Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

At some point or another, Sprint needs to approach Dish about hosting their spectrum beginning with the 600MHz spectrum. Maybe not right away but if they want to be a truly nationwide carrier they need to reduce their roaming expenses and at least cover the highways.

• Like 3

While the stock price drops back to $5, Claure still keeps his 10 million Sprint shares bonus after the stock stayed above $8 last spring due to all this merger speculation.

Corporate executive compensation is a joke (robbery).

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/news/2017/04/25/sprint-ceo-stays-on-track-for-big-stock-bonus.html

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

At some point or another, Sprint needs to approach Dish about hosting their spectrum beginning with the 600MHz spectrum. Maybe not right away but if they want to be a truly nationwide carrier they need to reduce their roaming expenses and at least cover the highways.

I don't think Sprint alone will get Dish involved, because then it likely would interfere with Sprint's involvement with cable companies. My guess is if Masa really is serious about growing Sprint now, he is going to get to work on talks with cable companies. This deal with Altice, while I don't see much to it right now, I'll recognize Masa for his efforts in trying to get other companies involved in Sprint, which since T-Mobile didn't happen, he's going towards cable. I'm thinking this could end up in a big payday for him and Softbank, with positions on the board of a big combined cable deal that may involve Verizon eventually. Perhaps he was comparing this with what he would have got from T-Mobile, and decided this other opportunity was potentially a much better deal, and it may very well turn out that way, or possibly not.

Either way, its very doubtful he'd turn away an offer for T-Mobile to then go with Dish, which is not as good of a deal for Sprint. Whereas T-Mobile now may go for a deal with Dish, which would put T-Mobile in a great position to compete with AT&T, while if the route Sprint goes does not end up including Verizon, there could end up being national cable network of two companies, one that would have Sprint, while the other has Verizon. Its one of my few theories regarding cable, an industry I believe will at least undergo some consolidation now that there is so much cord cutting and tough competition among cable viewing bundles. If not for alot more consolidation or partnerships that would combine Sprint nd Verizon's wireless network's for a powerful way of delivering mobile video among served cable markets.

32 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

Dish 600MHZ is mostly a 5x5 nationwide and only 10x10 in the New York Tri-state area. Softbank dropped the ball, the Germans were never going to give Masa control of their company, therefore, Softbank needed to bid in the 600mhz auction. Instead, they allowed Tmobile to walk out with all the spectrum. 

I think Softbank did a bad calculation thinking that oh we could get Tmobile alone with their 600mhz holdings.

• Like 4

Just now, SprintNYC said:

Dish 600MHZ is mostly a 5x5 nationwide and only 10x10 in the New York Tri-state area. Softbank dropped ball, the Germans were never going to give Masa control of their company, therefore, Softbank needed to bid in the 600mhz auction. Instead, they allowed Tmobile to walk out with all the spectrum. 

I think Softbank did a bad calculation thinking that oh we could get Tmobile alone with their 600mhz holdings.

Dish and T-Mobile together would make great use of that spectrum. Better for Sprint though to focus on densification of band 41.

• Like 1

Just now, Arysyn said:

Dish and T-Mobile together would make great use of that spectrum. Better for Sprint though to focus on densification of band 41.

Charlie Ergen will die first before handing over Tmobile their spectrum holdings. If Verizon 28ghz and 37ghz bands become a disaster which I think it will because that won't penetrate a paper bag then they will go to the table and talk with Dish.

1 hour ago, ase500 said:

I don't think this is confusing. He never really wanted to sell the company. He wanted to give Sprint scale. If you pay attention to many of the deals he has made, he uses any means necessary. I am thinking his goal was to gain control of the merged company after the merger by buying much of the open market stock. However, I am thinking that DT wanted to give him nonvoting stock. This would never give him the opportunity to control the combined company. I don't think it was ever his intention to give up control permanently. He was trying the backdoor.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

THIS^^  :goodpost:

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Arysyn said:

If Dish and T-Mobile get together they will probably have to give up some of the 600MHz spectrum or allow roaming at very low rates.

Here's what FierceWireless has to say about the latest news:

http://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/softbank-s-son-doubling-down-sprint-will-triple-capex-to-6b-medium-term

Based on the CFO's statement, it sounds like the CapEx increase will occur in the "medium term".

“Let me remind everyone here on the call that our capex for fiscal year 2017 remains unchanged at $3.5 to $4 billion,” Sprint CFO Tarek Robbiati said this morning during a conference call to discuss the company’s new MVNO agreement with cable operator Altice. “Our chairman has guided you this morning to a spend of about $5 to $6 billion per year for the medium term. That’s what we intend to achieve.”

So based on that, we're looking at FY2018 for this... which puts us at 6/30/2018, and reported shortly thereafter during the Earnings Call, based on Sprint's Financial Calendar.

44 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

If Dish and T-Mobile get together they will probably have to give up some of the 600MHz spectrum or allow roaming at very low rates.

I'm thinking the two might give up some of the 700mhz spectrum and/or the combined AWS-3 spectrum holdings. I really doubt either would give up the 600mhz spectrum, especially since combined would make for a very powerful wide low-band.

My opinion that I've very heavily promoted here on S4GRU, sometimes exhaustively to great lengths, has been my idea that wireless carriers ought to do much more spectrum trades that give them fewer spectrum bands, but focus the ones they have on getting them wideband.

T-Mobile could try to get their 600mhz with Dish at 20x20, getting more when needed and trading the additional spectrum above 40mhz with other carriers for more mid-band spectrum. Dish already has 40mhz of AWS-4 spectrum, so if T-Mobile could pursue meetings with the other carriers in regards to their AWS-1, AWS-3, and PCS spectrum, it would be interesting to see how that would work out.

This even could be used for marketing for fair, open competition where the carriers are meeting together to work on their networks and allocating spectrum in the best way for their consumers in a fashion that doesn't involve talks of mergers, etc. and does this as a show of business working together in the free market.

I have mentioned this before and I am going to have to disagree with a dish merger deal, I think Sprint would be better off getting into talks with US Cellular in my opinion, if Sprint merged with US Cellular that would give Sprint a bit of an edge I think because US cellular have some nice untouched coverage that one one else has, for example parts of Maine, and various other areas that US cellular only seems to be the only one in town. (I could be wrong but IF I were Son I'd talk to US Cellular and see if they would be interested in a merger deal). 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Terrell352 said:

Could have swore 330mbps is the limit of config 2 on 2x2 mimo and 64 qam. Correct me if im wrong.

112.5 Mbps(2x2MIMO) x 3CA = 337.5 Mbps

The 339.93 Mbps is less than 1% difference and should be in the margin of error of the speed test. 

If you needed any more confirmation that Softbank plans on keeping Sprint, Masayoshi Son said,

"Even if it is tough for the next three or four years, on a five or ten year timescale scale it [Sprint] is a strategically indispensable company. U.S. telecoms is indispensable infrastructure and as an investing company SoftBank should have the ability to control such infrastructure."

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

If you needed any more confirmation that Softbank plans on keeping Sprint Masayoshi Son said,

SoftBank likes Sprint so much that Masayoshi Son legally added Sprint to his name.

What a difference a comma can make...

AJ

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, WiWavelength said:

SoftBank likes Sprint so much that Masayoshi Son legally added Sprint to his name.

AJ

I usually overuse commas so I'm surprised that I missed one there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, joshnys8913 said:

I have mentioned this before and I am going to have to disagree with a dish merger deal, I think Sprint would be better off getting into talks with US Cellular in my opinion, if Sprint merged with US Cellular that would give Sprint a bit of an edge I think because US cellular have some nice untouched coverage that one one else has, for example parts of Maine, and various other areas that US cellular only seems to be the only one in town. (I could be wrong but IF I were Son I'd talk to US Cellular and see if they would be interested in a merger deal). 

I think Sprint would be better merging with US Cellular also. I've been reading the merger cancellation article comments on TmoNews where some people are suggesting a T-Mobile merger with US Cellular, which I think is a big NO! I don't want to see any executives from there getting positions in Tmobile and making some bad decisions after getting on John Legere's good side. Whereas Sprint would do much better keeping that from happening in their company. Besides, Sprint already has a history working with US Cellular and is able to deal with that company in a way that works for them.

Dish is a much better suitor for T-Mobile. While I understand the doubts some of you have about Ergen and his ability to work with Legere, and even his retirement, its got to happen sometime, and right now it makes the best sense to go with T-Mobile. Verizon isn't a bad choice either, but Verizon, like Sprint, both seem that they are going towards a cable deal.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, SprintNYC said:

Dish 600MHZ is mostly a 5x5 nationwide and only 10x10 in the New York Tri-state area.

No...it’s 5x5 nationwide, 10x10 in many large metros, 15x15 in San Francisco and Miami and 20x20 in the New York Tri-State area. 

See here if you’re curious: http://maps.spectrumgateway.com/dish-600-mhz.html

1 hour ago, SprintNYC said:

Talk about  Salty Magentas. LOL Jesus

There really are alot of crazy Sprint haters online that say some odd things, or they'll take a reasonable criticism then turn it into something that is very inappropriate. Then there are those that appear to have a terminal condition where Sprint hate is like a symptom reliever for them. Instead of taking pills at various intervals throughout the day, they go online to say something bad about Sprint. Its a nasty thing!

However, some of the comments I've seen regarding Masa makes sense, and its appearing to me that in a way, Softbank has become a shield for Sprint. I can't even blame those targeting Softbank because its a very different situation than what's been happening with Sprint. Softbank doesn't have the recent history of financial troubles Sprint has had. Although thankfully, Sprint's executive employees the past few years have improved things for Sprint where they can, despite being limited.

Softbank could have resolved this sooner but didn't. So to that I understand the frustrations. Hopefully now though, Softbank really intends to spend on Sprint.

9 hours ago, SprintNYC said:

Charlie Ergen will die first before handing over Tmobile their spectrum holdings. If Verizon 28ghz and 37ghz bands become a disaster which I think it will because that won't penetrate a paper bag then they will go to the table and talk with Dish.

Man, I remember when Sprint's 2.5GHz was said it couldn't penetrate a plastic bag.  You going to give 28GHz a thicker paper bag!? How dare you!!! lol

28GHz wavelength is ~0.4in and 37GHz is ~0.3in.  This spectrum isn't practical for consumers direct usage.  It's meant for the back-end, should make for cheaper and quicker site deployments however. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WiWavelength said:

AJ

Why are you wasting your time?  The absurdly egregious grammatical mistakes that occur with astonishing regularity by the members on this page never cease to amaze me. It's like a joke but far, far worse. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ase500 said:

I don't think this is confusing. He never really wanted to sell the company. He wanted to give Sprint scale. If you pay attention to many of the deals he has made, he uses any means necessary. I am thinking his goal was to gain control of the merged company after the merger by buying much of the open market stock. However, I am thinking that DT wanted to give him nonvoting stock. This would never give him the opportunity to control the combined company. I don't think it was ever his intention to give up control permanently. He was trying the backdoor.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

That is contrary to what is known. He did shop selling the company completely right around the first time the Mobile merger fell through. No one wanted to buy the company. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SprintNYC said:

Talk about  Salty Magentas. LOL Jesus

Sprint can prove everyone wrong and go for maxing out investment since no one believes it this time around. 

• Like 1