves. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, kg4icg said:

And another interesting note, Sprint is 36 billion in debt with 4.4 billion in cash reserves, Verizon is 117 billion in debt with only 2 billion in cash reserves with at&1 156 billion with 50 billion in reserves and t-mobile  30 billion in debt with 1.6 billion in reserves. 

I saw the debt load and available cash for Verizon and was shocked.  With that in mind, I would believe Sprint should be able to deploy first and get further ahead on their 5G network.  Hopefully this will propel Sprint in to a hefty #2 spot.

• Like 4

Where is the spectrum  Tmobile will use for 5G? I mean they keep using that B.S that a 10x10, 15x15 600mhz will allow them to launch a nationwide rollout of the tech. I have heard from many people that you will need 100mhz of spectrum alone to deploy a fast, reliable and low latency 5G network. Sprint can do that on their 2.5Gz  and Verizon on MMWave holdings.

Where is the spectrum  Tmobile will use for 5G? I mean they keep using that B.S that a 10x10, 15x15 600mhz will allow them to launch a nationwide rollout of the tech. I have heard from many people that you will need 100mhz of spectrum alone to deploy a fast, reliable and low latency 5G network. Sprint can do that on their 2.5Gz  and Verizon on MMWave holdings.

They also bought 20x20 in some areas. I see your point. It will likely be the laa and whatever higher band spectrum there is.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, SprintNYC said:

lol T-Mobile is full of hot air...and they brag that they have more spectrum per person then all the other carriers lol. typical T-Mobile... its Obvious Sprint and Verizon are the two best suited for 5G deployment. 

lol T-Mobile is full of hot air...and they brag that they have more spectrum per person then all the other carriers lol. typical T-Mobile... its Obvious Sprint and Verizon are the two best suited for 5G deployment. 

For LTE Tmobile is the only carrier with two wideband carriers in Alot of areas, accept ny where vzw has 2 20x20 carrier's.

Just now, Tengen31 said:

For LTE Tmobile is the only carrier with two wideband carriers accept ny where vzw has 2 20x20 carrier's.

i have T-mobile..Sprint Verizon and AT&T....And T-Mobile has decent LTE coverage and speeds are fine..but Sprint And verizon take the cake with LTE Speed and verizon definitely has the better service....but Sprint definitely needs some more density here and expanded lte service and tower build out...AT&T here is a mixed bag...

Wow! Bids already awarded in 5 states and work is already underway. There’s a renewed faith in Sprint especially since there’s major evidence work is being done. I really hope Sprint kicks ass this year and gets the LTE network together(coverage similar to or slightly larger than AT&T) and bash some heads and compete head to head with Verizon with 5G.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

2 hours ago, derrph said:

Wow! Bids already awarded in 5 states and work is already underway. There’s a renewed faith in Sprint especially since there’s major evidence work is being done. I really hope Sprint kicks ass this year and gets the LTE network together(coverage similar to or slightly larger than AT&T) and bash some heads and compete head to head with Verizon with 5G.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imagine if Son had actually let Sprint spend some money to get their network in order while pursuing the T-Tmobile merger. 

• Like 1