Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

1 hour ago, derrph said:

Hmm I don’t know how I feel about this but I’m definitely wanting to hear Sprints stance on this. So far they’ve been pretty much in agreement with government changes. I would think with a government built network, it would decrease competition and carrier profit. I do think 5G is hyped up more than what it is and we still haven’t hit maturity peak with 4G.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm all for such a thing if the government doesn't spy on every single thing we do with the cell phones. That's one of my main concerns is the security. I mean if they could fill in a lot of coverage gaps like out in the Midwest for example I'm all for such a thing.

The density that 5G requires (especially using mm wave spectrum) from a profit standpoint is looking like a tough sell. Giving big corps less incentive to build out in less POP dense markets. 

So somethings gotta give, maybe let the carriers handle the cities and suburbs with a certain level of POP and let government build carrier agnostic network in rural and interstate highways.

• Like 1

If my work with Government is any indicator, keep them out of wireless networks. As someone previously stated, they are way to slow at making a decision. A great example is a couple years ago we needed to upgrade some hardware for a clients cctv system. This client is a government entity and they had to go through the IT department. It took like 18 months to approve something this miniscule. I could easily see the federal government taking even longer to create a national standard. While the idea is enticing, I believe it would hurt our country overall. Besides, you would greatly hurt competition if the government paid and built it.

• Like 3

Just to be clear, the work would still be done by the industry leaders, just subsidized by the government. Since 5G realistically is at least 3-5 years away from meaningful deployment, now would be the time to get this sorted out.

Sprint Tops the Podium at the 2018 Winter Games for the Best FREE High-Speed Data Option

OVERLAND PARK, Kan., Jan. 29, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Sprint (NYSE: S) wants customers traveling to South Korea for the 2018 Winter Games to share this amazing experience with their family and friends worry-free! Sprint customers will not run out of high-speed data nor will they suffer bill shock when returning home. With Sprint, customers don’t need to plan for international travel. It simply works around the world when they need it.

"Sprint continues to lead the competition by providing customers free international text and data in more places around the world than any competitor and offers the best options for high-speed data," said Roger Solé, Sprint chief marketing officer. "We want customers heading to South Korea to have the most memorable experience and the ability to capture those moments and share with their loved ones without changing plans, fearing excessive data charges or suffering data caps."

International service is included with all Sprint plans, and customers can stay connected with international texting and basic data coverage in more than 185 international destinations, more than any other U.S. carrier. And with Sprint, customers have the best options for fast data with great rates for one-day or one-week high-speed passes accessible on-the-fly while traveling with just a few simple clicks from their smartphone.

During the Winter Games, speed and staying connected is important. Sprint is giving fast data, voice and text to customers traveling to South Korea for free throughout the games Feb. 1 through March 18. Sprint makes international service simple and worry-free.

Customers can learn more about Sprint Global Roaming and the more than 185 featured destinations that are included in the industry’s largest low-cost service area by visiting www.sprint.com/globalroaming, a Sprint store or calling 1-800-SPRINT1.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nexgencpu said:

HAHA, I don't know how I would feel to be on the same side of Ajit Pai on anything..

He has been pretty much right on everything, especially on the end of net neutrality that has resulted in the death of billions and the end of the internet as predicted by the people sending death threats to who kids. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am all for it whether it is built by the government or a consortium of the companies themselves. There is way too much duplication and overlap among the companies and you know who ultimately pays for it. 

7 minutes ago, utiz4321 said:

He has been pretty much right on everything, especially on the end of net neutrality that has resulted in the death of billions and the end of the internet as predicted by the people sending death threats to who kids. 

In my opinion, as dishearting as it is, companies that will take advantage of net neutralities death are waiting for the dust to settle before sticking it to the consumer. 

Those death threats are just delaying the inevitable.

Just now, nexgencpu said:

In my opinion, as dishearting as it is, companies that will take advantage of net neutralities death are waiting for the dust to settle before sticking it to the consumer. 

And it wont be a bad thing. The worst thing you can do to the wireless industry is turn it into a utility. How innovative has your power company been over the last 80 years? Far, far less than the wireless industry has been in the last 10. 

The inter net went back to the rules and regulations of mid 2015, that was no dark age.  

6 minutes ago, utiz4321 said:

And it wont be a bad thing. The worst thing you can do to the wireless industry is turn it into a utility. How innovative has your power company been over the last 80 years? Far, far less than the wireless industry has been in the last 10. 

The inter net went back to the rules and regulations of mid 2015, that was no dark age.  

If big telco corps get there way and completely kill off net neutrality, I will invest heavily in telco stocks, so at least I can get rich while the interweb melts to a shi**y corporate paid AD brought to you by a cesspool of wall street profiteers.

1 minute ago, nexgencpu said:

If big telco corps get there way and completely kill off net neutrality, I will invest heavily in telco stocks, so at least I can get rich while the interweb melts to a shi**y corporate paid AD brought to you by a cesspool of wall street profiteers.

There is no reason tot think that will happen. The 2015 net neutrality regulations have been completely removed. The internet remains unchanged. ISPs are in business to get customers, they dont do that by murdering the reasons customers would use their services. 

7 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

Recode? Hard to believe a from someone no one has heard of.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yea, Allegedly they dropped the story first (Saw this via a google search of 5G)and then Engadget re-hashed it.  Honestly, who knows where this Govt. 5G talk is going to end up. 

I did get a small chuckle that Recode were the only ones reporting this. 

Does this include free calling back to the US from South Korea during the OIympics? T-Mobile is offering free calling back to the US.
Marcelo says that you can connect back to your friends and family back in the United States without worrying about your bill so that leads me to believe that calling back home is included.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Does this include free calling back to the US from South Korea during the OIympics? T-Mobile is offering free calling back to the US.

Looks like Sprint and TMobile have jumped on the bandwagon. Verizon was the first with free data for the Olympics.

Sprint is really serious about getting the network together and able to actually compete with the other 3 this year. I wish this happened a year or so ago but hey, better late than never.
  • Like 4

Good update from John Saw re Magic Box:

http://newsroom.sprint.com/sprint-magic-box-gains-momentum.htm

Over 80,000 Boxes out there now across approx. 200 cities, which actually makes this one of the largest small cell deployments in the USA.

Supply has caught up to demand. AirSpan has boosted production.

Next milestone of 100,000 Boxes coming soon.

Plan to deploy more than 1 Million Boxes on the multi-year roadmap.

1/3rd are at businesses.

Edited by RedSpark
Added Info
  • Like 6

Good update from John Saw re Magic Box:
http://newsroom.sprint.com/sprint-magic-box-gains-momentum.htm
Over 80,000 Boxes out there now across approx. 200 cities, which actually makes this one of the largest small cell deployments in the USA.
Supply has caught up to demand.
Next milestone of 100,000 Boxes coming soon.
Plan to deploy more than 1 Million Boxes on the multi-year roadmap.
1/3rd are at businesses.

I just wish they did CA

• Like 2

They pick up CA from relay and they broadcast single carrier, I think 100mbs is more than enough for the size of it's coverage..
Every MB I've been connected to I have only seen 1-8 Mbps.

• Haha 1