Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I was just reading this lol. I think this memo sent out was the start of the new Sprint. It sounds like they are able to get get their hands dirty and actually compete. 
I would like to see them buy more FDD Spectrum so that when you lose B41 its not 5x5.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, RedSpark said:

It says "Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals from Sprint" at the top of the Promotions Page: https://www.sprint.com/landings/promotions/index.html

I think those offers are what they're running with this year.

Thanks.  That's too bad.

On a related note, despite having paid full price for my phone back in 2016 and Sprint's website telling me I'm upgrade eligible, Sprint "declined [my] upgrade" when I tried to check my eligibility for the LG G6 deal on the Best Buy website.  Tried to ask Sprint's chat, who blamed Best Buy.

I guess I'll have to go to Best Buy in person and see what they say.

- Trip

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Trip said:

Thanks.  That's too bad.

On a related note, despite having paid full price for my phone back in 2016 and Sprint's website telling me I'm upgrade eligible, Sprint "declined [my] upgrade" when I tried to check my eligibility for the LG G6 deal on the Best Buy website.  Tried to ask Sprint's chat, who blamed Best Buy.

I guess I'll have to go to Best Buy in person and see what they say.

- Trip

The deal is live at best buy right now if you go in person.

there's a huge thread over on Slickdeals.net regarding the LG G6 with a ton of details. I was able to walk into a best buy yesterday morning and get 2 phones changed out on the Framily plan I'm on. Another member on our Framily plan was able to get a phone as well.

I wasn't sure if I was going to use the G6 for myself of another family member so I had them put my Nexus 5 back on my line (so I don't know if I could have then bought another G6 on my line?) but rather then risk it I had them upgrade another line on our Framily plan that's not being used this month.

If you're considering it I'd try to get into a Best Buy today and see if you can get it before they're out of stock. The store said I could order but based on things people in the slickdeals.net thread are saying the online ordering could be hit or miss.

-J

3 hours ago, kg4icg said:

Maybe it's my cyber bully alarm going off, but shouldn't whoever leaked that memo, scratch off the direct office phone number for Claure?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tengen31 said:

I would like to see them buy more FDD Spectrum so that when you lose B41 its not 5x5.

Great idea.  How did no one else think of that?  Hey, maybe Spectrum Depot is holding a Black Friday sale.  Sprint should send somebody down to stand in line for the doorbusters.

AJ

• Like 5
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, WiWavelength said:

Great idea.  How did no one else think of that?  Hey, maybe Spectrum Depot is holding a Black Friday sale.  Sprint should send somebody down to stand in line for the doorbusters.

AJ

Seems Big Red and The Deathstar have full control of the Black Friday 96% off "Spectrum Sales"  

5a147eca84bc6969631426.gif

• Haha 1

AJ
Lol that's must likely the funniest thing you have said so far.

18 hours ago, sleet said:

The deal is live at best buy right now if you go in person.

If you're considering it I'd try to get into a Best Buy today and see if you can get it before they're out of stock. The store said I could order but based on things people in the slickdeals.net thread are saying the online ordering could be hit or miss.

-J

Just to follow up, I had no problem getting it at the store yesterday.  I was pleasantly surprised with how easily the process went, though it did take a while.

- Trip

• Like 1

I need some technical terms so I can raise an issue with the Essential Phone team.  It is well noted that the essential has reception problems but today, when I roamed on to US Cellular, it completely abandoned 1x and connected to LTE only.  Which is fine when connected to Sprint because the phone can pass text messages over LTE.  Howevever, while roaming, the phone would not send or receive text messages and could not make or receive calls because it was latched to USCC LTE.  My 5X, when it would stay connected to USCC LTE, would somehow get notification of a text or call and idle back over to 1x to take care of things.  Same deal when I would try to send a text as well.  Seems the essential is dead in the water under these conditions.

What may be happening here?  Anything I could mention to essential about how sprint handles this so maybe they could pin the problem down?

7 hours ago, swintec said:

I need some technical terms so I can raise an issue with the Essential Phone team.  It is well noted that the essential has reception problems but today, when I roamed on to US Cellular, it completely abandoned 1x and connected to LTE only.  Which is fine when connected to Sprint because the phone can pass text messages over LTE.  Howevever, while roaming, the phone would not send or receive text messages and could not make or receive calls because it was latched to USCC LTE.  My 5X, when it would stay connected to USCC LTE, would somehow get notification of a text or call and idle back over to 1x to take care of things.  Same deal when I would try to send a text as well.  Seems the essential is dead in the water under these conditions.

What may be happening here?  Anything I could mention to essential about how sprint handles this so maybe they could pin the problem down?

I've seen the same issue come up with the Nexus 5x from time to time. All the kinks haven't been hammered out when it comes to roaming with SRLTE. 

When on US Cellular roaming, my G5 was always on SRLTE.  I think that's how it determined whether to roam on LTE or not; if it had 1X on US Cellular, then LTE roaming was permitted.  The moment it picked up Sprint CDMA though, it dropped US Cellular LTE. 

Actually, as far as I can tell, US Cellular is SRLTE across the board.  My US Cellular phone, and my father-in-law's, both always have SRLTE running.

- Trip

3 hours ago, Trip said:

When on US Cellular roaming, my G5 was always on SRLTE.  I think that's how it determined whether to roam on LTE or not; if it had 1X on US Cellular, then LTE roaming was permitted.  The moment it picked up Sprint CDMA though, it dropped US Cellular LTE. 

Actually, as far as I can tell, US Cellular is SRLTE across the board.  My US Cellular phone, and my father-in-law's, both always have SRLTE running.

- Trip

While roaming on my 5X, I have seen signal check display being connected to USCC LTE (with no 1x connection) and then when a text comes in or goes to be sent, 1x pops up so it can take care of business and then it goes away.  This does not happen with the Essential.  It literally stays locked on LTE and nothing can be done with it except data (no phone calls, nothing). 

8 hours ago, Trip said:

- Trip

I have seen Sprint 1x alongside USCC LTE in Missouri, and NexTech LTE in Kansas. I'm not sure the 1x connection is the deciding factor now, they seem to have allowed for some extra wiggle room on the edge of Sprint coverage.

On 11/21/2017 at 9:25 AM, Tengen31 said:

A lot of markets don't have this issue, and as 3G continues to get refarmed, every market will have at least 20MHz PCS deployed in the future.

• Like 2

A lot of markets don't have this issue, and as 3G continues to get refarmed, every market will have at least 20MHz PCS deployed in the future.
I know but that doesn't do any good until 2019-2021. What I meant is get more for 20x20 where everyone else has it. They need it

14 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

I know but that doesn't do any good until 2019-2021. What I meant is get more for 20x20 where everyone else has it. They need it

Where and from whom can Sprint purchase PCS spectrum from that was auctioned decades ago and which currently sits unused and is for sale on the market?

14 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

It would be cool for Sprint to go after PCS licenses from the small providers or just license holders.  But there really isn't anything left in big markets, much less the top 100 even. 

Edited by red_dog007

Where and from whom can Sprint purchase PCS spectrum from that was auctioned decades ago and which currently sits unused and is for sale on the market?
It's called AWS. I'm sure there is B66 left

It would be cool for Sprint to go after PCS licenses from the small providers or just license holders.  But there really isn't anything left in big markets, much less the top 100 even. 
I wonder if it's possible to buy it from company like the last one listed here?4f5c1cc39ba7f5905f15fb5880410e13.jpg

It's called AWS. I'm sure there is B66 left

What? AWS1 and 3 is completely different from PCS. They're not even the same acronym for a reason.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Yeah, you can't say Sprint can get PCS spectrum from AWS.  That's like saying you can buy more Totino's Pizzas from Domino's.  PCS spectrum is completely different than AWS.  Sprint uses PCS and their phones support PCS.  Sprint does not use AWS, and only some of their phones support AWS-1.  And fewer of them support AWS-3.

If Sprint wanted to make a move on AWS, it would be a very long term play.  It would have very little short term benefit.  And there is not much AWS spectrum to move on either.

• Like 1