Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

@Tengen31
mind explaining why?
Personally I won't log into anything (email, online accounts, ect) over a unsecured wifi connection but after I log in over the cell network I don't mind browsing it over unsecure wifi.
Perhaps I'm naive about other possible security issues so I''m just trying to learn if there's something else I'm not aware of [emoji4]
There is people who can and will steal your info when on a unprotected connection.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sleet said:

@Tengen31

mind explaining why?

Personally I won't log into anything (email, online accounts, ect) over a unsecured wifi connection but after I log in over the cell network I don't mind browsing it over unsecure wifi.

Perhaps I'm naive about other possible security issues so I''m just trying to learn if there's something else I'm not aware of :)

The following scenario does not happen often but it does happen.

Any open WiFi hotspot can be easily spoofed by a bad person.  The bad person runs their own WiFi hotspot with the same name as the one you are trying to connect to but with a stronger signal and you cannot see any difference between the good WiFi and the bad WiFi.  If you connect to the bad WiFi rather than the good WiFi, all your traffic will be routed through the bad person's device and then to the good Wifi so it will appear to work normally.  The bad WiFi has the ability to modify your internet traffic whenever your device asks for encrypted pages and any page with an account and password to strip the encryption off the pages so that they can capture your accounts and passwords.  At some future time, all the gathered pages, accounts, and passwords are sold on the dark web and someone takes over your email, banking and other accounts to send out spam or to take your money.

8 minutes ago, radem said:

The following scenario does not happen often but it does happen.

Any open WiFi hotspot can be easily spoofed by a bad person.  The bad person runs their own WiFi hotspot with the same name as the one you are trying to connect to but with a stronger signal and you cannot see any difference between the good WiFi and the bad WiFi.  If you connect to the bad WiFi rather than the good WiFi, all your traffic will be routed through the bad person's device and then to the good Wifi so it will appear to work normally.  The bad WiFi has the ability to modify your internet traffic whenever your device asks for encrypted pages and any page with an account and password to strip the encryption off the pages so that they can capture your accounts and passwords.  At some future time, all the gathered pages, accounts, and passwords are sold on the dark web and someone takes over your email, banking and other accounts to send out spam or to take your money.

Let's take an email account for example. Even if I log into my email on my mobile device at my home (secure) wifi or over Sprints (Secure) data. But I  keep the browser open so it remembers I'm logged in. they can still get my login info even if I just browse my inbox (without entering in my info?) later over an unsecured connection even though my device has a cookie (or whatever) letting the site know I'm already logged in?

47 minutes ago, sleet said:

Let's take an email account for example. Even if I log into my email on my mobile device at my home (secure) wifi or over Sprints (Secure) data. But I  keep the browser open so it remembers I'm logged in. they can still get my login info even if I just browse my inbox (without entering in my info?) later over an unsecured connection even though my device has a cookie (or whatever) letting the site know I'm already logged in?

On most sites that you have to log into for every page you navigate to in a browser, the server double checks that you are still logged in before sending the information back to you.  This is done by sending in-memory or on-disk cookie information back to the server you are requesting the page from on every page request.  This information is normally encrypted for banks and other sensitive sites but a bad WiFi hotspot can quietly switch you to pages that are not encrypted while sending and receiving pages that are encrypted from the site you are using.  The bad WiFi can then capture that cookie information.  This is far less useful than capturing your account and password but if you do not log off, that cookie information will be good for a short period of time before the server considers it timed out. 

The best ways of dealing with this problem are to not use open WiFi connections, to use a VPN connection to ensure your communications are always end to end encrypted, or to always verify that the padlock is in place on every sensitive page you go to.  You should always enable 2-factor authentication to any sensitive site that offers it as well.  This will stop people from getting into your email and then using that to get into your bank or other sites by clicking the I forgot my password link and getting the reset your password email that it sends.

• Like 1

Well, now that they have Altice and Cox, I'm hopeful they will sign with Charter Spectrum next.  Having two decent sized cable companies on board may help to convince the others to join in.

• Like 5

Well, now that they have Altice and Cox, I'm hopeful they will sign with Charter Spectrum next.  Having two decent sized cable companies on board may help to convince the others to join in.
I would still like to see USCC in the Sprint mix. Not just as Native roaming but, where Sprint LTE goes on USCC towers and, USCC LTE on Sprint towers.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

I would still like to see USCC in the Sprint mix. Not just as Native roaming but, where Sprint LTE goes on USCC towers and, USCC LTE on Sprint towers.

That Will not happen unless USCC is bought by sprint. They are competitors. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bill875 said:

Agreed but I think Charter will like to see results first plus aren’t they already partnering with Verizon?

I think both Comcast and Charter want to eventually offer cell service using CBRS and LAA spectrum in strand-mounted small cells and using Verizon for service outside their footprint. In Comcast's case they can even overlay their 600MHz spectrum in their coverage areas.

http://opensignal.com/reports/2018/01/usa/state-of-the-mobile-network

Sprint is on the come up. Still some work to do but they are indeed starting to give AT&T a run for their money. I can only image the gains that will show with this 6-8  billion that is going towards the network this year. 

• Like 2

Sprint is on the come up. Still some work to do but they are indeed starting to give AT&T a run for their money. I can only image the gains that will show with this 6-8  billion that is going towards the network this year. 
That claims Tmobile has more LTE availability than VZW. That's laughable and questionable. Also hopefully Sprint will get 3G towers to LTE. I've seen maps that show new towers but are only 3G while VZW is adding LTE only sites.

That claims Tmobile has more LTE availability than VZW. That's laughable and questionable. Also hopefully Sprint will get 3G towers to LTE. I've seen maps that show new towers but are only 3G while VZW is adding LTE only sites.

32 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

Verizon definitely has more LTE coverage than T-Mobile, although I think I’d say that within each provider’s footprint, T-Mobile  provides LTE a greater percent of the time than Verizon. 

Sprint is not deploying any new 3G-only sites. All new sites from here on out are either full NV sites (1x/3G/LTE) or LTE-only. 

• Like 3

Verizon definitely has more LTE coverage than T-Mobile, although I think I’d say that within each provider’s footprint, T-Mobile  provides LTE a greater percent of the time than Verizon. 
Sprint is not deploying any new 3G-only sites. All new sites from here on out are either full NV sites (1x/3G/LTE) or LTE-only. 
Well the map I saw in the S4GRU forums showed new towers and some says only 3g so far

5 hours ago, Tengen31 said:

Well the map I saw in the S4GRU forums showed new towers and some says only 3g so far

5 hours ago, mnjeepmale said:

Like the one in Le Center,MN

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Some of those are repeaters. LTE is uncertain on those. The full new sites are NV, and perhaps even tri-band. They will have LTE once the appropriate backhaul is acquired and integration crews have been at the site.

• Like 2

Some of those are repeaters. LTE is uncertain on those. The full new sites are NV, and perhaps even tri-band. They will have LTE once the appropriate backhaul is acquired and integration crews have been at the site.

Of course that statement could’ve been said anytime in the last 3+ years. No?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Johnner1999 said:

Of course that statement could’ve been said anytime in the last 3+ years. No?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess? We're specifically talking about new sites that are currently being added to the network. That's not something that has really been happening in the last three years on a widespread and consistent basis. So I'm not entirely sure what you mean.

17 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

Do they plan to keep 3G going for longer than 2020? Or will they become LTE repeaters at some point?

Edited by bigsnake49

37 minutes ago, Trip said:

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/01/sprint-5G-is-coming-soon/

Anyone else see this?  I wouldn't have assumed National Geographic to be a sensible place for wireless advertising, personally.

- Trip

I find it interesting when Marcelo mentioned we won't need 6G since 5G is more software base than previous generations.